#211 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Are you going to be boycotting the NHL?

I would say no. I don't buy much anyways. Already have a jersey, toque and drink glasses. Plus I'm cheap.
I will most likely get Centre Ice. I have to so I can watch the Canucks. It would be hypocritical of me not to.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#212 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I didn't buy Centre Ice last year, but at $50 it's going to be hard to pass up this time.
Posted Image

#213 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,470 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

ya im debating whether to buy center ice now at 50 bucks apparently shaw is doing the same price but no longer gives access online too so its either or and shaw is doing a free preview til the 31st so i got time

#214 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Just a heads up: The Canucks don't actually care what you do with your tickets after you've paid for them. They already have your money.

Of course they don't. However I am doing my part and have already sold 2/3 of the season at prices that are lower than you get get on ticketmaster. That's 48 purchases at higher prices for single game tickets that won't be happening as a result.

And of course I won't be there buying beer or what not.

And no jerseys or anything.

Will it make a difference? A miniscule one. But everything adds up.

The great offers they have given to win me back?

Dollar hot dogs. Big deal. Talk to me when you have dollar beer night, that might interest me.

The ability to upgrade. How gracious, allowing me to spend even more money on a brand that treated it's customers like garbage (again).

The ability to buy more tickets before the general public. How awesome, even more money for them. How nice.

Heck, did they even think about going back to last year's prices? No way, still got the new higher ticket price this year. Less games, but they made sure to jam them in as tight as possible to make sure they get as much revenue as possible. Why worry about entertainment or tired players when there as couple extra nights of ticketing to get right?

So no, maybe I didn't bankrupt the millionaires, or the billionaires, but I did take a couple grand out of there pockets. And it all adds up.

And yes, some people that don't normally get to go will be going (60 bucks a ticket isn't so bad), so the hockey gods have no reason to disdain me.

Best of all, I get to save a bunch of money. Sure, the canucks still get all the money I would be giving them, but they aren't getting it from me, I am getting it all back from people that otherwise would be giving it to them.

#215 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

#dontbuystuff

Are you fed up with overpaid players? #dontbuystuff

Are you sick of subsidizing crappy US markets? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to give back to local establishments? #dontbuystuff

Do you want to help friends in the service industry who were broke this Christmas? #dontbuystuff

It's real simple people. We can easily get back at them while going to games and watching on TV. Just DON'T BUY STUFF.

No more overpriced beers.
No more overpriced parking.

No more overpriced programs.
No more alternate away reversible 3rd jerseys.
#dontbuystuff

Remember, it is your money. Make them play for you and #dontbuystuff #nhl #hrr

And, as an added bonus....

#If you can, undercut the ridiculous ticket master prices by selling your seasons tickets at cost increasing the supply and lowering the cost. Every bit helps.

#216 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'll be watching.

In fact, this will be the first time in ages that the season won't seem waaaay too damn long.

I would be more than fine with a shorter season moving forward no questions asked. Play every team home and away and your division twice that. 66 games. Perfect.

Main problem with this season isn't that it's 48 games. I could live with even that. It's the ridiculously late, ridiculously condensed schedule that's going to have oodles of oh so exciting back to back games where the players are gasping for breath after the first period game two, or decide to float through game 1 so that they have energy for the second.

Oh boy, can't wait!

Call me back next year with hopefully a better product and schedule that actually starts on time and is on a normal pace.

#217 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

Of course they don't. However I am doing my part and have already sold 2/3 of the season at prices that are lower than you get get on ticketmaster. That's 48 purchases at higher prices for single game tickets that won't be happening as a result.

Your logic fails big time. Someone purchasing your season tickets for a reduced price does NOT mean the Canucks will have empty seats.

The results of your attempt to undercut ticket master results as follows.

Ticket master, no effect.
Canucks, no effect.
Buyer, slightly better price
Seller (you). Less money, than you could have sold for.

#218 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Your logic fails big time. Someone purchasing your season tickets for a reduced price does NOT mean the Canucks will have empty seats.

The results of your attempt to undercut ticket master results as follows.

Ticket master, no effect.
Canucks, no effect.
Buyer, slightly better price
Seller (you). Less money, than you could have sold for.

Except these are all fans that would be buying a ticket at full price were it not for me.

Ticketmaster looses the commission.
The canucks get undercut as I sell to their potential customers at a lower prices.
Buyers get the same deal I get.
I am even money wise. You count all the money getting there or drinking 8 dollar beers and I am way, waaaaaaaaaay ahead.

My logic is undeniable.

#219 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Except these are all fans that would be buying a ticket at full price were it not for me.

Ticketmaster looses the commission.
The canucks get undercut as I sell to their potential customers at a lower prices.
Buyers get the same deal I get.
I am even money wise. You count all the money getting there or drinking 8 dollar beers and I am way, waaaaaaaaaay ahead.

