The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michigan passes bill allowing concealed weapons in schools, day care centers, stadiums, churches

dudeone

Think guns have little to do with mass murders? On the same day that the Sandy Hook mass murder happened. There was also an attack on a primary school in China. The main difference being the weapon used. In one there was a gun and in the other there was a knife. The one in which there was a gun killed 20 children and 6 adults. The one in which there was a knife, no one actually died. The fact that no one died is remarkable. What is important to see there is the lethality between the two.

Both the attackers were brazen, and both were said to have had mental illnesses. So what are the differences then. The major difference was the accessibility to guns. One was in China where guns are very difficult to get and the other was in America where guns are thought to be a god given right. In instances like these, where people are unbalanced or downright crazy. Accessibility is the major contributor of how many people will likely die.

Gun control isn't about stopping career criminals. Career criminals are always looking for opportunities for their criminality. Gun control is about stopping and lessening the opportunity for incidents that are out of the ordinary for people. Gun control is about stopping the 17 year old that just had his PS3 taken from him, It's about stopping the person who just found out his girlfriend/boyfriend was sleeping around on them. It's all about convenience.

Gun control doesn't mean there can't be any guns. It means that there needs to be a much stricter guideline for who can or can not have them and what guns they should be allowed to have. No one needs to have an assault rifle or a near assault rifle. No one needs a handgun for hunting. No one needs to see people with mental illness have access to rifles.

It's time for Canada to tighten its regulations on guns before someone goes into one of our schools and relives Concordia or god forbid Sandy Hook.

He locked it because he felt like doing it. Why not lock the other two since you are saying there is already three of them?

SHE actually...

The first is a thread to talk about the Newtown shooting

The second is about gun control and concealed weapons. We allowed the second one because, ideally, the first should remain a thread only to honour the victims, not a place to get all political and bash each other's views. Didn't quite work out that way but that was the rationale behind allowing two threads.

SHE actually...

The first is a thread to talk about the Newtown shooting

The second is about gun control and concealed weapons. We allowed the second one because, ideally, the first should remain a thread only to honour the victims, not a place to get all political and bash each other's views. Didn't quite work out that way but that was the rationale behind allowing two threads.

I hate this attitude. Your thread while good was redundant. Just because you don't think so doesn't mean people don't understand.

On topic... Gun control is a part of the solution but not the entire solution. I agree whole heartedly that nobody needs military grade weapons but in a world with guns in it and human nature being what it is some serious looks need to be taken at their regulations.

Past that the mental health industry as a whole needs a shot of life which also means large shots of money. It's pretty sad that even in canada private centers do vastly better work than govt run agencies. The amount of kids I've seen get farmed through their teens and sent out at 19 with a pwd and a hug is amazing.

Of course there is attitude. Why would I look through a thread about a Michigan law when I'm making a thread about Canada and its own need for further Gun controls. I didn't even consider looking at the michigan law thread till after I had made my thread since the titles were about two completely different things. Should I have also read through the spiral Galaxy thread just to see if they also had gone off on a tangent that may have had some similarities?

:lol: .. I actually thought of that ironic conundrum our American cousins share and decided to not muddy the water .. how ironic that the Black and Latino communities are considered the main proponents of crime .. and yet they will soon control the ballot box, and when the war on drugs goes away there will be a couple of million more of them looking for work and benefits ..

As per the 2006 census Canada is 20% visible minority. The large portions being in our major cities.

As of 2010 US is 28% visible minority. The large portion being of Latino heritage and living in California and Texas, and African American living around the Gulf Coast.

Archived