The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Automotive Enthusiast Thread

Mr. White

Yeah if you make an actual performance upgrade, then it has a purpose, I agree as the cold air intake on my car gave me about 10-12 extra horsepower above 3500 RPM. However, 95% of exhaust mods around where I live involve nothing more than changing the noise to an obnoxious tone

BS.

Cold Air Intake does virtually nothing.

BS.

Hardly seems like a credible video to me, or applicable to my car. The dyno fan seemed to be the controlling force as the first time they saw change was when they moved it out of the area directly above the fan, and once they did, the improvement was shown. Also, the point of cold-air intakes is to move the air filter to a cooler area, which you don't get by just putting a different filter where the air box is, as they did in many of the first trials. Both of these points show that location of the filter is important.

In addition, on more powerful engines, the performance increase is going to be lower, as a turbo'd 6 cylinder engine meant for a top of the line car is probably not going to see much of an improvement from a 120 dollar product, and is not comparable for most cars that people my age own, unless daddy buys it for them.

BS.

Depends on the cars the new Boss Mustang that is fact, while some cars can see 2.5-10hp over stock it all depends on the Filter and your cars tune. Using a system like Hondata for Honda's or say a COBB accessport for example you're able to adjust the air flow. Tuning is about putting everything together, yes an intake alone isn't going to do much of anything but when put together with exhaust upgrades and a tune you will get maximum potential out of your parts. As long as you have done your research.

Depends on the cars the new Boss Mustang that is fact, while some cars can see 2.5-10hp over stock it all depends on the Filter and your cars tune. Using a system like Hondata for Honda's or say a COBB accessport for example you're able to adjust the air flow. Tuning is about putting everything together, yes an intake alone isn't going to do much of anything but when put together with exhaust upgrades and a tune you will get maximum potential out of your parts. As long as you have done your research.

With tuning sure, but I still doubt the Air Intake would be the sole reason for a positive increase on the tune, the tune itself would do the job.

I've never heard of an major increase in power from a Air Intake of any sorts.

With tuning sure, but I still doubt the Air Intake would be the sole reason for a positive increase on the tune, the tune itself would do the job.

I've never heard of an major increase in power from a Air Intake of any sorts.

I estimated 3hp on my 04 Corolla but that was just intake and a reflash, mostly just sounded better. and fuel economy did improve a bit, so long as you kept the car under 3000rpm

• 1 year later...

The car i have been driving since the day I bought it 2 years ago. This is my 40th personal vehicle, hands down it is my all time favorite ride. Not the fastest but definitely handles like a champ. About to order some coil over suspension to really get the most out of this little monster. Only 2800 lbs in full leather trim. It is a 1988 Stroked 327is coupe with custom exhaust and a modified e36 M3 differential. It has 286,00km on it now.

I messed around with turbo charged cars a few years back and with the advancement in materials and fuel management I am seriously considering boosting what has been affectionately called "God's chariot" by e30 enthusiast world wide.

15-20 pounds on a Holset will yield over 600hp ! My buddies convertible 1989 e30 is running 25 psi on a 2.9l stroker kit with 640 RWHP ? Cannot keep it straight :bigblush:

mybimmer3_zps5837f292.jpg

2013-06-26185912_zps9de58b0e.jpg

2013-06-09182225_zps92211e9c.jpg

The car i have been driving since the day I bought it 2 years ago. This is my 40th personal vehicle, hands down it is my all time favorite ride. Not the fastest but definitely handles like a champ. About to order some coil over suspension to really get the most out of this little monster. Only 2800 lbs in full leather trim. It is a 1988 Stroked 327is coupe with custom exhaust and a modified e36 M3 differential. It has 286,00km on it now.

I messed around with turbo charged cars a few years back and with the advancement in materials and fuel management I am seriously considering boosting what has been affectionately called "God's chariot" by e30 enthusiast world wide.

15-20 pounds on a Holset will yield over 600hp ! My buddies convertible 1989 e30 is running 25 psi on a 2.9l stroker kit with 640 RWHP ? Cannot keep it straight :bigblush:

mybimmer3_zps5837f292.jpg

mybimmer_zps7a31005e.jpg

2013-06-26185912_zps9de58b0e.jpg

2013-06-09182225_zps92211e9c.jpg

Not bad.

However, when it comes to BMW, looks wise, nothing will beat the E39.

Looking at buying a 540i M-sport package myself.

Not bad.

However, when it comes to BMW, looks wise, nothing will beat the E39.

Looking at buying a 540i M-sport package myself.

I missed out on an 2001 540i with a 6speed manual earlier in the year. Had M6 rims and a stage 1 Dinan package. I am still pissed about it >(

IT looked exactly like this one, guy was asking only 7500 ?! with 179,000 km 's ?

hvrthh_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a '65 Plymouth Fury III, pretty pumped to get working on it and driving it around.

edit: Just got it home, barely. Had to two-foot it to keep it from stalling. I think it might have a fuel problem haha.

Also, anybody have tips on working with older cars?

This is such a cool car!

So ol skool with so much character!

Too bad it is sitting in someone's driveway with leaves on it. Someone could really fix this baby up and drive it around!

ed813dba40689bc24597def5250f084c.jpg?siz

Yeah, too many great cars that could be restored sitting around rotting while someone with plans to restore it just leaves it lying around. People try to get them to sell it but no, they plan to someday do something with it. Big plans but no money or no time or both. Its a common story.

My Dad has a 1950 Ford Woody Wagon thats at 30+ years and counting since he took it off the road to restore. Hes getting past the point of ever doing anything with it and he still wont sell it for any price. They move every so often and we roll it out of the garage from one place and into the garage at another.

EDIT: Early to mid 2000s BMWs are a steal at the prices online. they are practically giving them away.

• 3 months later...

BS.

This is the biggest pile of crap ever dude. Having a buddy who owns and tunes professionally in his own dyno shop, cold air with proper headers,exhaust and intake makes a descent amount of hp for the buck. CAI by itself does nothing. Grabbing colder air from down low through the fender or the front splitter with proper ducting for one instead of having the filter just grab warm air from the engine compartment makes a noticeable difference.

Most people dont even realize higher octane does nothing unless you adjust your timing to compensate for the difference in octane. Putting 91 in your car tuned for 89 or 87 is just throwing your money away just like a CAI that grabs air from inside the engine compartment.

You have to make the whole system breath better while putting more power down so you can actually use it :)

Archived