My logic is undeniable.

I think you are being dishonest.

Ticketmaster gets commission from the very next guy.
The only way your "logic" works, is if tickets go unsold, and they won't.
fail

#220 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think you are being dishonest.

Ticketmaster gets commission from the very next guy.
The only way your "logic" works, is if tickets go unsold, and they won't.
fail

Hey, there's till a pair of tickets in row 24 in the lower bowl corner for 390. Go grab 'em!

I sold my better seats for 120.

I am getting all my money back and won't be spending any on high priced beer or other stuff.

By not going it's one less guy in line. Guaranteed they don't sell out every game this year without having to put up a LOT of half priced singles. Bet you by Saturday they are announcing last seat in the house deals for the weekend games.

#221 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Nhl is dead to me. The moronic diehards that bend over to these thieves and cutthroats just confirmed I made the right decision. No more corruption, no more aggrivation over biased reffing. I found other purer sports to watch.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 19 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Politeness is the first step to respect!

#222 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

No

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#223 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

Nhl is dead to me. The moronic diehards that bend over to these thieves and cutthroats just confirmed I made the right decision. No more corruption, no more aggrivation over biased reffing. I found other purer sports to watch.

Purer sports?
Is it soccer? Cause that diving ain't pure.
Is it baseball? Cause the steroid use ain't pure.
Is it basketball? Because there's been plenty of ref scandals, and ref scandals ain't pure.
Is it football? Because they just had a referee lockout.
Which is it.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#224 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Been an NHL fan for nearly 25 years...no chance in hell I boycott them now. I won't buy merchandise but I'll be watching as many games on Game Center Live as humanly posssible.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#225 Miller32

Miller32

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I for one am most definetly not going to. I was planning to save up and attend an absurdly priced Canucks game, I think I'm going to hold off for a while. Other than that I'm going to be donning my now
dusted off Canucks jersey (Edmonton one as well unless they're playing the Canucks), drinking my beer and doing what I've been itching to do for so long...Watch some damn hockey!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#226 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Purer sports?
Is it soccer? Cause that diving ain't pure.
Is it baseball? Cause the steroid use ain't pure.
Is it basketball? Because there's been plenty of ref scandals, and ref scandals ain't pure.
Is it football? Because they just had a referee lockout.
Which is it.

Archery B)
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#227 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,866 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

And of course I won't be there buying beer or what not.

And no jerseys or anything.

Will it make a difference? A miniscule one. But everything adds up.

The great offers they have given to win me back?

Dollar hot dogs. Big deal. Talk to me when you have dollar beer night, that might interest me.

The ability to upgrade. How gracious, allowing me to spend even more money on a brand that treated it's customers like garbage (again).

The ability to buy more tickets before the general public. How awesome, even more money for them. How nice.

Heck, did they even think about going back to last year's prices? No way, still got the new higher ticket price this year. Less games, but they made sure to jam them in as tight as possible to make sure they get as much revenue as possible. Why worry about entertainment or tired players when there as couple extra nights of ticketing to get right?

So no, maybe I didn't bankrupt the millionaires, or the billionaires, but I did take a couple grand out of there pockets. And it all adds up.

And yes, some people that don't normally get to go will be going (60 bucks a ticket isn't so bad), so the hockey gods have no reason to disdain me.

Best of all, I get to save a bunch of money. Sure, the canucks still get all the money I would be giving them, but they aren't getting it from me, I am getting it all back from people that otherwise would be giving it to them.

You really don't get it....

- They already have the money they expected for your tickets so it doesn't matter what you do with them
- You're not stealing a customer from TicketMaster as the games will be sold out anyway.
- The beer and munchies you're not consuming will be consumed by the person you sold your tickets to.
- Therefore you've had absolutely zero effect on the Canucks

Just so we're clear here:
You are so mad at the franchise that you couldn't go to games (which saved you money), you are selling your tickets and not going to games (which has no effect on the Canucks) in order to save yourself money. So ultimately you are doing to yourself what you are mad at the Canucks for doing. Which is not letting you go to games and saving you money in the process.

So what's next Einstein, going to boycott yourself for treating yourself like garbage by denying yourself hockey and saving yourself money? :lol:
Posted Image

#228 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

You really don't get it....

- They already have the money they expected for your tickets so it doesn't matter what you do with them
- You're not stealing a customer from TicketMaster as the games will be sold out anyway.
- The beer and munchies you're not consuming will be consumed by the person you sold your tickets to.
- Therefore you've had absolutely zero effect on the Canucks

Just so we're clear here:
You are so mad at the franchise that you couldn't go to games (which saved you money), you are selling your tickets and not going to games (which has no effect on the Canucks) in order to save yourself money. So ultimately you are doing to yourself what you are mad at the Canucks for doing. Which is not letting you go to games and saving you money in the process.

