The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

7thMan

The weird thing is if you're able to boycott the league/the team you cheer for are you really a fan in the first place? Yes, they were locked out and you couldnt watch the games for 2 months... but its back now, and it's always gonna be the same competitive game with the greatest players in the world. Going to a live game is one of the best forms of entertainment out there, yes it may be pricey but hey what is there better to do then watching your favourite team play with 18,000 other people yelling and screaming beside you. All I have to say is I will be attending all the Canucks games in Edmonton, and I will be watching every single game on Center Ice !!!

Go Canucks :canucks::towel:

The NHL owes its existence to the fans, and I wont summarily dismiss that like it doesnt mean anything.

I dont really understand where you are coming from. You seem to think that we should all be completely indifferent about the situation, is that how you felt? If you enjoy the game, werent you dissapointed and frustrated about having to endure another ridiculous lock out?

No way would I ever boycott my team. Being a fan makes your team a part of who you are. My team hasn't betrayed me. The NHL and the NHLPA has betrayed me.

The only way for me to send a message is to never wear a jersey with a name or number on it again. And to write letters to sponsors of the NHL letting them know I won't buy their product because they are affiliated with the NHL.

I'll always cheer for my team. I no longer cheer for the players and definitely not the league.

Again, a rude and stupid thing to say. If you don't agree, simply don't do it. But to go out of your way to call what other people think or are doing with their own money "childish and stupid" repeatedly is epitome of a childish, stupid waste of time.

One of us isn't paying attention. As I already pointed out, the owners didn't need rules to tell them not give out contracts that were bad for business. They just needed a little self control. (Or, they could have simply paid attention. Remember, they wrote the last CBA to their specifications. They could have simply looked at the problems the NBA was already having with a similar cap system and avoided those "problems" before they happened. They choose not to, making them seem less like unintended "problems" and more like intended features.) The new cap will be back to the old level in as few as 2 years and some money losing teams will actually be spending more as soon as the first full season. And, team revenue sharing BARELY increased, is still not sufficient to make all teams even breakeven year in and year out, and is still far below what other leagues share. Plus, the full amount now to be shared is actually below the amount the players gave up in this CBA alone. So, in reality the players are entirely funding the "team revenue sharing."

No, I understand the need for rules, just as I understand the need for self control. It's too bad you and the owners don't. Punishing players with this lockout because of the owners' misdeeds and then selling it to fans saying they were trying to help poor teams (which they didn't in any meaningful way) or trying to fix "problems" with the CBA they all but personally penned the last time is idiotic.

You're right, people don't always do the right thing. And that's why some of us care enough to want to hold the NHL responsible for their actions. Until they face actual consequences for their bad business model and bad treatment of the very people they depend on for all of that theoretical revenue they were fighting over, their behavior will never change.

That's true, you are expressing your opinion...just mostly about other people's opinions.

The lockout didn't bother you, great. You have every right to your feelings and experiences and to be as uninformed as you want to be. But, you also need to understand that your experiences and feelings are not everyone else's. It's simply too bad that you seem incapable, or simply unwilling, to acknowledge that other people having feelings or experiences that differ from your own is not "childish" or "stupid." And being that you fail to meet that basic standard of adult understanding, you're simply a waste of my time.

I can't afford the merchandise...CERTAINLY can't afford to go to Vancouver for a game. I can't and won't justify the Centre Ice package. So.

I will probably still watch network games. I won't lie about that, but honestly I don't feel in any way invested in the NHL at the moment.

I will have to wait and see if I watch less as the "season" goes on.

#dontbuystuff

Are you fed up with overpaid players? #dontbuystuff

Are you sick of subsidizing crappy US markets? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to give back to local establishments? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to help friends in the service industry who were broke this Christmas? #dontbuystuff

It's real simple people. We can easily get back at them while going to games and watching on TV. Just DON'T BUY STUFF.

No more overpriced beers.

No more overpriced parking.

No more overpriced programs.

No more alternate away reversible 3rd jerseys.

#dontbuystuff

Remember, it is your money. Make them play for you and #dontbuystuff #nhl #hrr

It has nothing to do with mismanagement. Not all markets are created equal. Don't confuse revenue with profit. Nor is that revenue or profit equally distibuted. Each team is an individual business. Unless each one can compete there is no point in having a 30 team league. Which means there has to be limits in place for what each team spends and how much the players receive. Otherwise you may as well reduce it back to a 6 team league and only keep the real money makers. Then the star palyers can get great contracts and the rest can go play in Europe for considerably less. But do you really want to see Vancouver play Toronto 15 or 16 times a year? Probably not. They could always cut it back to a 40 game season and play each team 8 times. But then again, you're only getting half a season which is what you're crying about right now.

These are all problems that the last CBA was meant to solve. If you honestly think this latest stoppage was justified and perfectly understandable, and that the fans who take issue are out of line, then its no wonder we have such a stark difference of opinions.

Archived