Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

James Bond 50th Anniversary Today (Oct. 5)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Today is the the 50th anniversary of the James Bond Franchise. October 5, 1962 was the date which Dr. No, the first Bond film, premiered.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nniversary.html

Who do you think is the Best James Bond?

Sean Connery
George Lazenby
Roger Moore
Timothy Dolton
Pierce Brosnan
Daniel Craig

#2 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

The best was Bond was Connery. It's not even close, lol.

22 (almost 23) movies, and almost half of them I've seen 10 times over.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#3 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

George Lazenby by far!! You don't fight some guy on the beach than say "The other guy didn't have this much trouble" (he was referring to Sean Connery). Also the cut scenes in the main song part were all from previous James Bond movies. It was B acting all over it.

Seriously though, no question on who was the best. He studied the art of movement and was the only person to ever look cool wearing a jet pack with a suit on. And he is the only person to take down a messerschmitt fighter plane with a umbrella (I know different movie but still awesome).

Sean Connery is the best James Bond.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#4 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Here is a link to all 22 of the James Bond Movies with video.

http://www.ctvnews.c...0th-anniversary

#5 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Given the anniversary and all, I am surprised Skyfall isn't opening tonight.

Roger Moore is who I first really knew as James Bond. I can't really say I have a favourite. I even liked Dalton in the two movies he was Bond.
Posted Image

#6 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I dunno who was the best Bond but it certainly wasn't Pierce Brosnan.
Posted Image

#7 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

The first James Bond movie I saw was Die Another Day, which I thought was awesome.

Since I haven't seen the old ones, I don't know how those actors were as James Bond.

So my favourites are Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Moore and PB are not Bond.........

Daniel Craig and Sean Connery are true Bond to Ian Fleming and most realistic movies (minus DAF)

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 05 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#9 AfterMath35

AfterMath35

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

theme for skyfall by adele, not to bad

Posted Image

#10 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,014 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Love the Bond films. Seen all of them and Daniel Craig is up there.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#11 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I think Daniel Craig is the best but Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan are right there too.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#12 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I wonder if Bond will EVER get married again (only to se her get killed)

Ahh James, Bachelor to the end.

#13 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

James Bond was married in the film Her Majesties Secret Service. James Bond was played by George Lazenby, who made his only appearance as James Bond. Bond's wife was the actress, Diana Rigg, who played Emma Peel on the 60's British Series The Avengers.

The baddie who killed Bond's wife was Blofeld, played in the movie by Telly Savalas, better known as Kojak.

#14 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

You know whenever Bond falls in love that girls gonna die sooner than later.

I can honestly say I have liked every Bond to one degree or another. I think Brosnan still had 1 or 2 more movies in him when he was dumped but Craig is pretty awesome as the younger agent.

Posted Image

#15 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,414 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

You know whenever Bond falls in love that girls gonna die sooner than later.

I can honestly say I have liked every Bond to one degree or another. I think Brosnan still had 1 or 2 more movies in him when he was dumped but Craig is pretty awesome as the younger agent.

It wasn't always the case. In Dr. No only the secretary gets killed, and Bond never gets with her. Honey Rider lives in the end.
In From Russia With Love the girl lives.
Goldfinger started the the girl dying scenario, thats because he got it on with Goldfinger's mistress. Her sister gets killed but Bond never really gets a relationship going with her. Ms. P. Galore lives in the end.

Usually a girl that Bond sleeps with to get information is the one that gets it. Or the one that betrays Bond.

I'd rank the Bonds as:

Connery. For the exception of Diamonds are Forever that was tragic. For the exception of Lana Wood's magnificent rack that movie was the worst Bond film along with License to Kill, A View to A Kill, and Die Another Day.

Lazenby. I thought he was good for a guy with no acting experience. He certainly had the stunt parts down. It would have been interesting to see if he had disregarded the advise of his agent and acted in a few more Bond movies. I think the series wouldn't have been as goofy, and might have improved during the 70's. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a favorite movie of mine.

Daniel Craig. Great actor, it's a pity the script of QoS was weak, and it had a quick cut director. Hopefully Skyfall redeems him.

Timothy Dalton. Another great actor, Living Daylights is one of my favorites. He brought back the ruthless Bond from the Connery era. However they gave him a woeful script in License to Kill (Which was more like a lame 80's action movie than a Bond film).
Dalton should have taken over with For Your Eyes Only.

Pierce Brosnan: Good actor, certainly had the suave side of Bond. Was fantastic in Goldeneye (As was Sean Bean). Tomorrow Never Dies was ok, but it was starting to get into Roger Moore Territory. By The World Is Not Enough he and the franchise seemed out of gas. Die Another Day was a horrible remake of Diamonds are Forever it seems. Then the series crashed.

Roger Moore: Turned the character into a parody. However when he and the director were focused he actually could pull off a good Bond. (For example Live and Let Die and For Your Eyes Only were actually very good, oddly enough these were more realistic stories instead of Bond saves the world yet again). He was never really believable in the stunt/action department.

I think what should have happened was Connery in the first 5 films.
Lazenby from On Her Majesty's Secret Service until Moonraker.
Dalton from For Your Eyes Only to License to Kill.

We would have seen some changes and possibly better movies. What really needs to happen is get better writers and stories for Bond to tackle. Maybe settle with the McClory estate and bring back SPECTRE. Maybe not Blofeld, but SPECTRE was a cool organisation, and gave Bond a real run for his money.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 06 October 2012 - 11:13 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#16 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,414 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

It did lead to one of the most emotional scenes in the franchise. I don't think Connery could have pulled it off. This is why I wish Lazenby did more Bond movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgndOK2zuY0

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 06 October 2012 - 11:22 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.