The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 Signs the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Is Closing

SCVRUSH

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, you call Carter's performance overrated even though you admit that he scored some big goals, yet you call Alex Burrows clutch and not overrated for the exact same reasons and you admit that he wasn't a huge producer either? I appreciate your positivity and support for the Canucks but you sound like a major homer when you make comments like that.

Our window for legitimately contending is closing. With the current group I think we have one more very good shot this year, and a lesser shot next year. After that it's tough seeing them being a top team unless some of our young players massively overachieve.

Detroit Red Wings say hello.Over half of their cup winning teams were Europeans in 2002 and 2008.

The 2008 Detroit cup winner had 9 Swedes,alone, while the 2002 Detroit cup winner's core had 10 Europeans with names like Fedorov,Larionov,Datsyuk,Hasek,Holmstrom,Lidstrom,Slegr and Krupp.

In fact,if anybody cares to look we can find that the top ten scorers for the 2008 Stanley Cup winners from Detroit had 9 Europeans and only one North American-an American,Brian Rafalski.Not even one Canadian:

http://redwings.nhl....season=20072008

There is so much racism in this post/statement and I find it to be offensively ignorant,very similar to Don Cherry ignoramus Canadiana propaganda.

Buddy,water freezes all over the WORLD's northern hemisphere,not just in Canada.

http://redwings.nhl....ge.htm?id=44034

http://redwings.nhl....ge.htm?id=44033

I love it when people try to predict the future in pro sports.

Did people really think last season Phoenix would make the West finals?

Was Ray Whitney too old to help them get there?

I remember hearing the 'too old' crap in 02 about Detroit. Guess what they did that year.

The Canucks have the talent to win. They will need focus, a desire to win and yes, some luck (every team that wins gets a few bounces) but they can do it. They are a top 5, maybe top 3 hockey club overall, and considering they are going into this season (if it starts) as consecutive Pres. Trophy champs, I would say they have as good a shot as they ever had.

Well yeah but that's my opinon, i mean CBC acted like he was getting points every game and like he was Kesler vs Nashville, he was good in playoff for them, but I think they made it see like he was great. And I just said big goals to give him some credit, but really he scored like one big goal, that overtime goal in game two, where as Burrows is more clutch for the reasons I said, he's done it a # of times.

You also have to remember everything else Burrow's brings that Carter doesn't Carter is a better player I'm not saying he isn't but Burrows is better defensively, he can kill penalties better which is huge.

When I say clutch I don't mean he is a huge producer that is PPG every year, I mean he scores BIG goals and Burrows does that, I think you don't understand what I meant by clutch.

Yeah true, your right that happen's to people, but I think you have to look at this particular case.

I dont think Garrison will become satisfied or whatever, he's in his hometown like he has always wanted so he will be training and he will come out and try to exceed those expectations and do his best and get better, and like he said himself he thinks he can be better so that's exciting.

It's something you think about forsure but honestly like.. he's 27, I think when that happen's the players are usually like 22-24 or else 28-32 and there usually forwards, if you think about it. Most of the time that happen's the player is forward and then they don't have success.

He may not turn out but I'm just not that worried really, he had been a reliable defensive defensemen before and he just worked on his shot and added that offense so even if he doesn't get as many goals, I think he will still be useful.

I don't really care what CBC said because I have my own eyes and I'm not going to be persuaded to think a certain way because of them. But what I don't understand is that you mentioned yourself that Carter scored big goals and yet you called him overrated when you said that Burrows scores clutch goals but you don't consider him overrated? What is the difference between scoring clutch goals and scoring big goals? In my eyes, big goals are clutch and clutch goals are big. Now you're saying that I have to keep in mind all of the other things that Burrows does but you admit that Carter is the better player? So, if Carter is the better player, wouldn't he have to be doing other things on the ice to help his team win as well.

In saying all of that, I agree that Burrows does do many things to help the team win and does score important goals but even you have admitted that Carter has done the same and is the better player yet you consider him overrated? How is this possible? I just think that this is a very homeristic point of view.

Wow, so you're now saying that for the most part the only players who take a step back after signing big contracts are forwards between the ages of 22-24 and 28-32 while miraculously Garrison is a defenseman and 27? Do you have any facts at all to support this argument? And I wasn't just talking about hockey as it happens in every sport. I think that it's very close minded to think that this only happens to hockey forwards in the age ranges you mentioned.

Also, I don't doubt that Garrison will be hungry but I know of other players who have signed big contracts who have been extremely hungry who crapped the bed after they signed their big contracts. With Garrison coming back home to play under all of the scrutiny he will be under, is only going to add to the pressure. Sometimes you can try too hard and this is one of the things that many players in his situation have done, which compounds problems. Again, I hope this isn't going to happen but it's a real probablity.

Our window to win closes once the Sedins stop being elite offensive players, which is right around the PPG mark. Their game is based on their hockey sense, so they will remain elite for longer, but a natural regression is inevitable. Personally, I think they have 2 more years at the elite level, and thus our window to win is 2 years as well.

Gillis needs to capitalize on our chance to win in the next 2 years. Trade a first round pick and prospect to get that top 6 forward at the deadline FFS. This isn't about just having a competitive team every year and selling at least 1 round in the playoffs, this is about winning a cup.

If we go all in and lose, I'll understand. But if we fail to go all in, and sort of fade out over the next few years, that's unacceptable.

A bold move is required here Mr. Gillis, are you up to the task.

gillis is all talk about bold moves. he should have gone all in last playoffs when he was going in with a team that came within a game of winning it all. now he all he has to work with is a team that fell 15 games short. the history of fail continues.......

There's just so many issues with this team that I can't see them winning the cup. They have absolutely no chemistry on the second line nor do they get any secondary scoring in the playoffs. Where was Raymond? Where was Higgins? Where was Kesler? Where was Edler? Where was Luongo? Sedin and Schneider were the only guys who actually looked like they cared out there. It was really sad just watching the rest of the team leave them out to dry like that. They played their heart out and everyone else was just there to cash in it seemed. And our defense, while very good offensively make so many fundamental errors in their own zone that it's laughable.

I hope I'm wrong though.

There's just so many issues with this team that I can't see them winning the cup. They have absolutely no chemistry on the second line nor do they get any secondary scoring in the playoffs. Where was Raymond? Where was Higgins? Where was Kesler? Where was Edler? Where was Luongo? Sedin and Schneider were the only guys who actually looked like they cared out there. It was really sad just watching the rest of the team leave them out to dry like that. They played their heart out and everyone else was just there to cash in it seemed. And our defense, while very good offensively make so many fundamental errors in their own zone that it's laughable.

I hope I'm wrong though.

2 more years, or the length of contract remaining with Sedins, sounds about right. Not saying the twins won't be effective after, or even put up PPG or close to, but I don't think they'll match up well in the playoffs with other first liners on the compete front. Henkrik obviously still has it, as evidenced by his effort with LA, but that second gear won't always be there as anybody into their 30s can attest.

I don't think it is an accident that the last few Stanley Cup winners (Pens, Hawks, Bruins, Kings, have been young teams where the top line and most productive forwards have been in their prime or close to. Red Wings did it with a considerable younger Datsyuk and Zetterberg before that and haven't been close since.

Since we ain't drafting in the top 10 anytime soon (except we have a 2% chance at MacKinnon if there is no season) the thing to do is really stock up on high end hit or miss prospects and pray that some of them make it. The Luango trade can help: get a 1st round pick if Bjugstad or a comparable can't be had, and stay away from 2nd/3nd line tweeners. We have plenty on the roster and most recent 1st rounders project much the same.

Archived