25 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

It seems Hyundai and Kia based its mileage claims on erroneous test results and as a result owners and former owners of certain 2010-12 models from those manufacturers may be eligible for reimbursement.

Full information about the program and what vehicles qualify is available at:
http://hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/
and
http://kiafuelconsumption.ca/

As reported:

Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and Kia Canada Inc. announced today they will reimburse drivers who bought cars from them between the 2010 and 2012 model years, because an error at the companies' testing facilities in Korea has made the cars less fuel efficient than advertised.

The companies said in a release that 172,000 cars across Canada are affected.

On average, the fuel consumption across all Kia and Hyundai cars is actually 0.3 litres higher per 100 kilometres than advertised — meaning if your car allegedly can go 100 kilometres on 10 litres of gas, it actually will use 10.3 litres to do that trip.

Both companies have implemented a comprehensive reimbursement program to any current or former owners of the cars in question.

Owners will get a credit card loaded with cash to cover the extra fuel they have had to buy. How much the card will have on it is based on the average fuel price where they live, and how much the car was driven.

Drivers will also get a 15 per cent top-up to compensate them for the inconvenience, the companies say.

"We are very sorry about the errors and we are committed to making sure the owners of every affected Hyundai vehicle are fully compensated," Hyundai Canada CEO Steve Kelleher said.

"Kia Canada deeply regrets that this situation has occurred and will ensure all affected Kia customers will quickly receive fair compensation," Kia Canada CEO William Lee added.

The companies say the fuel consumption rating discrepancies came from procedural errors during a process called "coast down" testing at joint testing operations in Korea.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...yundai-gas.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Pretty nice of the company to do this for their consumers.

I'll stick with driving Suzuki though!

Posted Image

#3 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

No doubt done to forestall a class action suit and/or government ordered compensation.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#4 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

You get big time fines a well (as a company), but doesnt every company lie about this my SUV doesnt get what they say it does. Also as a company that has a really shatty reputation you need to do anything to save face/customers on top of potntially getting sued

Edited by CanuckinEdm, 02 November 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#5 qball

qball

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

You get big time fines a well (as a company), but doesnt every company lie about this my SUV doesnt get what they say it does. Also as a company that has a really shatty reputation you need to do anything to save face/customers on top of potntially getting sued

It's not so much that they 'lie' about their vehicle's fuel economy, but the testing they do bears very little resemblance to 'real world' driving - so their results appear considerably better than what customers experience...

Edited by qball, 02 November 2012 - 11:12 AM.

My goal in life is to become the kind of man my dog thinks I am...

#6 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Can't comprehend how they (or any other company) can claim figures not found by Natural Resources Canada even tho they have their own issues.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#7 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

name an auto company that uses real world testing for fuel consumption rating
My truck does not get the reported 23mpg Hwy 18mpg city it is more like 11 city and 15 hwy. it is not bad driving habits it is just how it is

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#8 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,391 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

yay for me and my 2012 kia soul. Sure Ill take some money.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#9 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Last thing these Korean car makers need as they claw their way out of the "pit of poor quality".
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#10 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Last thing these Korean car makers need as they claw their way out of the "pit of poor quality".

That era is long past.

#11 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

My coworker just traded in his 2012 for a 2013 (smaller model)...based on the horrible fuel consumption! Won't he be pleased?

(He also bought a new home, first time buyer, in December of last year....making him ineligible for the new grant that is available)

Posted Image

#12 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Nice? I was watching on the news that they're giving $90/year to some woman who bought a Hyundai Santa Fe as long as she owns the vehicle.

If she owns the vehicle for 10 years, that's $900. That won't even cover the drop in resale value caused by the negative reputation it just gained!

#13 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,309 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

That era is long past.

I wonder if anybody still drives the Pony.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#14 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

\Apparenty yes.
http://ca.yakaz.com/...i-pony-for-sale

1986 Hyundai Pony

Prince George BC, Canada - 3 weeks ago on kijiji.ca

For Sale $1,150hyundai pony gold 1986 hatchback gasoline

Good condition accept for the rust that began last year. It has only been winter driven for the last six or so years. Interior is in good condition. Comes with winter tires and all seasons both on rims. Low kilometers. Make an offer.

