The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speeding ticket in Washington State.

Ossi Vaananen

True but they also say spend kills. It does not kill. It is the driver. If speed kills then why are not all Germans dead as you can drive on the autobahn as fast as your car will go. I was driving 240 kmh on there lull the time and I am still alive.

Yes, i misread 60mph and thought it was 50mph.

If it was 60mph, then it's still 27kph over. Not as bad, but obviously enough to get a ticket.

If you don't want to get a ticket, then don't go 20kph over the posted limit. This is actually an unwritten rule the cops around here use for their traps. (admitted to me by a cop)

Where are you from Ossi? If you're from the North then I suggest that you don't pay the ticket. If I was the one that got the ticket I'd pay it as I'm frequently driving down the coast (Washington, Oregon, California, and to a lesser extent Nevada and Arizona). If it was any other state I wouldn't pay it (how often in your life time would you be driving in Colorado, not more than three times).

* just an example but you know what I'm saying...

As for the laughable speeding debate...I've clicked over 100 mph (160kph). I'm not endangering anybody but myself when I'm going stupidly fast on a empty freeway. Obviously I wouldn't do that with traffic or on a windy road. If I get caught, I get caught, big whoop.

* I don't want to post the actual speed...somebody will go police officer on me LOL.

My normal speeds:

I-5 - 80 mph (128 kph)

B.C. - 71 mph (113.6 kph)

These speeds are fairly normal (traffic flow).

I've been driving for the last 7 years (actually 8, I drove before I even got my learner's). *I should be thrown in jail according to some of you...ROFL.

I've only gotten two tickets (speeding and running a red light).

I run red's all the time (at night on quiet intersections when 100% safe, why wait for no reason). Stop, wait a couple of seconds and go.

UPDATE:

Instead of paying the ticket I have opted to check the box titled "mitigation hearing". This option means I acknowledge my wrong doing and dispute the price of the ticket rather than the ticket itself. I figure its worth it, at best I get the ticket dropped down (from what I've heard by more than half) and if I lose its the same fine. This will also delay the ticket from being processed by at least a month. I can have the mitigation hearing with the judge via email - complain about being a student with limited budget etc. and get the fine reduced without ever leaving Canada. I think this is the best option.

Guest BuckFoston

WA state is the most anal when it comes to driving, which is not a bad thing, but they take this stuff very seriously. Pay the fine and get on with it, or don't do the crime if you can't to do the time. (or in this case pay up)

I hired a guy at one point who was a pretty decent employee for the most part. My company wanted us to attend a convention that was taking place down south. This is when I (and the owner of the company) found out that this employee had earned himself a criminal record in the States and was still banned from entering the country. So he didn't go.

Guess who got permanently laid off at the next slow-down of business?

Stuff like this can have lasting and widespread repercussions. Just pay the stupid $175.

well. one accident I was going over the Patella bridge. A lady on my right decided to cut in front of me just as traffic was coming to a halt. She broke heavily and came to a full stop. I also broke heavily and was just a meter away from her bumper when I came to a full stop. The guy behind also broke but rear ended me and pushed me into her. ICBC nailed both of them and gave me a clear pass.

She was stopped. I was stopped and he hit me at maybe 25kph. I still have back probs from this accident.

Edit

judging by their ages, they had both been driving for 20 plus years

Archived