The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

This is an argument from consequence. What's more, it doesn't even make sense. You reduce the experience of being alive to that of being a contest on American Idol. Except instead of being judged by Simon Cowell, we are judged by God. As if the thoughts and actions of another entity is what gives our life purpose, and animates us, and gives life it's color. This is an illusion that is only possible if you have first been massively dissociated from the depth, power and beauty of your own nature. Of what you are. For it's own sake. And not for it's ability to satisfy some sky-daddy who hasn't fulfilled his own purpose and so tries to live vicariously through his creations, and forces his enmeshment issues on to them. Talk about a gong show. The creator needs a girlfriend or something. Someone who is equal to him and won't allow themselves to be pushed around. I think then he might mature a little and understand the basic fact that purpose is an organic process that plays itself out from within, not something that can be magically bestowed upon you because of the verbal incantations of a magic man with a dictator complex. .

And your proselyting is what's wrong with your religion. You do it by hook or by crook, like every other scam artist or cult out there.

There's no difference between what you Christians who proselytize at the end of a checkbook do in Africa and other places around the modern world versus what past Christians did at the end of a blade in Europe and around the world long ago.

At least you have the dignity to call it what it is..... a command to recruit customers to buy the product that you've bought into for the profits of those in control of the means of manufacturing of said product.

What a scam. The largest Ponzi scheme ever perpetrated on humanity, and you sucker recruiters don't even really see a dime and do it for a reward in 'another life'....*wink wink*.

How so many smart people can be so dumb is astounding and never ceases to amaze and entertain me.

Not an argument from consequence. It's an argument for lifestyle.

Why live without intrinsic meaning?

Why do anything in life?

Why not just roll over and die?

Deep down you believe you DO have purpose, which drives you. Trust me, I have a friend who seriously has no purpose in life and he can't sleep at night. He goes days on end without sleeping, just contemplating what his priorities are and why. He has admitted to me that he is so empty inside. He says he doesn't know his purpose.

What do I gain for your salvation?

It is not a scam, in which you should watch how condescending you are, because if said to a Libyan you might have just caused another American citizen to die.

If its a scam to tell the truth, then I'm sorry for being honest ;)

Do you smoke? Do you know someone whom you love smoke?

Do you care if this person is causing damage to his/her health? Would you feel ill if you let those around you perish?

You may disagree with Christians, but it's basically it. There is a truth that saves lives. You may not believe it, but we do. So if it's our genuine and honest care that bugs you, the sorry. You have to live with it. We live in a culture that cares for each other, and that's the cost of it. You are pestered by people that care about you. If you don't like it, then you can live in another country.

Unfortunately, without proof of a creator, the 'reason' you have for life is a sham. So what's better?

If the choice is inconvenient truths or reassuring lies, then most people will choose reassuring lies. This is human nature. Most of us don't want to be 'freed of the matrix.'

Theists would have the purpose of life being 'to die and be with God.' Atheists would have the purpose of life being 'to die and rot.' However, if you find the purpose in life is 'to learn', then what exactly is wrong with that?

Learn. Grow. Change. Overcome. These are things that are the basis of what makes us human. Yet, we're willing to toss that aside because we think we know what happens when we die? Arrogance. Yes, you can learn in a spiritual way as well. But that search should come from within, not dictated by some 'fairy tale' (thanks, ss).

We are living in a time of ever-increasing danger due to battles bewteen religions and science. But when the two worlds come together for the collective good, that opens the door to endless possibilities. ie. Learning without prejudice.

Meanwhile, some of the best people in our history were agnostic. Einstein, Da Vinci, Newton, Hawking, Galileo, Tesla, Franklin, Darwin, Shakespeare: Represent the best of what we have to offer. All agnostic.

Seems to me that when we put aside our petty differences and instead focus on learning, we are capable of true greatness. That is the path that we should take, is it not?

your argument makes no sense at all... just because you want something, doesnt mean thats the way it is.. yes, it would be fantastic if we could live forever and remember everything we did. but just because that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside doesnt mean it's the way things are. The ONLY reason to think something like that happens is because some 2000 year old book told you that.

Archived