The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

The facts havent changed.

The NHL owns the stanley cup and controls all the arenas.

The NHLPA has the current talent .

One will still own the stanley cup and control the NHL 6 years from now.

The other will have a group of aging players in the KHL while the NHL drafted new talent for 6 years under a new union.

The players have no leverage in the long run at all. They just get older and get replaced.

The owners are hitting them short term by making sure they dont get paid . Some owners take a hit but know that in the long term they will win this battle.

Players should simply accept a 50/50 split in the revenue

Players accept 5 yr max salaries and 28 year old UFA

NHL keeps the cap at 70mil and only when it drops below 50% then the cap can rise.

The facts havent changed.

The NHL owns the stanley cup and controls all the arenas.

The NHLPA has the current talent .

One will still own the stanley cup and control the NHL 6 years from now.

The other will have a group of aging players in the KHL while the NHL drafted new talent for 6 years under a new union.

The players have no leverage in the long run at all. They just get older and get replaced.

Again...without the fans/players...there is no revenue stream. Players can organize their own games...there are numerous other arenas they can play at...tix at $20 to watch NHL caliber players compared to watching AHL players at $50 combined with bad PR (the new NHL), I think the fans will be drawn to the players games. The players/fans can do without the NHL...whereas the NHL cannot do without the fans/talent. TBH, I'd be down/fine with folding this whole league and starting all over again..but having a team with our current roster of course in a new league.

Really ??

You think that Even if they were able to arrange arenas,pay the wages, bills,flights,accomadations,food etc on and on,

That and only charging $20 ticket and no tv contract or sponsorship contracts they would not be anything close to what they were making in the NHL If there was no NHL, the only option would be overseas, and still they will not have it as good as they Ever will have it with the Nhl.

The players really only have only 3 choices

Agree to never play in the NHL again and never accept any offer

or

Take the offer and play and be an instant Multi-Millionaire

or

Play for less than what the NHL is offering them right now and play Overseas the rest of their careers

The entertainment field actors,musicians,athletes have all been taking a hit and not making as much as they were

Not me. I've been a Canucks fan from the start. In that time they've gone through several owners and a boat load of players, but it's the team I cheer for.

In some ways, I am part of the problem. The NHL is banking that fans like me will be back, no matter how long this takes. They're probably right.

I'm not denying that some people are more a fan of the players than they are of the team. I'm still a Bobby Orr fan. Those are the fans that are at risk here. Without their favourite players, it may not matter if the teams come back as some people are advocating.

It's interesting though, that all the players you listed have retired. Is there anyone you follow today like you did with Bure or Linden?

Well, the answer SHOULD be obvious, but apparently the NHPLA doesn't understand basic math.

Also, let's say you're an NHL player and you have no more than six years left in your playing career. You have a choice: [A] Take a 12% haircut on your current salary but play for six years or Lose a full year's salary and forego AT LEAST 17% of the rest of your professional hockey income that you'll ever make? I say "AT LEAST" because that assumes that after a lost season they go right back to getting 57% of league revenue (which is NOT going to happen). So, that player is more likely to lose 20%-25% of the rest of his career's income by losing a full season.

Do players understand BASIC math?

Career-ending injuries happen every year.

So, let's say you're a player who gets such an injury mid-way through the 2014-2015 season AND we have lost the entire 2012-2013 season. That player, by losing this season, will have lost...forever...40% of his remaining professional hockey player income!!

To take that risk is...insane.

But, apparently, emotions...not brains...are driving player decisions (at least thus far)...

Take the 50-50 split and don't lose and entire year of your finite steam of NHL income!!

If we lose a season, I can GUARANTEE this: There will be a ton of current players who, when they are 40, 50, and 60 years old would KILL to get back the income they will have lost with this lost season. But that income will have been lost forever and a lot of those guys will be schlepping along in some banal, low-paying (i.e., regular) job with little coin in the bank thinking: "God, it would be great if I could get my hands on that $700,000 I flushed down the toilet when we gave up that 2012-2013 season!"

let's see... if I had 6 years left before having to "retire" due to age, I would possibly be in my early 30s. If I'm good enough to play in the NHL, that would mean I'm good enough to play in Europe. And with the frequency of "lockouts," I think I'd just leave and play in Europe the last 6 years and make my money over there.

Career-ending injuries happen every year.

So, let's say you're a player who gets such an injury mid-way through the 2014-2015 season AND we have lost the entire 2012-2013 season. That player, by losing this season, will have lost...forever...40% of his remaining professional hockey player income!!

To take that risk is...insane.

But, apparently, emotions...not brains...are driving player decisions (at least thus far)...

Take the 50-50 split and don't lose and entire year of your finite steam of NHL income!!

If we lose a season, I can GUARANTEE this: There will be a ton of current players who, when they are 40, 50, and 60 years old would KILL to get back the income they will have lost with this lost season. But that income will have been lost forever and a lot of those guys will be schlepping along in some banal, low-paying (i.e., regular) job with little coin in the bank thinking: "God, it would be great if I could get my hands on that $700,000 I flushed down the toilet when we gave up that 2012-2013 season!"

Archived