The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

tsn did a couple segments on luongo today and they named three realistic suitors that were interested.

1) Toronto - the team everyone knows wants lu. i dont buy that a deal is already made but i do believe that burke has pitched his best offer pending that nobody else ups the price. right now the offer is proably some combination of bozak, fransons rights, kadri, a B-level prospect, and a 1st or 2nd round pick

3) Edmonton - came into the picture right before the CBA expired. the only way this trade happens is if edmonton severly overpays and i dont see that happening. a fair trade would likley send paarvi, 1st, and jones. howerver a fair trade is not going to get it done, seeing as edmonton is a divisional opponent.

Great comments on the Value to the Leafs (and takes a bow very much what I have said in the past).

Which is the reason the Leafs will give up a REAL talent to get him.

http://video.tsn.ca/...837895/clip/397

Also interesting, this may help, media pumping up his tires now vs. kicking him down...

May have an impact, since there was so much negativity around him...

Also, some interesting comments of their (leafs) lack of talent at center - ha! Kadri? lol...My point again. Lack of talent at center yet Kadri can't make it!!!

Question to panel - Do leafs make the playoffs without Lou? Resounding No from ALL

BB's job is on the line. If the Leafs don't make the play offs he won't return next year, especially with the ownership change in TOR. The owners are cable companies, they need playoffs to generate revenue for their TV channels.

Although I'm a big MG supporter I don't think he's a good trader. With the Luongo trade MG has an opportunity to make up for his past shortcomings. He should hold off until BB folds and gives MG what he wants. If MG doesn't win this trade I'll be very disappointing.

BB's job is on the line. If the Leafs don't make the play offs he won't return next year, especially with the ownership change in TOR. The owners are cable companies, they need playoffs to generate revenue for their TV channels.

Although I'm a big MG supporter I don't think he's a good trader. With the Luongo trade MG has an opportunity to make up for his past shortcomings. He should hold off until BB folds and gives MG what he wants. If MG doesn't win this trade I'll be very disappointing.

This trade was lost a long time ago. We're not going to get nearly equal value for a guy like Roberto Luongo, who is still very, very good. We should've held on to Lou and traded Schneider; return would've been far higher and we're not placing this franchise at the behest of a first-time starter.

The real loss was in how this was handled by Gillis.

Why "MUST" he make the playoffs?

If they sneak in with Lou as the 7th seed, and get bounced in 5 games, what really has been gained? Especially if they part ways with a guy like Kadri, who goes on to excel in Vancouver.

A lot of you aren't seeing the risk from the other side. There's TONS of risk in whoever acquires Lu, which is why the current offering price is rumored to be so much lower than what MG wants. For example, what if Burke acquires him and he just doesn't play that good? What if he acquires him and they still miss the playoffs? What if they make the playoffs, but Lu melts down? Tons of inherent risk.

I am completely convinced that if Luo gets traded he will go to a left field team that can give us a reliable goaltender

To San Jose

Luo

Higgins

3rd

To Van

Niemi

Clowe

1st

Of corse all of you homers will say we are overpaying but in reality both teams need to feel they are getting the upper hand.

SJ is more desperate than we are to keep the window open. I don't think Clowe likes SJ he constantly lays that out in interviews. He would help this team and MG would be all over locking him up.

You wanna buy out a goalie? I think neimi would be an easier buy and probably relatively easy to move when lack is ready

Higgins is awesome but Clowe is more awesome both UFA's

We give SJ short term cap relief they give us long term cap relief.

We will not get high end prospects for Luo or capspace

it will involve a money exchange. So MG can help the team now and a contender can fit Luo in.

The buy out is kind of an interesting tool. We could take a big contract from a team that cannot afford a buyout in exchange for prospects. Like a DePetro. I can't imagine what the islanders would give to unload that sucker. Not saying Luongo would be part of that but it would be another way to acquire youth rather than using Luo.

Archived