118 replies to this topic

#31 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

You all must be aware that nobody eats bear right? Bear meat is ridden with worms, smells like garbage, and is rancid. Booth shot that bear for sport - in other words, just for the thrill of killing it.

I've definitely eaten bear meat at least 15 times in my life.

FWYIerW.png

#32 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Every Booth thread get derailed into a pro versus anti hunting discussion.

HE HUNTS! Get over it!

A lot of people hunt, all our ancestors hunted. I don't care for hunting but it's not my placen to tell (or judge) anyone who does. He does it legit, all the power to him. Bear rugs are very comfortable. If you consume as much of the animal as possible I really see no problem with it.

On topic. Booth will step it up. He's got the skill and of course he has some shortfalls, passing and reviving a pass but I believe he's going to play well once the season gets going. He has size and that's very important. I haven't let him off my radar I expect him to go hard to the net game one.

#33 tybarber

tybarber

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

I could care less if Booth hunts, hunting is a sport, lots of people do it, not a big deal. The thing that I have an issue with, is that the majority of the team is here training, preparing for the season to start at any time, but Booth is not, he is out hunting so it seems. Also, when the kings knocked em out of the playoffs, I think it was like less than a week later he was bear hunting... You'd think there would be a little bit of a "remorse" period or something. I guess not...

But as player, I think he has lots of potential and upside too, he just needs to work hard to get there (Something that he doesn't seem to be doing).

#34 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Give me one reason why a guy who makes millions of dollars a year has to go out and shoot these animals. A duck supply for a month, what looks to be an elk and a moose on top of a bear. There's enough meat there to cover half a year, but I guess even millionaires get hungry.

My point is there is no justifiable reason to hunt these animals unless it was for the purpose of feeding oneself. I'm pretty sure Booth can afford to buy a steak. It's really unjustifiable and if you're going to make it a freedom thing I will laugh in your face right now.

Only exemption I see to this is fishing. Go ahead fish away, it's a species that can replenish itself.

If the meat doesn't go to waste...I see nothing wrong with it. You're failinpeg to see the difference between a supermarket and hunting. If you're a strict vegitarian, I will say that you have a point...but if not...then there's no separation. A death for food is a death for food. I'd say killing it yourself is much better than having a factory do it for you.
Posted Image

#35 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Those hunting pics are really disgusting. I really don't understand the sport or of how you're a bigger man for shooting a wild animal. Americans I guess.

Many Canadians do too. It's not because he's just an American, I don't go hunting but I'm cool with it if he does. That's his hobby, so settle down I don't think he's trying to show he's a bigger man than some animal, or just throws the animal's carcass away.

Edited by thehamburglar, 12 October 2012 - 09:48 PM.

Posted Image

#36 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Why are we looking past David Booth ?

.................because it's so easy.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#37 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

I could care less if Booth hunts, hunting is a sport

no it's not. sport is something when both sides have equal chance of winning the event. not when you're cowardly hiding and waiting for that innocent creature to show up. i can't believe the number of people who are ok with that. I guess for most of you, as long as a player wearing a canuck jersey, you'd be okay with him, no matter what kind of person he is.
Posted Image

#38 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

It's just typical and usual CDC having unrealistic expectations of Canucks players, plain and simple.

It's easy numbers, really. Booth scored 16 goals in 56 games, putting him on pace for a 23-goal season, and 42 points over 82 games.

Canucks fans have just gotten spoiled watching the Sedins rack up 80+ point seasons over the last few years. How many goals do you guys think the average second-liner in the NHL scores?

People expected Booth to come in and rip off 30 goals, after having been traded for the very first time in his career. Coming to a Canadian city, and having to meet new teammates and learn a new system. I really don't understand what people expect. Add in the fact that last year Kesler was not at his best, and after having scored 41 goals the previous year, forgot that as a centreman he's supposed to pass the puck more often.

With a playmaking centreman (I'm not suggesting Kesler can't be one, he just seems like he doesn't want to be one), Booth could probably regain his 30-goal form, or at least come close to it. He could probably be a 250-30 goal, 50-point player again. It takes time to adjust to a new environment.

