69 replies to this topic

#1 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

With Obama and the Democratic Party making gains in the 2012 election, and Republican's in apparent disarray, what do you think will be Obama's final legacy, when history measures his effect on the United States of America, and the world?

What might Obama's legacy be after 4 more years?

U.S. president hints about climate change, immigration reform in victory speech

By Andrew Davidson, CBC News

Posted: Nov 7, 2012 6:40 AM ET

Last Updated: Nov 7, 2012 10:06 PM ET

Video Content

/i/gfx/play-media-lrg.gifObama's victory speech24:02

none
/gfx/images/news/promos/2012/04/18/andrew-davidson-140x80.jpg
Andrew DavidsonIn Chicago

Facebook

Twitter

Email

Related/i/gfx/play-media.gif

Close
America's next 4 years3:54
/i/gfx/play-media.gifPosted ImageAmerica's next 4 years3:54

As jubilant Democrats celebrated the re-election of Barack Obama at his Chicago victory party, talk quickly turned to how the U.S. president's legacy hinges on his next four years in office — and how compromise will be crucial in approaching issues ranging from avoiding another recession to taking the lead on climate change.
The struggling U.S. economy was the dominant election issue and chief on most voters' minds, according to exit polls. But Obama, in his victory speech early Wednesday, gave some indications of where he wants his second term to head beyond the recovery.
In a lofty address, he appealed for compromise with Republicans, saying he was willing to work with them to reduce the federal deficit and the country’s dependence on foreign oil, as well as reform the tax code and fix the immigration system.
The president also made a passing reference to the dangers of climate change, an issue that was barely mentioned in the campaign's earlier months until it roared back into the spotlight in the final days with superstorm Sandy's recent devastation of the coastlines of the U.S. northeast states.
"We want our children to live in an America that isn't burdened by debt, that isn’t weakened by inequality, that isn’t threatened by the destructive power of a warming planet," Obama said./gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/11/07/300-romney-rtr3a3kj.jpgRepublican presidential candidate Mitt Romney delivers his concession speech at his election night rally in Boston early Wednesday. (Brian Snyder/Reuters)
Speaking ahead of the president in his later-than-expected concession speech, defeated Republican nominee Mitt Romney made his own appeal for co-operation from both sides.
“At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and political posturing," he said. "Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do the people's work, and we citizens also have to rise to the occasion."
But several volunteers and supporters attending Obama's victory bash said they now want the president to use his new mandate to go further, such as tackling climate change head-on or finding a peaceful solution to the impasse with Iran on its nuclear program.
Breakthough on immigration?

With a broader mandate than expected from Tuesday’s win, Obama also has the chance to shape and leave a legacy not just for himself, but also for his party, through the election’s connection with new constituencies that seem to be forming.

One obvious group would be Latinos, who overwhelmingly supported Obama at voting booths.
Polls have indicated a large majority of the Latino community favours immigration reform that would give some path toward permanent residency to the more than 12 million undocumented immigrants who already live and work in the United States.
Republicans, perhaps looking at how badly they fared among Hispanic voters in the presidential race this time around, could be willing to work to find common ground, despite past bipartisan attempts ending in failure and bitter recriminations.
At the Obama celebration in Chicago, supporter Angie Vaca said she wants the president to make immigration reform his top priority to help people "who love this country and live in fear of being pulled away from their dream."
“We’re tired of waiting," Vaca, 30, a nurse and U.S.-born Latina, told CBCNews.ca.
Congress still gridlocked?

