The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Renaud: Lappy gained 20 lbs. of muscle

Strombone1

Personally I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did a couple of cycles over the past 8 or 9 months. 20lbs of lean muscle is a lot.

In my experience its mostly the fans who aren't personal friends with any pro athletes or trained at a high level themselves who usually live in a fantasy world, re: pro athletes and steroids. For some reason these people look at pro athletes as heroes etc.

In Canada for some reason many hockey fans have a real rime believing hockey players do steroids. They will get pretty riled up if someone suggest otherwise. Many times the reasoning is hockey players don't need to get big like foot ball players. These ppl don't know there are a 100 types of steroids and they don't all make you huge. Many make you lose weight, some help with endurance others with strength.There are different drugs for different goals. And usually they are taken in stacks with different types of steroids to achieve desired goals.

Personally I couldn't care less if he cranked or not. As long as he plays good and helps bring a cup its all fine by me. As far as I'm concerned there are many players on each team that juice.

Arm muscle will help his shot most importantly and give him a much harder pass so hopefully he's working on shooting drills as well as beefing up.

If he bites his tongue and goes the route of Burrows and Kesler by focussing on hockey and not yapping all the time this guy will be a solid replacement for Kesler. 40 points is definately not out of the question.

For those talking about roids, I gained 20 pounds of muscle in less time than that, just by eating more proteins. And that muscle was gained through working in construction, and no gym. And I have no trainer. I also have an insane metabolism and normally a hard time putting weight on. If I can do it, no question Lapierre and his resources can net that much weight in this amount of time.

I love how all these amateur lifters immediately jump to the conclusion that a player on the team they root for is using steroids... When there is zero evidence. If any of you has burned an average of 5000 calories a day for 7 straight months... Tell me if you don't lose 5-10 pounds of muscle. Putting on muscle that you lost is easier than putting muscle on that you never had. So lets say that he lost 10 pounds of muscle last year. He is able to put that back on by early August (assuming hard work, dietitian, good genetics, trainer). He then has 6 months to gain 18 pounds of muscle.

Is 3 pounds a month really cause for steroid accusations? And why would your first argument not be to attribute some of that to waterweight and fat?

Give your heads a shake.

people need to read between the lines here. He obviously didn't gain 20lb of lean muscle. That just isnt possible. Get your bro science crap out of here about how you gained 40lb in a year before or put on 10lb in a month. That is not lean muscle. You are also gaining fat, water weight etc. as well. Just because you put on a bunch of weight and dont look fat in the process does not mean you gained all muscle. I dont doubt for a second he put on that much weight but a person whose been working out as long as he has at that age is not gonna be gaining more then 1lb of lean muscle a month(which is really really really good/rare). Nice to see the dedication though.

I

Nice broscience.

Even with good genetics, ain't nobody gaining 57 pounds of lean muscle even in a whole year. Impossible. Especially not a 27 year old who's probably been hitting weights since he was 14. Not naturally at least.

And I doubt he was training the whole time since the Kings game, we know he went on a trip to Alaska with Bieksa, he probably spent time enjoying the summer too. To gain 20 pounds of lean muscle in under a year when you've already been training for decades...you'd have to have really good genetics/steroids and a strict regime and diet specifically for the purpose of bulking and nothing else.

I'm not doubting he's made some gains. I'm quite happy to hear of his dedication. But I'm certain he hasn't put on 20 pounds of muscle naturally in such a short span of time.

I don't think he did roids at all, I just think it is either exaggerated or misinterpreted

There is not a natural supplement in the world that can make you gain that much muscle in a year. Or is there?

Other ways to sidestep steroid testing and get amazing results is human growth hormone HGH.

Not the easily available synthetic version but the actual hormone extracted from the pituitary glands of dead People

It is some high dollar stuff. It is very hard to detect because it is water based which means you need to inject it daily unlike oil base steroids.

You also don't need to be on HGH to reap the benefits.

the genuine HGH cycle is like going through puberty again. It gives you a near permanent muscle base. It doesn't wither away like synthetically built muscle.

You can even take a homeopathic version, not nearly as potent but even harder to detect.

One way too tell if someone has done a lot of the real HGH is they get a eyebrow overhang caveman looking face. The perfect example of a HGH monkey is a old pro wrestler named Scott Steiner he openly supports HGH and it looks it.

I believe a lot of athletes do this periodically and I really don't see a problem with it.

As a big fan of Lappy AND Mason Raymond, I will be disappointed if Raymond too hasn't grabbed this long layoff to boost his muscle/weight.

As most know I don't buy into the "he's always falling down" stuff but even I would admit that at his height he is underweight if he wants to survive in the 2nd line.

As I was reading the above, my pleasure at the thought of Lappy being "even more powerful was tempered by the thought that players all over the league will have probably been doing similar development. If that is the case and Raymond has stayed at his 185 lbs weight he could be in for some rough rides.

I don't know but that sounds off. I remember a player being talked about one time and they said he spent the summer building muscle and he gained 2 or 3 pounds of muscle. Also when they say gained 20 pounds I'm assuming they mean from the end of last season after he had lost weight through the grind of the season. He can't possibly be 20 pounds more than last year's training camp.

He already seemed like a pretty strong guy before, he should be a serious load to handle this season.

Archived