The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

Strange thing is dinna drink .. I used to love Glenlivet, but no longer imbibe .. so never, ever write off my ramblings as alcohol induced .. I have met Doana, both when he was in Junior and since he invested money in my old home town ..

I call him Doana, as in "Prima Doana" .. if you dinna like what I have to say about him, or anyone else, then disagree all you want, just stop making it personal .. I make comments about Doana and you make personal, insulting comments about me .. frack off, riffraff ..

With every passing day, Doana looks more like a selfish tool to me .. that is my opinion and it will not change despite what you and the rest of the people on this site think .. that is the beauty of having a mind and an opinion in this free society .. I can express it any time I wish .. if you canna handle my opinions, then feel free to ignore me .. just stop with the personal insults .. it will make you a "Weiser" man ..

YOU, Sir, are a lucky man .. so, do you, too, think Doana is a bad fit in Vancouver and a cowardly cheap shot artist?? .. or are you enamored with his studly play and rugged dimness? .. or did your posterior not share that with you? .. beyond the personal insults shared here, this is a Doana thread .. please .. share your opinion on Doana and spare me the personal commentary ..

My personal opinion is that Doan is going to sign with Phoenix because they are going to get the sale finalized before the 15th of September. If that for some reason falls through (which I think most Canucks fans are hoping for) then I see Doan having to choose between 4 teams: Rangers, Sabres, Penguins and the Canucks. I'm inclined to think (and hope) that Doan signs with us for the contract we offered him (4 years 5mil per), because I just can't picture him taking his family and more money, and moving to Buffalo (who wants to live there?). As for Pittsburgh or New York, both are obviously strong teams, but fall in the same boat as Vancouver, and when it comes down to it, I hope the various connections he has to BC pull him and his family here. He's a solid player on and off the ice; would love to have him both on the roster and in the community. And lastly I think he'd thrive in the high pressure hockey market that is Vancouver.

Also since you asked for an opinion, I think you should stop referring to him as Doana, and I also think you should take a break from refreshing the page. CDC can do crazy things to you!

My personal opinion is that Doan is going to sign with Phoenix because they are going to get the sale finalized before the 15th of September. If that for some reason falls through (which I think most Canucks fans are hoping for) then I see Doan having to choose between 4 teams: Rangers, Sabres, Penguins and the Canucks. I'm inclined to think (and hope) that Doan signs with us for the contract we offered him (4 years 5mil per), because I just can't picture him taking his family and more money, and moving to Buffalo (who wants to live there?). As for Pittsburgh or New York, both are obviously strong teams, but fall in the same boat as Vancouver, and when it comes down to it, I hope the various connections he has to BC pull him and his family here. He's a solid player on and off the ice; would love to have him both on the roster and in the community. And lastly I think he'd thrive in the high pressure hockey market that is Vancouver.

Also since you asked for an opinion, I think you should stop referring to him as Doana, and I also think you should take a break from refreshing the page. CDC can do crazy things to you!

September 15th is gonna be a big day. We'll finally know how the Doan chronicles end, and I think that's also the day they will officially lockout if there is gonna be one?

I still hope he comes here. I don't think the Phoenix sale is going to be completed by then... I sincerely doubt the Phoenix sale is going to be done at all.

I'm really curious about one thing.

Doan says he's waiting for Phx till Sept 15th at midnight (termination of current CBA). But if the sale doesn't go through by that time, what's his plan? He's gonna have to negotiate a contract with another team by that same deadline. I realize he's received contract offers by multiple teams. But you just don't accept a contract from an unknown team, there is fine tuning that needs to take place and that takes time. Is his agent currently negotiating those fine details with other teams in case Phx deal falls through? Logically, he'd have to.

Sorry but PHX is going to Seattle not Quebec. Quebec has already proven they could not support a NHL team and now you want to put another one back in there. That province cannot run its financial affairs and currently receives about $15 billion in direct subsidies from the rest of Canada. Yes, the NHL has been subsidizing PHX and that would not change moving them to Quebec City. When Quebec runs a balanced budget then I would support a team going there, not until then.

I have two puppies and many hugs .. what I need is to be able to express an unpopular opinion without having personal attacks directed my way .. I have a problem when people make twist the topics discussed here into personal slights .. Doana could give a rats rectum what I say .. too many other folks take it upon themselves to "defend" his honor .. it is laughable, really .. thanks for the thought tho .. :)

There is a big difference between expressing an unpopular opinion, and doing it in the most abrasive way possible and then sticking around for a fight with the first person to comment.

