Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

You know what really grinds my gears? Gas stations that charge for air...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

My aunt runs/owns a gas station in the Okanagan. It's a Petro Canada and from what I understand, it's on the owner/operator of the station for maintenance and the like. Apparently P.C. is the nameplate, supplies the fuel and store items but not much else. She's not extremely wealthy from this venture and I remember years ago her talking about having to shell out hundreds because some buffoon broke the sink somehow. I'd have to assume the same goes for compressor parts, although she doesn't charge for air at this point.

Bang on, MC Fatigue. I worked at Petro-Can on 4th and Cypress in Vancouver for 6 years. The person with the name on the station is the one who pays for everything. The owner of our station even paid for the gas on delivery. You have to sell big volumes of fuel and huge amounts of C-Store sales to make any money. We had a tunnel car wash, too, which was super expensive to run.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#32 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

One of the reasons I was so choked about it was that I don't carry change around. I had some large bills and my interac card. No one will break a hundred for some quarters and I wasn't about to pay a service fee on taking out $20 from the ATM.

Change is so outdated.

#33 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

One of the reasons I was so choked about it was that I don't carry change around. I had some large bills and my interac card. No one will break a hundred for some quarters and I wasn't about to pay a service fee on taking out $20 from the ATM.

Change is so outdated.

Totally, :D. Everything should have a debit card swiper on it, today! I rarely have cash and all my change is in a giant Coke bottle in my den.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#34 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

I throw most of my change in the street...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#35 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Went to that "Flying J" on Annacis... it was a Shell. Despite reservation, got the deed done.

Some goof had parked in front of the air machine too... I'm glad that they had a long cord because I dragged it right overtop of this idiot's car.

#36 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Some goof had parked in front of the air machine too... I'm glad that they had a long cord because I dragged it right overtop of this idiot's car.

Hey now... An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

#37 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hey now... An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Hans: An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Billy: No, it doesn't. There'll be one guy left with one eye. How's the last blind guy gonna take out the eye of the last guy left?

Anyways... it's cause and effect.

#38 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Colon D is like the batman of the gas-station. I like it.

FWYIerW.png

#39 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I was thinking more on the lines of Ambush Bug?
Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#40 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

My dad was just talking to me about this this morning. He was riding his bike across the knight street bridge when he noticed he had a flat. Went to the petrocan up the hill and yup, $1 for air. Complete frickin hose job. He said a lot of the same things you did in the op. $1.40L and you're going to charge for air? It's going to be a lot harder to maintain your compressor when I buy my gas at Chevron.

Posted Image

#41 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

My dad was just talking to me about this this morning. He was riding his bike across the knight street bridge when he noticed he had a flat. Went to the petrocan up the hill and yup, $1 for air. Complete frickin hose job. He said a lot of the same things you did in the op. $1.40L and you're going to charge for air? It's going to be a lot harder to maintain your compressor when I buy my gas at Chevron.

Word up, brother.
Hose job is right.

#42 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,560 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Chevron's usually have free air. But as one can see the oil companies love profit. So they don't even treat their franchisee's right allowing them to share in that profit. You know and encourage the employees and owners to provide great service to their customers so they come back?

Adam Smith must be rolling in his grave. We don't have a free market. We are getting less and less competition, and companies are taking customers for granted. Money is the god people really worship. Who cares about the product, the customers are sheep let's screw them as much as possible. At this time of year maybe a little Dickens is in order.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#43 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,971 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yep, $1 at my Petro Can....but they will turn on the compressor for free if you ask. They do it for me all the time.

Posted Image

#44 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

So you willingly drive a truck and pay $200 a week (most likely) for gas but not $0.50 for air which you might need once or twice a year..

This was what I was thinking but its probably about the principal of it. Gas is so expensive but you cant give away free air? Down here in the US gas is way cheaper but I have to pay 75 cents for air .
Posted Image

#45 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

They do it for me all the time.

If I was a Cougar, I bet they'd be doing things for me too.

#46 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

This was what I was thinking but its probably about the principal of it. Gas is so expensive but you cant give away free air? Down here in the US gas is way cheaper but I have to pay 75 cents for air .

It's like mechanics charging you for coffee in the waiting room when servicing your vehicle.
Or having a coin-operated water fountain at the gym

C'MON.

#47 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,971 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

LOL. They'll do it for you too...just say Deb sent you. ;)

And I forgot to say that you can air your problems here anytime...we're glad to be of no assistance at all in the matter.

Posted Image

#48 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh, we're doing air puns? Excellent.

I felt so deflated after seeing how greedy gas stations were.

#49 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

How much does gas cost where you live?

#50 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

the only place around me who doesn't charge is a chevron at nordel and river road. Which is a heck of a long bike ride, I often get two tired for it
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#51 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Simple solution: Blow air into your tires with your mouth. Problem solved. Gawd I am a problem solver

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#52 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Oh, we're doing air puns? Excellent.

I felt so deflated after seeing how greedy gas stations were.

Does this mean you're done airing out your grievances?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#53 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

What are you, a girl or something?

Just blow into your damn tires.

Kids these days...

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#54 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's not a rubber woman we're talking about people.
Posted Image

#55 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,759 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

It's certainly irritating. I get the comments from people that you're paying for the actually unit and upkeep that the average Joe/Jane owner has to pay to maintain... But I also feel(as you stated) that this is like charging you for water at the gym or coffee at the mechanic. It should be a cost of doing business thing.

That said, it doesn't appear to be going away. It also doesn't appear to be by chain to make matters even more difficult. From what I've observed it's on a station by station/owner by owner basis.

Long and the short of it...you're probably best off investing in either a decent sized home compressor for relatively quick fill ups or a (slower) portable unit for emergencies.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#56 :D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

It comes back to supporting stations that offer the better services.
If more business comes through stations that offer more, more becomes the standard.

#57 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

It's like mechanics charging you for coffee in the waiting room when servicing your vehicle.
Or having a coin-operated water fountain at the gym

C'MON.

Don't give them any ideas!
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.