So what's next Einstein, going to boycott yourself for treating yourself like garbage by denying yourself hockey and saving yourself money? :lol:

If you don't understand supply and demand that's your own problem.

Rest assured the people going to the games will be visiting the concessions less than me. Much less.

Obviously it won't have a giant effect but ever act of badwill adds up. Even a 5 or 10 drop in revenues for a business hurts.

That I am doing what the Canucks did to me is not lost on me at all. Turnaround is fair play.

Oh, and saving a bunch of money, staying home where beer is cheap, and watching the game on my new LED TV is hardly treating myself like garbage. Nor does it exactly break my heart to give good deals to friends. Some of whom happen to have seasons tickets to things like the Lion's and Whitecaps.

Not attending a game live isn't going to make me feel like garbage. It's been exactly what I expected.

Like I said, let's see if they actually do keep up the sellout streak........

#229 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've been telling myself for months now that I'm going to boycott the NHL the rest of this season.

I've been telling anyone that would listen to me rail against the greedy owners and players that I've had enough of this crap and I'm tired of being taken for granted.

I've told my kids that the fans need to be heard some how so that this doesn't happen again.

Yet I've found myself getting increasingly excited the last few days and now here we are...Saturday...game day...and I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!!

Yes I'm angry NHL... and I am going to watch...just don't let it happen again!!!!

1zchaix.jpg

#230 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I've been telling myself for months now that I'm going to boycott the NHL the rest of this season.

I've been telling anyone that would listen to me rail against the greedy owners and players that I've had enough of this crap and I'm tired of being taken for granted.

I've told my kids that the fans need to be heard some how so that this doesn't happen again.

Yet I've found myself getting increasingly excited the last few days and now here we are...Saturday...game day...and I JUST CAN'T DO IT!!!

Yes I'm angry NHL... and I am going to watch...just don't let it happen again!!!!

I never threatened a boycott simply because it would mean nothing. The NHL shut down for half the season and the players ended up where everyone knew they would anyways. They lost $800 million and the owners got pretty much what they wanted. I am not assigning responsibility for who was at fault. My issue with the NHLPA was their negociating posture which was futile from the get go.

#231 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

To those who don't believe a boycott has any affect, I just learned today that a boycott in Atlanta ended segregation. It was the first non-violent protest. Rosa Park, an African American woman was asked to give up her seat for a white male. She refused and was consequently arrested. This prompted all African Americans to boycott using the bus for an entire year. They car pooled, they walked and sometimes as far as 8 miles. They accounted for I believe 65% or 75% of the buses clientelle, so it hit the buses revenue hard. Imagine being their main revenue source yet you are treated like 2nd class. This pushed the bus system to desegregate and African Americans were allowed to sit wherever they like. This prompted other desegregation movements. Granted the boycott has to be significant in mass numbers and hinder their bottom line...money talks.

However, these lockouts aren't exactly a display of blatant injustice, it is more of an economic issue and strangleholding a national sport. Oh, how far we've come. Has anyone seen that SNL skit when critical iPhone users are put face to face with the Chinese workers who manufactured them...our problems are minimal compared to other countries...but I digress. Anyhow, in these instances, I believe it's the owners that need to put an end to this (it's affecting their business & pissing off their fans/customers). The government as well should get involved where public funding has been provided as it cripples the surrounding businesses. I'm sure there is a clause in that agreement that states that acceptance of such public funding is subject to meeting certain terms ie. sustaining businesses in the area, providing sport entertainment to the community, hence, the purpose of the hand out. But if they choose to be silent and remain status quo, then the fans need to be heard and if economics is the only thing that will capture the attention of the league...so be it.

Edited by Mauii, 19 January 2013 - 11:40 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#232 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,866 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

That I am doing what the Canucks did to me is not lost on me at all. Turnaround is fair play.

Oh, and saving a bunch of money, staying home where beer is cheap, and watching the game on my new LED TV is hardly treating myself like garbage. Nor does it exactly break my heart to give good deals to friends. Some of whom happen to have seasons tickets to things like the Lion's and Whitecaps.

Not attending a game live isn't going to make me feel like garbage. It's been exactly what I expected.

Like I said, let's see if they actually do keep up the sellout streak........

Hmmm, sitting on your couch saving money watching sports on your big 'ol TV. Didn't you do exactly that during the labour dispute? So how was it "treating you like garbage" then but not now doing it to yourself? You're doing exactly the same thing with exactly the same result. You don't see the irony in that?

With an 8 year waiting list I don't see the sellout streak ending any time soon.
Posted Image

#233 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yep sure looks like a lot of boycotting going on around the league. Empty rinks. No one watching. Are the games even on TV?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.