The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Video: 'Superhero' knocks out guy on street, cops watch

Grapefruits

WTF?

----------------------------------------

Seattle - In Seattle, Washington, there is a "mutual combat law" in effect. "Superhero" Phoenix Jones took advantage of this law to deliver his own brand of justice.

Recently, there was an incident in Washington State that is somewhat reminiscent of the 2009 action movie called “Kick-Ass.” For those that neither heard nor watched the movie, it's based on a graphic novel series in which ordinary people take to the streets dressed as superheroes to deliver their own version of “justice.”

While there are superheroes, there are no superpowers at all. In most cases, police would probably break up a scuffle between “heroes” and perpetrators. In Seattle, Washington, it's not necessarily the case.

Around past one in the morning, a group of “superheroes” were on patrol. The group consisted of: Phoenix Jones, Midnight Jack, Red Falcon, Bishop, and Westlake Drake.

They found themselves in confrontation with a group of men. As the police came to the scene, a fight started between Phoenix Jones and a man wearing an orange shirt. However, the police did not make any arrests and allowed the fight to happen. In Seattle, there's something called a “mutual combat law” that's in effect. Under this “mutual combat law,” both sides have mutually agreed to the fight. The fight stops as soon as one of the people falls. Phoenix Jones emerged victorious and the fight ended.

No arrests have been made because the fight was legal. In short, there is a “mutual combat law.” In a blog on SeattlePI, it mentions 12A.06.025 of the Seattle Municipal Code. Under this code, you can get away with street fighting to an extent. The video is available for viewing; but as a warning, there is a high level of profanity and obscene language.

Lots of states in the US have a Mutual Combat law which basically allows to consenting individuals to participate in a fight. There are strict guidelines, however (most states require the individual to make an attempt to solve matters peacefully, once a participant has hit the ground the combat is required to stop, etc.), and it is not a legal defense to manslaughter should one of the participants die as a result of the altercation.

good call on the skip to part. I get that they are out trying to stop crime, but they are also going to initiate with drunks who know who they are and want to prove something. Which this situation seems to be. The police seem more hellbent on creating a problem than solving it.

The guy threatened to follow him to his house and threatened his family. I fail to see how Phoenix Jones, who was trying to vacate the area, is initiating anything. He tried to leave, they followed, he continued to try to leave, they continued to follow and threatened his family. Seems like adequate grounds for an ass whomping to me ...

I agree with that, but that's not what I was meaning. 4 guys in superhero attire are going to garner attention, and with drunks, likely the wrong kind. I am not condoning what these guys were doing and they did the right thing by calling the cops. Once Police were there though, thats where it should have ended.

Contain the drunks and allow the Superheroes to leave the area, hell throw the drunks in the tank, Problem solved. The cops allowed the situation to escalate into something that could have got really ugly.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Phoenix_Jones

Slippery slope down there if they continue to allow this sort of vigilante justice to take place.

Archived