The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

$10,000, looks like they really showed Brady by putting him in the poor house.

Gotta love symbolic punishments.

Let's be realistic. That's the main purpose of a fine like that. I don't see it very logical that the league would fine a guy like $1,000,000 for 1 act. The Players Union would never allow that in a million years.

Anybody going to be watching the Pro Bowl tomorrow? Do they not have a skills competition like the NHL and NBA all-star games? I like the skills competition better than the actual all-star games themselves.

no skills comp

there's the senior bowl, which is on right now on NFL Network (channel 150 on Shaw edit: in BC anyway) if you're really hurting for some football to watch. personally I'm watching the Sharks and Avalanche

Edited by GodzillaDeuce

If the Patriots ever want to win another SB in the near future they need to go all in next year.

Sign a legit WR. Bowe, Wallace, and Jennings are all free agents.

Sign a coupe of pass rushers. Avril and Umenyiora?

They need an all-star corner too.

However, given Bellichick's track record. He won't go out and spend the big bucks and the Patriots will have the same results.

This is the sad truth. I don't see BB spending money to acquire the guys you listed. I also don't see him signing Talib to a long term deal. Truth be told, I have a feeling BB let's Talib walk, or signs him to a 1 year deal to see what he can do with a full 16 games under BB's system. If it is the 1 year scenario, I sense Talib will have a great season next year. They do need a legitimate #1 receiver to open the underneath up for Welker, Gronk and Hernandez.

I think the Harbowl is going to be a low scoring defensive battle. As much as I hate 49ers fans, I'm a huge fan of Kaepernick and want to see the 49ers win, I also don't want to see Ray Ray win another ring. Just the fact that he (CK) came in halfway through the season, knocked off the Packers and Falcons and looks like a veteran out there amazes me. Reminds me a little of Brady, coming in for the injured starter then keeping the starting job all the way to Super Bowl (except Brady did it in his 2nd, not rookie year).

I take the good with the bad. Sucks we lost, but we won a nail biter last year. Can't be in the finals every year. Even Penguins fans have to settle for early playoff exits with Crosby and Malkin on their team. 5 SB appearances during Tom's 10 (knee injury season omitted) years as a starter is a blessing for this team and our fans. I'm glad I've gotten to witness Brady's career and can talk about it with my kids, much like the generation before mine talks about Elway, Montana..etc. Plus, he's got a good 3-5 years left him in, so if he gets a chance at a 4th ring, I can't wait to watch it happen, if not, it'll be fun seeing how the next guy at the helm after him does.

Ps: Not going to get involved in the whole "haven't won since spygate" debate you guys have going on with Cody Markus Alexander, but just my 2 cents: As much as it is coincidental that we haven't won a bowl since 04, I highly doubt circumstances such as Brady driving down the field with a little over a minute left against the greatest show on turf and the panthers and getting AV in field goal range both times relied on videotape..that was all TB.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Ps: Not going to get involved in the whole "haven't won since spygate" debate you guys have going on with Cody Markus Alexander, but just my 2 cents: As much as it is coincidental that we haven't won a bowl since 04, I highly doubt circumstances such as Brady driving down the field with a little over a minute left against the greatest show on turf and the panthers and getting AV in field goal range both times relied on videotape..that was all TB.

I'm going to state up front that I am not saying for sure that the tapes had anything to do with the victories either, BUT...

As a football coach myself, I know how much seeing 1 extra thing on gamefilm can affect the gameplan, and thus the outcome on gameday. Unless the games were blowouts, you cannot say for certain that spygate did not in fact help the Patriots win any of their SB's.

• Upvote 1

Against the Eagles and Panthers I thought the Patriots were the better team, but the Rams game is the one that I will forever question.

I don't remember who exactly it was, I think Torry Holt, but he said that it was almost as if the Patriots knew what they were doing every play. (This was a team that was putting up 35+ every game). He also mentioned that when they changed the gameplan was when they started having success, I think they got all their points in the second half, not sure though.

I don't know, I think the penalty they got was pretty weak and if it wasn't so early in Goddell's time as GM, they probably woulda got slapped harder.

But, it's sort of moot unless there is concrete evidence that comes out proving the only reason the Patriots won was because of spying on the opposing team, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

Against the Eagles and Panthers I thought the Patriots were the better team, but the Rams game is the one that I will forever question.

I don't remember who exactly it was, I think Torry Holt, but he said that it was almost as if the Patriots knew what they were doing every play. (This was a team that was putting up 35+ every game). He also mentioned that when they changed the gameplan was when they started having success, I think they got all their points in the second half, not sure though.

I don't know, I think the penalty they got was pretty weak and if it wasn't so early in Goddell's time as GM, they probably woulda got slapped harder.

But, it's sort of moot unless there is concrete evidence that comes out proving the only reason the Patriots won was because of spying on the opposing team, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

Same goes for the 07 Pats offense (avg 37pts/game) who were held to 14 by NYG. But like you and Champions said, there's no concrete evidence that opens your eyes and says "right here, this is where knowing the signals helped them."

I agree Champion. As someone who helps coach a JV team, seeing something while watching game film for a second time, that you might've missed the first one, makes you go, "woah, ok, we need to change this then to counter what they're going to do."

But as people have said over the years, everyone has a little extra film on their opponents. Like Suggs (I think) said before the AFCCG, I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of, "we'll be fine, we know what all his (brady) audibles mean, we'll be able to do adjust"

Same goes for the 07 Pats offense (avg 37pts/game) who were held to 14 by NYG. But like you and Champions said, there's no concrete evidence that opens your eyes and says "right here, this is where knowing the signals helped them."

I agree Champion. As someone who helps coach a JV team, seeing something while watching game film for a second time, that you might've missed the first one, makes you go, "woah, ok, we need to change this then to counter what they're going to do."

But as people have said over the years, everyone has a little extra film on their opponents. Like Suggs (I think) said before the AFCCG, I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of, "we'll be fine, we know what all his (brady) audibles mean, we'll be able to do adjust"

Haha, as I was typing it I knew you'd bring up 07'. And to the Patriots' credit, the years they won they actually had good defenses. We'll never know the extent to which spygate helped.

Fun fact..... but not trying to fuel the fire too...

Peyton Manning hasn't won since spygate either.

LOL I think this post had the opposite affect you were hoping.

Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl WHILE the Patriots were supposedly cheating. Far more impressive than winning won after they were caught.

Nice try though.

LOL I think this post had the opposite affect you were hoping.

Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl WHILE the Patriots were supposedly cheating. Far more impressive than winning won after they were caught.

Nice try though.

And he hasn't been in the Super Bowl since his one ring. Sorry but almost all the teams in the NFL was part of spy gate, it's just the Pats got caught big time for it.

And he hasn't been in the Super Bowl since his one ring. Sorry but almost all the teams in the NFL was part of spy gate, it's just the Pats got caught big time for it.

You consistently prove that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Peyton loss to the Saints 3 years ago.