RIP LB RR PD

#39 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

no it's not. sport is something when both sides have equal chance of winning the event. not when you're cowardly hiding and waiting for that innocent creature to show up. i can't believe the number of people who are ok with that. I guess for most of you, as long as a player wearing a canuck jersey, you'd be okay with him, no matter what kind of person he is.

I'm not a big fan of hunting, but if David's eating the game he's hunting, then I'm fine with it.

Don't be a hypocrite. If you think that slaughtering animals by the thousands in slaughterhouses under horrible living conditions after having pumped them full of drugs is better, then I don't know what to tell you.

RIP LB RR PD

#40 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Don't be a hypocrite. If you think that slaughtering animals by the thousands in slaughterhouses under horrible living conditions after having pumped them full of drugs is better, then I don't know what to tell you.

i don't think that. that's why i support animal liberation front. and i wish they would have done more than arson
Posted Image

#41 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

It will throw off Booth and Keslers chemistry? What chemistry?

I think he is referring to the chemistry they could have if they learned how to pass the puck.

Edited by Nino, 13 October 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#42 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

yo infinitecarnage, you're a loser ^
there's a reason why we are at the top of the food chain. because we outsmarted animals, and were able to develop weapons that could take down an animal.

If a bear/moose/duck was able to develop a weapon or technique to kill us to eat/sport, then by golly they would. but they didn't. and we did. thus, we kill them and we eat them. simple. and they taste mighty fine.

whoever is anti-hunting is a homer. WE ARE THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN, THEREFORE WE WIN

Edited by RIPRYP, 13 October 2012 - 07:33 AM.

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#43 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

there's a reason why we are at the top of the food chain. because we outsmarted animals, and were able to develop weapons that could take down an animal.

If a bear/moose/duck was able to develop a weapon or technique to kill us to eat/sport, then by golly they would. but they didn't. and we did. thus, we kill them and we eat them. simple. and they taste mighty fine.

whoever is anti-hunting is a homer. WE ARE THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN, THEREFORE WE WIN

I am 100% supportive of hunting for food and feel its much better then keeping animals in food lots.

But you are out to lunch, your statement helps nobody it just makes people who support hunting look bad.

#44 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

This is hilarious.

Are we in need of hockey, or what?

#45 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Making a good case for people having to pass IQ tests before being issued a hunting license.

RIP LB RR PD

#46 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

It seems many of the Canucks who came for the early September golf charity game have gone back to their home towns. From what I've gathered, Sedins, Malholtra, Bieksa, Elder, Kesler, Schneider, Garrison, Hamhuis, Higgins and Raymond are the only ones practising in Vancouver. So I don't believe Booth is practising with the team.

I like Booth as a player, and I think he was deserving of the most exciting player award this past season. He was hampered by injuries last year but showed flashes of brilliance. I'm thrilled with Booth regardless of cap hit; we got him for Sturm and Samuelsson, neither of which will suit up for Florida this season.

Those hunting pics are really disgusting. I really don't understand the sport or of how you're a bigger man for shooting a wild animal. Americans I guess.

Well Sammy won't, thats for sure as he signed in Detroit for $6M over 2 years..............You can rely on Detroit to go for talent over ageism.
Kevin.jpg

#47 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

I am 100% supportive of hunting for food and feel its much better then keeping animals in food lots.

But you are out to lunch, your statement helps nobody it just makes people who support hunting look bad.

I just got back from lunch. That moose was good. And sorry for speaking the truth? There's a reason why we as human beings are in the state we are in. We have developed so much. But with good things come bad. People do abuse the hunting etc, guns led to war blah blah. But I am pretty sure everyone can agree that we have gotten where we are because of smarts, technology, and developments in all aspects of life.

Making a good case for people having to pass IQ tests before being issued a hunting license.

I agree. Good thing I passed, and have my PAL/Hunting license! Guess my IQ isn't as low as you thought it would be, huh.

