Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

http://www.vancouver...9499/story.html

Shut down New Westminster strip club, Coquitlam students say

By Jeremy Deutsch, Coquitlam Now January 18, 2013 10:40 AM
For years, the Paramount Gentlemen's Club in New Westminster has been offering adult entertainment without much attention.
But a group of Coquitlam high school students is about to change that, using the power of the pen.
As part of a social justice class project, a group of Dr. Charles Best Secondary students will be heading to the Royal City in order to gather signatures for a petition calling on politicians to shut the strip club down.
About 50 students from the school are set to meet Saturday at Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue in New West, where they will set up information tables and break into groups to try and get signatures from residents.
Teacher Ken Ipe said the Grade 12s decided to focus on the Paramount because some of them have friends who frequent the club.
The club is open to 18 year olds because it does not have a liquor licence or serve alcohol.
Ipe suggested the club is catering to a younger clientele, including university students and even high school students.
"We think that sexism is not a healthy part of society and I think that strip clubs are a reminder that blatant sexism is alive and well in the culture," he told The NOW.
Specifically, the petition is asking New Westminster city council to reconsider the Paramount's licence and instead consider the effect strip clubs have on the culture of a community.
Ipe said the students aren't expecting to transform society with their efforts, but rather see the petition as a small step in recognizing women as equals and not objects.
He noted the class has garnered support from some Coquitlam politicians, including Coun. Selina Robinson and Trustee Gail Alty.
The club's website bills the Paramount as "Metro Vancouver's premiere gentleman's [sic] club and the cities [sic] ultimate experience in adult entertainment."
The website also boasts the Paramount has more dancers working than any other club in the city.
Ryan Lepper is one of the students taking part in the class project.
He argued strip clubs objectify woman because they give the men visiting the impression women are just objects meant to be bought and sold.
"It sexualizes them by saying that they are only objects meant to pleasure men, and we don't want girls growing up in a world where they are viewed that way," he wrote in an e-mail.
He said the plan is to take the petition to an upcoming city council meeting for a presentation.
Lepper also noted the class did not contact the club in regards to the petition.
For safety reasons, the students decided not to set up in front of the club during its nighttime business hours.
Calls to the Paramount for comment were not returned by The NOW's press deadline.
© Copyright © Coquitlam Now

---

So high school students are in charge of social engineering and dictating our attitudes now? What kind of douchebag teacher would lead a drive like this? I thought brainwashing students and making them foot soldiers for their ideology was forbidden practice in the teaching profession.

#2 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,510 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

POPULAR

nerds.

#3 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

POPULAR

bunch of no fun nancies

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#4 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

What has this world come to... :picard:
Posted Image

#5 JordanEberle

JordanEberle

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

who are these awful people, its not like these women are being forced to do this. It's their job.
Posted Image
Credit: Garrett-6

#6 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

POPULAR

They are from a school in Coquitlam, what can you expect?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#7 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

What the hell is wrong with the youth today?
Posted Image

#8 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

POPULAR

Obviously those 50 kids need to get laid...

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#9 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

For safety reasons, the students decided not to set up in front of the club during its nighttime business hours.

Wusses.

/=S=/

#10 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

When I oggle hot guys, I don't have the attitude that they are there just for my entertainment. I mean, there's also the part about opening a lid on a jar that is too tight. ;)

Seriously, I get the philosophy behind their fight and I commend them for wanting to further a cause, but I don't think that strip clubs MAKE people view women or men in a particular light. And I don't think it's as serious as if you go to a strip club, that you are someone who thinks of women (again, or men) in such a total and one-dimentsional way. You just appreciate the human form.

So, rather than trying to shut down a strip club, I suggest they do some pro-acceptance posters or something (and not just for women, but for all people, who face similar stereotyping).

Edited by EX_Bert_Worshipper, 18 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#11 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Lepper also noted the class did not contact the club in regards to the petition.

That right there tells you all you need to know.

#12 freebass

freebass

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

who are these awful people, its not like these women are being forced to do this. It's their job.

And they make a ton of money doing it!!! these guys are fools!!! these women know what exactly is going on. And what EXACTLY they are doing is showing some skin so these knucklehead will throw there whole paycheques at them. So who's using who here?

ps. I bet none of they guys have ever even seen a boob.

I never thought this forum would ever be any good but this whole penis thing is pretty awesome.

I said we lost to USA because of ARE GOALTENDING!!! do you know how to read?

#13 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

What a bunch of weenies.

#14 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,771 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Strip clubs are fun.
Posted Image

#15 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

lol

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#16 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,171 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

And they make a ton of money doing it!!! these guys are fools!!! these women know what exactly is going on. And what EXACTLY they are doing is showing some skin so these knucklehead will throw there whole paycheques at them. So who's using who here?

Yep, someone is being objectified alright. The customers look like ATM machines to the workers.

