The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Some new stuff coming...

September: Okkervil River, Goldfrapp, Janelle Monae, The Weeknd, Islands, Mark Lanegan, and MGMT.

October: Pearl Jam, Shad, Deep Dark Woods (friends with a big fan of theirs), and...(wait for it)... Arcade Fire!

November: M.I.A. (I liked her until her terrible last album), Shearwater...

I haven't listened to the Dodos in a long time, but I'm curious about their new album.

The former guitarist for Calgary band Women (whose album Public Strain is an all-time favourite) joined the Dodos, but then died before anything significant was recorded. The album is supposedly heavily influenced by him and his work.

Women has a great discography, and the Chad VanGaalen album Diaper Island--ALSO influenced by VanGaalen's time producing Women's work--is equally phenomenal.

Everything those Women dudes touched turned to gold for a while. Maybe the Dodos got some of that too?

So guys, what do you think of this years Sigur Rós album Kveikur? I think it's much better than the previous album Valtari although still not as good as their older stuff like Agaetis Byrjun, Takk or the Brackets album.

I finally had time to listen to Queens of the Stone - Like Clockwork and imho, the album is much better than Era Vulgaris. I especially like songs Like Clockwork, The Vampyre of the Time and Memory, Kalopsia, I Appear Missing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-m0Vutqes

On the other hand, the new Nine Inch Nails album is utterly boring... :/

I am not much of a The National listener (actually I think I have heard only one older album twice), but my friend has persuaded me to go with her on their concert in September. She's a huge fan, so I hope I won't disappoint her by not being amused by the band. :D I remember when I was at U2 concert which was awesome, but before U2, Snow Patrol were playing and even though I liked their older albums (they had their huge radio hit chasing cars at that time) I was totally bored by their dull live performance.

btw: if you know of any good concerts in September/October, post here guys, or is there a specific thread for that?

I am not much of a The National listener (actually I think I have heard only one older album twice), but my friend has persuaded me to go with her on their concert in September. She's a huge fan, so I hope I won't disappoint her by not being amused by the band. :D I remember when I was at U2 concert which was awesome, but before U2, Snow Patrol were playing and even though I liked their older albums (they had their huge radio hit chasing cars at that time) I was totally bored by their dull live performance.

The National are great live, so even if you come in not a fan, you may end up leaving one...or, at least, be entertained.

Also, if you haven't heard their last three albums, you may be surprised. They grow on you big-time.

it sounds like the flaming lips because it's produced by the same dude. the dude also mixed the tame impala albums. some kinda wizard.

but imo, tame impala and the flaming lips have the best sounding drums since like...bonham. and the new mgmt has that same drum sound, which pumps me up.

alien days is a great song.

I actually quite like that MGMT album. A big time grower, gets better with each listen. Never been a big fan of their music beyond the obvious mega hits, but I like this. Sounds like the flaming lips meets the late-era Beatles or something

Ya, when I made that post I wasn't too keen on the album. It may have just been the mood I was in though because I've given it a few more listens and I like it more and more each time. Also, the more darker, cooler Autumn weather seems to put the sound of it in a better context for me.

it sounds like the flaming lips because it's produced by the same dude. the dude also mixed the tame impala albums. some kinda wizard.

but imo, tame impala and the flaming lips have the best sounding drums since like...bonham. and the new mgmt has that same drum sound, which pumps me up.

Is he the wizard behind that trippy, eerie sound?

makes sense

actually enjoy it more than the flaming lips album this year, so far. only been listening to this for a short period, but ive had it on repeat all day and i love it.

top ten of the year certainly

Archived