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#48 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Give me one reason why a guy who makes millions of dollars a year has to go out and shoot these animals. A duck supply for a month, what looks to be an elk and a moose on top of a bear. There's enough meat there to cover half a year, but I guess even millionaires get hungry.

My point is there is no justifiable reason to hunt these animals unless it was for the purpose of feeding oneself. I'm pretty sure Booth can afford to buy a steak. It's really unjustifiable and if you're going to make it a freedom thing I will laugh in your face right now.

Only exemption I see to this is fishing. Go ahead fish away, it's a species that can replenish itself.

So much irony to this.

A. Booth has said he eats what he kills. Not being wasteful, he's being natural. I detest trophy hunting as much as the next guy, but David doesn't sound like one. If you hunt for food, that's fine. Why not buy a steak? An animal dies either way brother. If he prefers dead wild game to dead cow raised to be inundated with chemicals and slaughtered, that's his choice.

B. Hunting game is heavily regulated. As somebody mentioned, there's no bison situation happening nowadays. The irony is, fisheries will collapse far before hunting stops being sustainable.

C. Why are we talking about this? Only thing that annoys me about him hunting is fans debating about it. On Booth, the hockey player, I'm expecting at least a 20 goal 45 point season out of him because that's what he was displaying when he came here. And we know he can do even better. Guy's got great attitude and I love his style (so long as he keeps his head up). Him, Kes, and Kassian would be my 3 guys to watch once the NHL starts back up.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 13 October 2012 - 09:48 AM.

dontforgettolentil.png

#49 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Don't care much for hunting, but think it's ok for others if it is humane and managed properly. Is Booth going to eat the goat he killed? Is that edible?

As a 'Nuck player I think he has played fairly well, considering he had injuries and was playing for a new team. He is the only Nuck that rushes the net and is pretty good at getting the puck into the offensive zone. He needs a playmaking center (not Kesler) to be more effective. I'm hoping that Schroeder will get a chance to center Booth at some point.

#50 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,013 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Don't care much for hunting, but think it's ok for others if it is humane and managed properly. Is Booth going to eat the goat he killed? Is that edible?

As a 'Nuck player I think he has played fairly well, considering he had injuries and was playing for a new team. He is the only Nuck that rushes the net and is pretty good at getting the puck into the offensive zone. He needs a playmaking center (not Kesler) to be more effective. I'm hoping that Schroeder will get a chance to center Booth at some point.

I love goat, if cooked right it's fantastic. It has a strong flavor so it's best cooked in with lots of spice to balance it. Goat is one of the most consumed meats in the world mostly in places like India, Africa, and the middle east (places that cook with a lot of spice). I would eat goat way before I would go to mc d's for a feed lot lunch.

#51 tybarber

tybarber

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

You and your friend compete to see who gets the biggest deer, boom! Sport. And no, just because he wears a canuck jersey has nothing to do with me thinking its alright for Booth to hunt. And if you do hunt, I by no means think that makes you "bad person", get over yourself man. It's something mankind has done for thousands of years and is way more humane than raising an animal just to slaughter it.

#52 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Too many complainers on CDC.
Booth is a 22, 31, 23 goal scorer and was on pace for 24 both seasons he was injured, including last year as a Canuck, despite playing on the very hobbled second line and suffering a serious knee injury. In other words, he has been very consistent in averaging 25 goal seasons. His cap hit is what it reasonably costs for a top 6 forward with that kind of production.

He also throws between 100 and 150 hits a year, and skates exceptionally well.

Booth threw a few other hits where that one came from in that series as well - a notable one where he drilled Richards in turn (not posted on youtube.)
That's the kind of mix of skill and grit that most people were looking for more of.
What's the problem with Booth's game?

Edited by oldnews, 13 October 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#53 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

As an Indian, you just smashed a veil of ignorance for me that not everyone (well at least meat-eaters) else eats goat here.

#54 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Well Sammy won't, thats for sure as he signed in Detroit for $6M over 2 years..............You can rely on Detroit to go for talent over ageism.

The guy with one goal in his last 18 playoff games and openly admitted to coming here only for the money?

The Wings can have him
Posted Image

#55 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

As an Indian, you just smashed a veil of ignorance for me that not everyone (well at least meat-eaters) else eats goat here.