Despite the conciliatory words from the two candidates, when the dust settled, Republicans still retained control of the House of Representatives, and the Democrats will hold on to the majority in the Senate./gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/11/07/300-chicago-obama-cp-035454.jpgSupporters cheer at the end of President Barack Obama's remarks during an election night party in Chicago. (Matt Rourke/Associated Press)
That leaves the structure of the partisan gridlock in Congress that plagued the last two years of Obama’s first term essentially intact, meaning he may again find himself limited in what he can accomplish when the new members take office in January.
"I'm not optimistic for a lot of healing coming out of this election,” Roger Simon, chief political columnist of Politico, told CBC News on Tuesday before the results came in.
In Simon’s eyes, the U.S. has entered a deep period of hyper-partisanship that has created a paralysis in Congress that shows no signs of dissipating.
“Congress is a place where hope goes to die,” Simon said bluntly.
Fiscal cliff, Iran loom as challenges

Even before Obama’s second term technically begins in January, he faces immediate short-term challenges, including high unemployment, slow growth and the country’s latest “fiscal cliff” of a budget crisis — this time, a set of already legislated federal spending cuts totalling $600 billion US with higher taxes caused by the expiration of tax cuts brought in by Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush, coming down the pipe during the month.

If no budget deal is reached by the end of the year, world markets could panic as they did in previous U.S. fiscal showdowns, further threatening the country’s economic recovery and possibly triggering another global economic crisis.
Also looming is the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran and Israel pressing Obama for a so-called "red line," or threshold that would determine when both the United States and Israel would take military action against Iran's nuclear enrichment sites

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

POPULAR

First ever black guy president.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Universal Health Care.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#4 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Its too soon to tell. He hasnt even started his second term yet.
Posted Image

#5 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

failure

13yl1g7.jpg

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,307 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

So far it's Obamacare.

And winning a nobel peace prize while simultaneously mobilizing over 10,000 troops.
Posted Image

#7 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

black..

Posted Image

#8 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Its too soon to tell. He hasnt even started his second term yet.

Point missed? .. I am asking for speculation, thus creating discussion ..

For me it will be 1) First Minority President, 2) First steps to universal health care, 3) Shift in American foreign policy to stress diplomacy first, 4) Beginning of the end of the Republican Party as we know it

I also am hoping he starts to dismantle the military-industrial complex and steers America back to "democracy", where a motivated electorate takes charge of their countries agenda ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

His legacy?

Even a foreign born Muslim communist can grow up and steal a presidential election.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#10 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

His legacy?

Even a foreign born Muslim communist can grow up and steal a presidential election.

:lol: .. nailed it!!

#11 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Point missed? .. I am asking for speculation, thus creating discussion ..

For me it will be 1) First Minority President, 2) First steps to universal health care, 3) Shift in American foreign policy to stress diplomacy first, 4) Beginning of the end of the Republican Party as we know it

I also am hoping he starts to dismantle the military-industrial complex and steers America back to "democracy", where a motivated electorate takes charge of their countries agenda ..

I didnt miss the point at all. My opinion is its too soon to tell. I appreciate your views and hopes for the future. My gut instinct is that there is more coming , like the housing recovery and unemployment under 6% . If he pulls that off as well as all the rest he will go down as one of the greatest presidents.
Posted Image

#12 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I didnt miss the point at all. My opinion is its too soon to tell. I appreciate your views and hopes for the future. My gut instinct is that there is more coming , like the housing recovery and unemployment under 6% . If he pulls that off as well as all the rest he will go down as one of the greatest presidents.

Thanks .. I hope so as well .. so much will depend on the world economy .. **crosses fingers**

#13 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

A lot better than the (shudder) alternative. Shivers.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,307 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

"Not McCain/Palin? (Thank God?)"
Posted Image

#15 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Also he seems to carry the burden of being the "what have you done for me lately" President. Has actually accomplished much more than given credit for (at least in some media sources i've seen/read).
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#16 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Actually mixed race as his father was black and his mother was white.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#17 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Also in the words of Donald Trump.

The first ever president not born in the US.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#18 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

He's not even half way there. Ask this question in 2017 when Obama leaves the White House.

#19 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,807 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

He's not even half way there. Ask this question in 2017 when Obama leaves the White House.

Thank you for your input, oh mighty Svengali ..

#20 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Turning around the smouldering pile of dog sh!t that the USA was when he took over... Saving the US Auto industry... Obamacare... Economic rebound after recession... Pulling troops out of the Middle east... Bin Laden and Hussein dead...