#17 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

^^^ This. They never even talked to the dancers to see if they were 'forced' to take up this evil lifestyle. :picard:
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#18 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,171 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

When I oggle hot guys, I don't have the attitude that they are there just for my entertainment. I mean, there's also the part about opening a lid on a jar that is too tight. ;)

Seriously, I get the philosophy behind their fight and I commend them for wanting to further a cause, but I don't think that strip clubs MAKE people view women or men in a particular light. And I don't think it's as serious as if you go to a strip club, that you are someone who thinks of women (again, or men) in such a total and one-dimentsional way. You just appreciate the human form.

So, rather than trying to shut down a strip club, I suggest they do some pro-acceptance posters or something (and not just for women, but for all people, who face similar stereotyping).

There's been a desire to look at people long before the proliferation of strip clubs and the internet. Those jokes about the Sear's catalogue exist for a reason.

#19 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Jeez. Won't somebody please think of the strippers?

There's barely any clubs left around here.
Posted Image

#20 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

#21 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

These students need free lap dances from the strippers, that should change their mind.

Edited by vancanfan, 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#22 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,171 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

^^^ This. They never even talked to the dancers to see if they were 'forced' to take up this evil lifestyle. :picard:

Oh, and I suppose one could also point out that by decrying those women's right to work their chosen profession that they are being paternalistic at a minimum.

Isn't social justice class fun! You can be an oppressive bastard regardless of your position on some things!

#23 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

http://www.vancouver...9499/story.html

Shut down New Westminster strip club, Coquitlam students say

By Jeremy Deutsch, Coquitlam Now January 18, 2013 10:40 AM
For years, the Paramount Gentlemen's Club in New Westminster has been offering adult entertainment without much attention.
But a group of Coquitlam high school students is about to change that, using the power of the pen.
As part of a social justice class project, a group of Dr. Charles Best Secondary students will be heading to the Royal City in order to gather signatures for a petition calling on politicians to shut the strip club down.
About 50 students from the school are set to meet Saturday at Sixth Street and Sixth Avenue in New West, where they will set up information tables and break into groups to try and get signatures from residents.
Teacher Ken Ipe said the Grade 12s decided to focus on the Paramount because some of them have friends who frequent the club.
The club is open to 18 year olds because it does not have a liquor licence or serve alcohol.
Ipe suggested the club is catering to a younger clientele, including university students and even high school students.
"We think that sexism is not a healthy part of society and I think that strip clubs are a reminder that blatant sexism is alive and well in the culture," he told The NOW.
Specifically, the petition is asking New Westminster city council to reconsider the Paramount's licence and instead consider the effect strip clubs have on the culture of a community.
Ipe said the students aren't expecting to transform society with their efforts, but rather see the petition as a small step in recognizing women as equals and not objects.
He noted the class has garnered support from some Coquitlam politicians, including Coun. Selina Robinson and Trustee Gail Alty.
The club's website bills the Paramount as "Metro Vancouver's premiere gentleman's [sic] club and the cities [sic] ultimate experience in adult entertainment."
The website also boasts the Paramount has more dancers working than any other club in the city.
Ryan Lepper is one of the students taking part in the class project.
He argued strip clubs objectify woman because they give the men visiting the impression women are just objects meant to be bought and sold.
"It sexualizes them by saying that they are only objects meant to pleasure men, and we don't want girls growing up in a world where they are viewed that way," he wrote in an e-mail.
He said the plan is to take the petition to an upcoming city council meeting for a presentation.
Calls to the Paramount for comment were not returned by The NOW's press deadline.
© Copyright © Coquitlam Now

---

So high school students are in charge of social engineering and dictating our attitudes now? What kind of douchebag teacher would lead a drive like this? I thought brainwashing students and making them foot soldiers for their ideology was forbidden practice in the teaching profession.

What do you expect from the leftwing Teachers Federation?. They have been in indoctinating students about social justice issues for years. The role of women in society, feminism, human rights, gay rights, etc.

Edited by DonLever, 18 January 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,096 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Even women with daddy issues need employable job skills.

But seriously, free will and anything within the realm of law and morality. So long as they aren't running an illegal drug and prostitution ring, or using it as a front for organized crime, there's no issue.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#25 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Just wait for those highschool students to realize how expensive colleges and universities are.
Posted Image

#26 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

What do you expect from the leftwing Teachers Federation?. They have been in indoctinating students about social justice issues for years. The role of women in society, feminism, human rights, gay rights, etc.

"social justice" being the key, yet :picard: worthy words

Edited by Common sense, 18 January 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#27 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wow......... just wow......

Old dinosaurs die hard.

Even women with daddy issues need employable job skills.

But seriously, free will and anything within the realm of law and morality. So long as they aren't running an illegal drug and prostitution ring, or using it as a front for organized crime, there's no issue.

This.....the bolded part.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 18 January 2013 - 03:23 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#28 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

WOW. Find something better to do :picard:
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#29 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

WOW. Find something better to do :picard:

Indeed. In fact someone should protest these young little idiots for infringing on that's club's employees rights to earn a living at their chosen (and perfectly legal I might ad) profession.

Well intentioned but misguided.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

nerds.

precisely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Edited by schlaBAM, 18 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.