141 replies to this topic

#61 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I remember going to games at Pacific Colliseum and people would cheer loud for pretty much every good play. Good pass, good check, good save, good pk or pp. Now people seem to only cheer for goals mostly. I only go to about one game per year but I try to keep that tradition up, but Im only one guy going to one game. I think that another reason for the lack of noise is that we are spoiled. We have pretty much made the playoffs, won the division every year plus 2 presidents trophies. We have two of the best players, who are twin brothers, that provide some of the best hockey and we have seen it soo much its not so special anymore. Still blows me away when I see them out numbered and outsized and own the puck. We have the best goalie in franchise history by a landslide, and we cant seem to get rid of him fast enough.

#62 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

The crowd feel is a reflection of the people in the city.

Go to a game in Buffalo, Philly, Winnipeg etc. Lots of atmosphere, lots of yelling, lot of blue collar guys that can afford to go to the game.

Vancouver is a very yuppie, half-caf foamy soy frappucino, pretentious, expensive city. The blue collar guy/girl can't afford to go to many games given the cost of living here.

Look at the crowds at BC Lions games. Lots of fun and lots of dudes driving in from Chilliwack once a week to sit in seats that cost them $40. The one complaint about the Lions last season was that ticket prices are starting to creep up. What do you know?!?! Attendance goes down.

The more expensive a product becomes, the more exclusive it becomes. The more exclusive it becomes, the more pretentious people are attracted to it. Pretentious people would never lower themselves to yell at a ref as it might just make them look less awesome.

I have seats in the club section and see it all the time...

Also agree with this 100%. It's true.

Back when the Nux were still playing in the Pacific Coliseum, the things I stood up and screamed, I'd be put in jail for now.
Thank God I got to experience that. I don't go to games at Rogers place now. It's not worth it.

Why pay hundreds of dollars to go see the game live only to be cajoled by the ushers every time you speak your mind because oh good heavens... you might just offend someone... :rolleyes:

No thanks. I'll sit at home or hit a pub, drink, scream, or curse as much as I want.

If I wanna sit on my hands, I'll go to the library (which is free btw)

Edited by darkpoet, 21 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#63 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Cheaper beer will raise the noise levels considerably. Guaranteed.

/=S=/

#64 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,176 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I remember how loud GM Place used to be during the WCE era. Since then it has dropped.

307mg00.jpg

#65 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Cheaper beer will raise the noise levels considerably. Guaranteed.

It won't, because after a few pops you'll be tipsy enough to actually stand up and start making noise and having fun - at which point you will be asked to leave.

Edited by darkpoet, 21 January 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#66 ripsh0w

ripsh0w

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

It won't, because after a few pops you'll be tipsy enough to actually stand up and start making noise and having fun - at which point you will be asked to leave.

Maybe, but if 70% of the arena was doing it, theywouldn't be asking them to leave

Posted Image

#67 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Lets just say louder, anyways point is don't bring race into this issue. I'm not east indian just went to high school with alot them and they not reserve and shy as Chinese People.

And your clueless, so how was the majority of Caucasians rioting? Rioting is not a good look right? Who cares about bar fight is nothing compared to rioting and potential hurting innocent people.

I can believe business people being less loud etc but I don't believe race is an issue. I think business and age if anything has more to do with how drunk or loud you get at a game.

Wow.

Please learn english if you're going to respond to my posts, and especially if you're going to make an attempt at insulting me. You're either not from around here, 9 years old, or you just never listened in school. Or all of the above?

#68 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

What bothers me with these threads are the idiots birating people that can afford expensive tickets.
Posted Image

#69 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I don't mind the goal song.

I like our old one too, maybe more than this one but unlike the old one (Holiday) this one we can actually sing along to, the other one was played at a part in the song where there was nothing to sing along too.

zackass.png

#70 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ahh, fantastic point.

/=S=/

#71 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I agree on one thing just from listening to the arena music while watching at home, the music was lacklustre and boring.

#72 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

The blue collar folks, who are really into hockey, can't afford to go anymore. NHL hockey in Canada has become a totally elitist form of entertainment.

Give me beer, buddies, pizza and man cave and I'm good to go at a 10th the price!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#73 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

The blue collar folks, who are really into hockey, can't afford to go anymore. NHL hockey in Canada has become a totally elitist form of entertainment.

Give me beer, buddies, pizza and man cave and I'm good to go at a 10th the price!

Definitely. My uncle has season tickets and underground parking but he doesn't even use the parking anymore because they slapped a $40 price tag on the process of parking your car.
Posted Image

#74 canucksforalways

canucksforalways

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I am almost glad I can only afford nose bleed seats at Canucks games. The atmosphere up there is way better then in the lower bowl.

I would rather sit with the passionate fans then to sit lower!