#15 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

That era is long past.

Korean manufacturing has done a lot to get past the previous perception of poor quality. They do however have more to do.

Hyundai if im not mistaken has 10 year warranties which is a measure taken to encourage consumer confidence.

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#16 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Lol

Its a perfect example of the damage done by poor quality.

Hyundais car division was nearly finished in around 1988 i believe.

Heck i bought a crap box 1981 Honda Civic for $300 back in 2006. Thing still ran a treat.

Ponys struggled to make if past the 5 year mark.

Logic at its finest.

#17 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Lol

Its a perfect example of the damage done by poor quality.

Hyundais car division was nearly finished in around 1988 i believe.

Heck i bought a crap box 1981 Honda Civic for $300 back in 2006. Thing still ran a treat.

Ponys struggled to make if past the 5 year mark.

Hyundai was one of the first truly "green" companies - the Pony was biodegradable.

#18 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hyundai was one of the first truly "green" companies - the Pony was biodegradable.

Lol

Not to mention the low emissions during "downtime".

Logic at its finest.

#19 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,849 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

I knew it! I was in an Elantra the other day and said that it felt more like 10.3 per 100 than a flat ten.

#20 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have a 2010 Honda Insight. The mileage isn't nearly what it was advertised as.
I really hope they follow suit and give me moneys.
Apparently they (honda) had a class action lawsuit because of models from 06-09... Mental.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#21 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

This was found during an EPA investigation. Over the last handful of years, I've liked the changes the EPA has made on it's reporting of mileage to better reflect economy based on the way most people drive. People should have never trusted sticker mileage, even if asian manufacturers have a history of making economical vehicles.

If you're going to fork over more than 3 figures for a product, logically it necessitates some type of research into the product, never mind 5 figures. One could easily get estimates on the EPA websites or forums showing drivers and their reported fuel economy. In many newer cars like the ones in this reports show economy via dashboard instruments or centre console, so test drive, trip reset, and drive some distance in the city and on freeway the way you normally drive to get an idea of mileage. That way, no erroneous sticker economy will fool you.

#22 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have an 09 Kia Rondo. Great car but doesn't come close to the mileage claimed. It's to bad this won't be covered. On the other hand my 2011 Ford Focus is amazing. Drove it from Revelstoke to Richmond on 1 tank!!!
Posted Image

#23 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,885 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

The KIA's are actually 2011-2013, so it looks like both of my coworkers' models are included. He will, in fact, be pleased.

Posted Image

#24 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Kia and Hyundai are making really fine cars with really nice designs. The 1990's are over and companies like Kia and Hyundai are challenging Honda and Toyota when it comes to design and quality.

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
Posted Image

Posted Image

2013 Hyundai Elantra
Posted Image
Posted Image

2013 Kia Rio
[img]http://l.yimg.com/lj/api/res/1.2/kDVhFudP1kkdAIqqsy9xdw--/YXBwaWQ9eWF1dG9zO2g9MjIxO3c9NDQxO2ZpPWZpbGw7cHhvZmY9NTA7cHlvZmY9MDs-/http://l.yimg.com/dv/aic/kia_rio_5_door_lx_2013[/img]
[img]http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/kia/rio/2013/oem/2013_kia_rio_4dr-hatchback_sx_rq_oem_1_500.jpg[/img]

2013 Kia Optima
[img]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2012/09/001-2013-kia-optima-sx-limited628opt.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/507364-3/2013-Kia-Optima-SXL01.JPG[/img]

You have to admit that Kia and Hyundai have really stepped up their game in making great looking cars along with the awesome 10 years Warranty. I'd definitely drive any of these cars. Toyota and Honda should take note and bring more exciting and fun designs rather than the old boring generic design, especially Toyota.

Posted Image

#25 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

My dad owned 2 ponys back in the day.. He hit a pole and purchased a 2nd one.. switched engines.. rebuilt the front end of the first and sold the 2nd. Lasted longer than 5 years.. although he is a mechanic. I miss being able to opened a car with the can-opener on my swiss army knife.

#26 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Good on Hyundai. Now if only they could clean up the service department at the local dealership.

Edited by Navyblue, 04 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.