Well, I'm not much of a meat eater, so I haven't really gone looking for goat meat at the local safeway. I would think that it would be organically superior meat than the other crap you get at said store.

#56 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

i don't think that. that's why i support animal liberation front. and i wish they would have done more than arson

Oh so you support burning down other people's properties and wish "more" than that would happen, but you're sitting here moralizing to us about hunting animals in moderation? You're an idiot and I'm appalled you're not banned from these forums for advocating such activities.

#57 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'm on record as being grateful to have an asset like Booth to show for Samuelsson. I stand by that.

But you are kidding yourself with Samuelsson's value also. He is very much a glue player, who adds passing, size or the ability to score to a line depending on what is needed at any given time. Raymond and Kesler both had their highest scoring season playing with him (75 points for Kess before he got prime PP time with the Twins is still his tops). This shows his ability to elevate the games of others.

The ironic thing is if we had managed to keep Sammy, and acquire David, he would have been exactly the type of complementary player to have Booth playing at another level. Or Kassian?

By memory; Samuelsson also came here to get a crack at first and second line minutes when he was below that on Detroit's depth chart. His salary then, and now, is worth it.

One critique I have of Gillis is that he fills one hole and creates another with some of his moves. Where we needed a PF, did we need another LW? When we acquired Hamhuis, we still left a glaring hole on the right side. Such moves can only be classified a true success by re-filling those holes in successive moves.

The guy with one goal in his last 18 playoff games and openly admitted to coming here only for the money?

The Wings can have him

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 13 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#58 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm on record as being grateful to have an asset like Booth to show for Samuelsson. I stand by that.

But you are kidding yourself with Samuelsson's value also. He is very much a glue player, who adds passing, size or the ability to score to a line depending on what is needed at any given time. Raymond and Kesler both had their highest scoring season playing with him (75 points for Kess before he got prime PP time with the Twins is still his tops). This shows his ability to elevate the games of others.

The ironic thing is if we had managed to keep Sammy, and acquire David, he would have been exactly the type of complementary player to have Booth playing at another level. Or Kassian?

By memory; Samuelsson also came here to get a crack at first and second line minutes when he was below that on Detroit's depth chart. His salary then, and now, is worth it.

One critique I have of Gillis is that he fills one hole and creates another with some of his moves. Where we needed a PF, did we need another LW? When we acquired Hamhuis, we still left a glaring hole on the right side. Such moves can only be classified a true success by re-filling those holes in successive moves.

I like Samuelsson but he's a quirky player. He was a horrible fit with the Sedins - his puck possession game is very suspect, and he doesn't have the continuity to play with them - he is a risky guy who has his share of brain cramps to go with his flashes of brilliance. I thought he fit best with Torres on the third line - Torres forecheck and hit, turnover, Samuelsson quick strike - an unconventional line that I thought worked well. I liked the fact that Samuelsson playing with Kesler also allowed Raymond to play his natural position - left wing - but it's hard to pass on the opportunity to pick up Booth, particularly when it was always uncertain whether Samuelsson was happy with his role. When he wasn't playing that well (which happened frequently because he is a very streaky guy), it became difficult to find a copacetic fit. I thought his best stretch as a Canuck came after his longest scoring slump when he had to dumb down his game and focus on contributing in a more rounded way. When he stopped trying to score, he complemented his line-mates much better. I liked him, but can certainly live with moving him for Booth. The right RW on that line, and it becomes very difficult to deal with.

#59 Lundymaphone

Lundymaphone

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Every Booth thread get derailed into a pro versus anti hunting discussion.

HE HUNTS! Get over it!

I would not call this thread "derailed". The second post was a set of picture of him hunting. It started on this track, for better or worse...I honestly wonder why people even post David Booth topics knowing what it will become.

#60 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

he'll get a fresh start whenever the season does

its gotta be hard moving from your first team you spent your whole career on to here and then going on the road, i dont know how players do it , some obviously are more used to it then others but how they can still be consistent point wise and play wise is impressive
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.