His real legacy will most likely be healthcare. That was huge.

The auto industry, namely GM should have been put down. It was so poorly managed and run into the ground by the union that it was no longer competitive. Amount of worker healthcare costs baked into every vehicle GM makes = $1500. It's $97 for Toyota. No wonder they weren't competitive. Yet the union got a full ride on the bailout. Let the weak die and they will be replaced by the strong like Ford. For the record, Ford never needed 1 cent in bailout money.

The economy was a smouldering pile of dog doo when he came in, but it really isn't very different today. All they have done is kick the can down the road. There will eventually be hell to pay for these policies. The choice was take your lumps now or run up trillions in debt, and take them later. They chose later.

As for the economic rebound. i just don't see it. Interest rates have been at near zero for his entire presidency. Unprecedented amounts of stimulus have been thrown at this economy. For that you'd expect to see real growth. Yet the growth is anemic and faltering.

I hope things turn around under his leadership but I just don't see it. Still he's better that what the other ticket was offering in both elections.

Oh yeah, Hussein was dead for over 2 years before he came into office. Not sure how he gets credit for that.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 21 November 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#21 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

Thank you for your input, oh mighty Svengali ..

Really though. President Obama is half way done in a couple of months. How can anyone know what his legacy will be ? It will be decided over the next 4 plus years. Don't you think?

#22 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

For me, he'll always be the President that tried to sell Star Wars to the Chinese in exchage for re-election.

#23 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Really though. President Obama is half way done in a couple of months. How can anyone know what his legacy will be ? It will be decided over the next 4 plus years. Don't you think?

right, but what he means is that's like someone posting a topic "how do you think the canucks will do this year?" and you chiming in with "why don't we just wait and see once the playoffs are over?"

it's interesting and stimulating to speculate.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#24 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

With Obama and the Democratic Party making gains in the 2012 election, and Republican's in apparent disarray, what do you think will be Obama's final legacy, when history measures his effect on the United States of America, and the world?

What might Obama's legacy be after 4 more years?

U.S. president hints about climate change, immigration reform in victory speech

By Andrew Davidson, CBC News

Posted: Nov 7, 2012 6:40 AM ET

Last Updated: Nov 7, 2012 10:06 PM ET

Video Content

/i/gfx/play-media-lrg.gifObama's victory speech24:02

none
/gfx/images/news/promos/2012/04/18/andrew-davidson-140x80.jpg
Andrew DavidsonIn Chicago

Facebook

Twitter

Email

Related/i/gfx/play-media.gif

Close
America's next 4 years3:54
/i/gfx/play-media.gifPosted ImageAmerica's next 4 years3:54

As jubilant Democrats celebrated the re-election of Barack Obama at his Chicago victory party, talk quickly turned to how the U.S. president's legacy hinges on his next four years in office — and how compromise will be crucial in approaching issues ranging from avoiding another recession to taking the lead on climate change.
The struggling U.S. economy was the dominant election issue and chief on most voters' minds, according to exit polls. But Obama, in his victory speech early Wednesday, gave some indications of where he wants his second term to head beyond the recovery.
In a lofty address, he appealed for compromise with Republicans, saying he was willing to work with them to reduce the federal deficit and the country’s dependence on foreign oil, as well as reform the tax code and fix the immigration system.
The president also made a passing reference to the dangers of climate change, an issue that was barely mentioned in the campaign's earlier months until it roared back into the spotlight in the final days with superstorm Sandy's recent devastation of the coastlines of the U.S. northeast states.
"We want our children to live in an America that isn't burdened by debt, that isn’t weakened by inequality, that isn’t threatened by the destructive power of a warming planet," Obama said./gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/11/07/300-romney-rtr3a3kj.jpgRepublican presidential candidate Mitt Romney delivers his concession speech at his election night rally in Boston early Wednesday. (Brian Snyder/Reuters)
Speaking ahead of the president in his later-than-expected concession speech, defeated Republican nominee Mitt Romney made his own appeal for co-operation from both sides.
“At a time like this, we can't risk partisan bickering and political posturing," he said. "Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do the people's work, and we citizens also have to rise to the occasion."
But several volunteers and supporters attending Obama's victory bash said they now want the president to use his new mandate to go further, such as tackling climate change head-on or finding a peaceful solution to the impasse with Iran on its nuclear program.
Breakthough on immigration?

