The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grading the Canucks offseason...

Lui's Knob

Anybody who gives the off-season anything greater than a "C" is kidding themselves. We simply have not gotten better. Re-signing Burrows & Schneider do not make us better - we've just extended the status quo.

Currently, we're minus Salo, minus Rome, and plus Garrison. Personally, I think that's a step back. A lot of you seem to think that Jason Garrison is this monstrous upgrade over Sami Salo, which I think is nuts. We're throwing away a 9-year team vet and investing heavily in a potential one-year wonder-boy. Not a smart strategy, IMO.

We. Have. Not. Improved.

Nash didn't want to play in Vancouver. End of Nash discussion.

Schultz wanted guaranteed top 4 minutes. Hamhuis Edler Bieksa Garrison say hello. Also MG/AV don't let the players run the team. (see Cody Hodgson)

Doan stayed loyal to the organization he has been with since day one. Even his wife, who wanted him to come play in BC, couldn't change his mind for him. You expect MG to?

Salo, is an amazing character, gave us everything he had and will be in the ROH. All that aside, he is still a 35+ d man who spends half the season on the IR and to boot he was offered a ridiculous contract by TBay. Is MG supposed to throw away the cap space he needs to keep us a threat for years to come so we can glorify Salo and keep him here? I thought this city wanted to challenge for a cup year in and year out?

I like the Garrison acquisition

Thank you - all reasonable points.

Who wanted Nash for a crippling # of assets and crazy cap hit anyway? Not me - no thanks.

You nailed it regarding Schultz - and 3.75 million cap hit for a guy who hasn't played an AHL game yet? No thank you.

Nailed the Doan thing as well. The one thing that kept the summer from being epic, but, like you said.

Love Sami - one of my all time faves, and I'm tickled he got two years $7.5. Will miss him dearly, but the fact is that the Canucks wanted and needed a top four guy (even if Salo had re-signed here, MG'd be biding his time) - Gillis went out and landed the best option available. People whining about Garrison and assuming he is a one year wonder didn't pay attention to his first year - two solid years, serious indications of two-way proficiency, top 30 in ice time. Versatile work horse. Can't wait to see this guy in a Canucks jersey. People whining about Rome are underestimating Ballard and Tanev. Between Alberts, Connaution, Sauve, Joslin the Canucks will have a quality 7th man.

Signed Schneids to a very good contract before becoming an RFA -avoided offer sheets and gave the Canucks far greater leverage to deal Luongo when opportune.

Burr signing = priceless. Overall excellent cap management.

Very good draft imo - fortunate Gaunce was still available, and I like the chance they took on Mallett.

Edler hasn't re-signed - otherwise would give Gillis and Gilman an A.

Luongo still in the bank - doesn't effect my grade - but patience and prudence are noted.

B+

Garrison has not proven that he has staying power as a top-four NHL defenceman. He's had 1 good season and is 28 years old.

We're a veteran team, with a pretty slim window to actually win a Cup, and letting go a veteran like Sami and investing in a guy as uncertain as Garrison was not a smart move. There's a chance that Garrison will build on last year's success, but I doubt it, and it's very risky in any way that you look at it. 6 years, $4.5M per? Yikes.

"Solid" years shouldn't land one a 6-year deal, should they? What exactly is "solid" about being a depth defenceman on one of the most pathetic teams in the league, anyway?

A B+?!? My oh my, what low standards you have!

I will repeat: the team has not improved. The team has not improved. The team has not improved.

To me, this team has in a way lost its direction after losing to the Kings. No more Luongo (soon enough), no more Salo. Veteran team going with a first-time starter in net, parting ways with an anchor defenceman for a crap-shoot with a huge contract like Garrison. I don't get it.

The Canucks are built to WIN NOW, not dole out multi-year contracts to unproven players with "potential". Sami Salo is our Derek Fisher; dependable, clutch, a leader, and capable of scoring big goals. I don't care how old and injury-prone he is, there hasn't been much of a pullback in his game, from what I've seen.

For a team like Edmonton, sure, they can afford to take a gamble on a guy like Garrison. But us? The Canucks? No way. Exchanging Salo for Garrison is not wise.

The Canucks are built to WIN NOW, not dole out multi-year contracts to unproven players with "potential". Sami Salo is our Derek Fisher; dependable, clutch, a leader, and capable of scoring big goals. I don't care how old and injury-prone he is, there hasn't been much of a pullback in his game, from what I've seen.

For a team like Edmonton, sure, they can afford to take a gamble on a guy like Garrison. But us? The Canucks? No way. Exchanging Salo for Garrison is not wise.

What's your point? And for all those crying "injury-prone" about Sami Salo, have you actually looked at the numbers? 2010-11 is the only year where he was out for a real significant amount of time. Here's his GP record for our team:

• 2011-12: 69

• 2010-11: 27

• 2009-10: 68

• 2008-09: 60

• 2007-08: 63

• 2006-07: 67

Seriously, 15 - 20 games per year for getting hit in the nuts with slap shots, getting low-bridged, whatever. The guy's a magnet for freak injuries, but they're not severe, except for 2010-11. The "injury-prone" talk is definitely overblown.

What's your point? And for all those crying "injury-prone" about Sami Salo, have you actually looked at the numbers? 2010-11 is the only year where he was out for a real significant amount of time. Here's his GP record for our team:

• 2011-12: 69

• 2010-11: 27

• 2009-10: 68

• 2008-09: 60

• 2007-08: 63

• 2006-07: 67

Seriously, 15 - 20 games per year for getting hit in the nuts with slap shots, getting low-bridged, whatever. The guy's a magnet for freak injuries, but they're not severe, except for 2010-11. The "injury-prone" talk is definitely overblown.

Garrison is depth as we lost Sami.

Garrison should turn out to be a solid second pairing.Let's hope so.

As the King states,I don't see a lot of improvement,either.Slip sliding sideways is what I see.

Losing Sami and Rome and replacing them with Joslin and Garrison is not making me want to plan parade routes.

Got to get a bruising second line right winger for the club.If Edler is not going to re-sign and wants to join his mates in the sun maybe we will have some real irons in the fire.

Archived