The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Social media contribute to mass killings in USA?

WHL rocks

Not to belabor this point....but mass shootings have occurred throughout history even before the advent of social media...lol..Is Ed next going to lay Columbine, which happened 5 years before Facebook's launch, on social media's doorstep retroactively as well? Unreal....just unreal.

Well like the article I posted suggests. Social reasons are one of the main 'causes' along with financial. Which is why these things occur at schools far too often. I'm not saying social media sites are the end game for these tragedies, but one should consider all options in trying to understand them. From what I have read so far, social media sites contain all the stress and motivational factors to trigger events such as this. And have even been directly connected to the killers who broadcast warnings there before committing the act. My opinion is that we will see an increase in these connections to this subject in the future. Unfortunately.

Well like the article I posted suggests. Social reasons are one of the main 'causes' along with financial. Which is why these things occur at schools far too often. I'm not saying social media sites are the end game for these tragedies, but one should consider all options in trying to understand them. From what I have read so far, social media sites contain all the stress and motivational factors to trigger events such as this. And have even been directly connected to the killers who broadcast warnings there before committing the act. My opinion is that we will see an increase in these connections to this subject in the future. Unfortunately.

I don't think social media does, but to some degree I think that rather the media has some influence about how fervently they cover and swarm all over incidents like this. Someone who wants to get attention and be known for an event.. easy solution, kill a bunch of people, hell, even yourself along with them, and you'll be famous as every major media outlet across the planet will swoop in to give it 24/7 coverage.

"Social media" and "mass media" and "gun culture" can all be contributing factors in cases such as mass murders, just as access to firearms, reductions in mental health availability, poor parenting and low-sugar levels can contribute .. there are not just one or two prime reasons for these events .. there are many mitigating factors ..

Throwing our hands up in the air and pretending we can do nothing to change our Society is tantamount to being an accessory after the fact ..

Please tell me how you assert such a strong connection between the phrase "social reasons" and "social media"...Social reasons can be anything from the aforementioned media to rejection by peers, break up with a girlfriend/boyfriend, etc...you're stretching that a bit much for me to ascertain any real connection between social media specifically and these mass shootings.

Well I have already mentioned that racism, bullying and social isolation can all happen on social media sites. As well those 3 are primarily listed as triggers to these events. You can break a relationship on Facebook can you not? You can be rejected by peers on social media sites all the same. Tell something of a stressor that can happen socially, outside of social media and not in. So far all I see are more and more connections between the two. That and the fact the killer can get a TON of attention through social media.

Well I have already mentioned that racism, bullying and social isolation can all happen on social media sites. As well those 3 are primarily listed as triggers to these events. You can break a relationship on Facebook can you not? You can be rejected by peers on social media sites all the same. Tell something of a stressor that can happen socially, outside of social media and not in. So far all I see are more and more connections between the two. That and the fact the killer can get a TON of attention through social media.

Ok..as far as stressors that happen socially but outside of social media...how about problems in the classroom? Problems with grades? Problems with your parents? All these things lead to deranged behaviors as well, as well as sexual abuse, physical abuse...social media may be an underlying factor but in my view is not now and never has been a "root cause".

Archived