You don't sound stupid, so I am sure you recognize that you were fishing for conflict. Go ahead, play the plaintiff/victim, and say "Oh it's just my opinion". It's pretty obvious what you're commenting in this thread for.

The Oilers, Flames, Jets, and Senators were all treading water in 1995. The Nordiques had three strong seasons with considerable fan support within Quebec before moving to Colorado - (and the Avalanche obviously inherited a team ready to enjoy immediate success.)

The issue that the Province of Quebec couldn't or can't manage their finances may have merit but is slightly off topic and doesn't have much to do with the corporation/franchise that was the Quebec Nordiques - and likewise concerning the idea that the Nordiques move has anything to do with the fiscal policies of the provincial government (or it's relationship within federalism) or Quebec City's particular inability to sustain that franchise. (Ironically, in 1995, the Province of Quebec would not 'subsidize'/bail out the Nordiques.)

The Canadian dollar was worth 89 cents US in 1991 - by 1995 it was worth 71 cents - it dropped off nearly 18 cents in under 4 years. The country as a whole felt the effects of the exchange rate.

Alll the smaller Canadian markets were facing the fact that they were not viable financially in that context. Edmonton and Calgary hung onto their franchises by the skin of their teeth. NHL salaries were increasing rapidly, were paid in US dollars, and in addition, there was no salary cap to attempt to maintain the relative competitiveness of smaller market teams. The result was a standoff where Bettman did one of the few things I regard in his career - he convinced the US franchises that it was necessary to create equalization due to the effects of the exchange rate.

The context for small market teams is entirely different today with the parity of the dollar and the significant differences of the CBA. Imo Quebec City is every bit as viable as peripheral, non-hockey (small) market US franchises.

Doan may feel loyal to Phoenix, but the only reason there is a team there is due to the conditions in the 1990s that was strangling the Canadian franchises. I for one (as a Jets fan at the time) have a hard time feeling sorry for Phoenix if their team headed back north, and their captain Northwest.

The Oilers, Flames, Jets, and Senators were all treading water in 1995. The Nordiques had three strong seasons with considerable fan support within Quebec before moving to Colorado - (and the Avalanche obviously inherited a team ready to enjoy immediate success.)

The issue that the Province of Quebec couldn't or can't manage their finances may have merit but is slightly off topic and doesn't have much to do with the corporation/franchise that was the Quebec Nordiques - and likewise concerning the idea that the Nordiques move has anything to do with the fiscal policies of the provincial government (or it's relationship within federalism) or Quebec City's particular inability to sustain that franchise. (Ironically, in 1995, the Province of Quebec would not 'subsidize'/bail out the Nordiques.)

The Canadian dollar was worth 89 cents US in 1991 - by 1995 it was worth 71 cents - it dropped off nearly 18 cents in under 4 years. The country as a whole felt the effects of the exchange rate.

Alll the smaller Canadian markets were facing the fact that they were not viable financially in that context. Edmonton and Calgary hung onto their franchises by the skin of their teeth. NHL salaries were increasing rapidly, were paid in US dollars, and in addition, there was no salary cap to attempt to maintain the relative competitiveness of smaller market teams. The result was a standoff where Bettman did one of the few things I regard in his career - he convinced the US franchises that it was necessary to create equalization due to the effects of the exchange rate.

The context for small market teams is entirely different today with the parity of the dollar and the significant differences of the CBA. Imo Quebec City is every bit as viable as peripheral, non-hockey (small) market US franchises.

Doan may feel loyal to Phoenix, but the only reason there is a team there is due to the conditions in the 1990s that was strangling the Canadian franchises. I for one (as a Jets fan at the time) have a hard time feeling sorry for Phoenix if their team headed back north, and their captain Northwest.

Well said, you made many valid points. My anti eastern baise raised it's ugly head.

I will not argue that Canadian NHL teams do well at the gate but that is not the business plan for success in today's NHL. The future is broadcast revenue and Bettman has proven it over the past 7 years. He has doubled revenue in that period. So even tho my jaded view of Quebec City doesn't stand up in the 'gate revenue' context I stand by my belief that Seattle makes more sense. It makes more sense from the current NHL business plan pespective as Seattle is a major USA market and also from the Canuck perspective. I would love to have another NHL city that close. For that matter I lean towards Van being in the Pacific Division even tho I would miss seeing those young Oilers develope.

Archived