With a broader mandate than expected from Tuesday’s win, Obama also has the chance to shape and leave a legacy not just for himself, but also for his party, through the election’s connection with new constituencies that seem to be forming.

One obvious group would be Latinos, who overwhelmingly supported Obama at voting booths.
Polls have indicated a large majority of the Latino community favours immigration reform that would give some path toward permanent residency to the more than 12 million undocumented immigrants who already live and work in the United States.
Republicans, perhaps looking at how badly they fared among Hispanic voters in the presidential race this time around, could be willing to work to find common ground, despite past bipartisan attempts ending in failure and bitter recriminations.
At the Obama celebration in Chicago, supporter Angie Vaca said she wants the president to make immigration reform his top priority to help people "who love this country and live in fear of being pulled away from their dream."
“We’re tired of waiting," Vaca, 30, a nurse and U.S.-born Latina, told CBCNews.ca.
Congress still gridlocked?

Despite the conciliatory words from the two candidates, when the dust settled, Republicans still retained control of the House of Representatives, and the Democrats will hold on to the majority in the Senate./gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/11/07/300-chicago-obama-cp-035454.jpgSupporters cheer at the end of President Barack Obama's remarks during an election night party in Chicago. (Matt Rourke/Associated Press)
That leaves the structure of the partisan gridlock in Congress that plagued the last two years of Obama’s first term essentially intact, meaning he may again find himself limited in what he can accomplish when the new members take office in January.
"I'm not optimistic for a lot of healing coming out of this election,” Roger Simon, chief political columnist of Politico, told CBC News on Tuesday before the results came in.
In Simon’s eyes, the U.S. has entered a deep period of hyper-partisanship that has created a paralysis in Congress that shows no signs of dissipating.
“Congress is a place where hope goes to die,” Simon said bluntly.
Fiscal cliff, Iran loom as challenges

Even before Obama’s second term technically begins in January, he faces immediate short-term challenges, including high unemployment, slow growth and the country’s latest “fiscal cliff” of a budget crisis — this time, a set of already legislated federal spending cuts totalling $600 billion US with higher taxes caused by the expiration of tax cuts brought in by Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush, coming down the pipe during the month.

If no budget deal is reached by the end of the year, world markets could panic as they did in previous U.S. fiscal showdowns, further threatening the country’s economic recovery and possibly triggering another global economic crisis.
Also looming is the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran and Israel pressing Obama for a so-called "red line," or threshold that would determine when both the United States and Israel would take military action against Iran's nuclear enrichment sites

The whole fiscal cliff thing is a joke. This is exactly what america needs. Let the taxes go back to what they were and then start cutting the budget. This branding of the "Fiscal Cliff" makes it sound so scary. In reality it should be called "getting america on track". This is the only time that doing nothing actually is better than doing something. Just let it happen and things will begin to start moving in the right direction. Do anything else and you are just prolonging what you will need to do in the future anyways.

Posted Image

#25 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,213 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#26 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,444 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

He also had a Chinese step father.

Another thing, he has a half brother that lives in China. No joke.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

Well to a sizable minority of the US population, he will be the "worst president ever" no matter what he does.
Posted Image

#28 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,417 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

His legacy?

Aha! Wetcoaster finally reveals he's actually.....DONALD TRUMP!
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#29 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Can't believe no one has suggested punting Bin Laden off the planet...
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#30 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

As far as I can tell, He'll be the guy that got a peace prize for not being G.W. Bush

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.