#75 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Lowering ticket prices would benefit the scalpers, not the rest of us (unless you already hold season tickets)

#76 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

The lower bowl is the cash cow for the organization (maybe food & beverage as well actually - huge mark up) so the organization is not likely going to change that. What the organization should do and probably can do is dedicate a section to passionate fans ie. the Molson section or standing room at the Zamboni entrance, like what they do for Whitecaps games. They're in the far corner in the rain, they occupy a whole section and are largely responsible for all the chants and "noise" at games, and it can be quite entertaining and funny. They even have their own title "Southsiders". Looks like they have their own website and membership program as well. Something like that could be interesting. With CDC members that could be in the thousands...talk about a cash cow.

Edited by Mauii, 21 January 2013 - 09:19 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#77 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Wow.

Please learn english if you're going to respond to my posts, and especially if you're going to make an attempt at insulting me. You're either not from around here, 9 years old, or you just never listened in school. Or all of the above?

Wow

Look how conceited and condescending you are. I can see why you wouldn't have a lot friends with different nationalities. You sound like someone who grew up with a silver spoon. Maybe noise level isnt affected by how the Canucks are playing maybe its a result of too many snobby fans like you.

#78 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Time for a new DJ. This guy plays Phish. I like Phish, but its for stoned hippies who want jam out. When he's not playing Phish, he's playing Top 40 crap or electronic music.

He's got te get gone!

#79 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Also this is on Aquillini. This is his building, the Colliseum use to be loud and into it. He's created the corporate and family culture that has neutered the hard core fans. Its on you Franny!

#80 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

CBJ's arena is louder... <_<

#81 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

too many suits and too many brand new Canadians that don't even know the game, lethal combination.
Winnipeg gets rabid hockey fans, not businessmen on their blackberries or people that just moved here from Hong Kong/India.
dont forget about the puck bunnies. skanks and snake charmers either. usually too busy runway modelling the stairs or looking around for fresh meat.
lastly, any of the remaining noise making contingent is usually too stoned.
The noise level has gone down as the percentage of "corporate" seats rises.

Wow any other racist bs buddy?

1. I'm sure its not someone who's just moved here from India or HK, just probably they are brown or asian and it bothers you

2. Even if they are brand new to Canada, perhaps thats a good thing? people integrating into canadian society, getting to be part of something important to canadians. Isn't that what racist idiots like you always complain about? That they don't integrate

3. Grow up

4. Your white hood and cape are a bit dated.

5. Maybe go get an education, make some real money and you'll be able to afford tickets.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 21 January 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#82 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Dj ball
Don't talk about race issue when you don't know crap. East Indian people are super rowdy lol when they drunk. So you out to lunch there buddy

i dont mean east indians or chinese canadians. i know they get rowdy, im talking foreigners. not canadians.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#83 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Time for a new DJ. This guy plays Phish. I like Phish, but its for stoned hippies who want jam out. When he's not playing Phish, he's playing Top 40 crap or electronic music.

He's got te get gone!

I heard him play The Go Go's "We got the Beat" the other night. Seriously??? At a hockey game?

#84 Goalscorer

Goalscorer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Long time season ticket holder (92) and yes there is a difference from the days on Renfrew to today. I sit in the lower bowl and have noticed the following:

The choice of music is poor - a little more rock please
Gender - more females are attending games
Race is not a factor for cheering or not
Today - Canucks fans but not NHL fans - cant name a couple of players from the visiting team - Whats a 4 pointer?

I see 7-10 games a year and maybe I am spoiled or it's become old hat but it's rare for me to walk out of Rogers and say, I had a great time.

#85 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

funny... The last two games I went to I was in the lower bowl and cheered like there was no tomorrow and no ushers told me to calm down. I hate people that complain about drink prices. Yes, its expensive but if you cant afford it too bad! you know its expensive before you go so have a few drinks at home or at the shark club right in the sandman. Im a university student and can afford to fly to van, stay at a hotel for a week and go to two games every year and drink... its not hard to do

Its pretty mild at games. I've been privelidged enough to have partial access to those hated 'corporate season tickets' where everything is taken care of. I also cheer and jeer a lot. Mostly I get looks from other people who just feel embarassed that there is a guy yelling something. Not that I care. It makes me weep whenever I see someone pay $8.50 for half a plastic cup of cheap beer though.

#86 Mwandazimu

Mwandazimu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

CBJ's arena is louder... <_<

I find this to be quite sad. I do think that the choice of music has a lot to do with this though.

#87 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

The lower bowl is the cash cow for the organization (maybe food & beverage as well actually - huge mark up) so the organization is not likely going to change that. What the organization should do and probably can do is dedicate a section to passionate fans ie. the Molson section or standing room at the Zamboni entrance, like what they do for Whitecaps games. They're in the far corner in the rain, they occupy a whole section and are largely responsible for all the chants and "noise" at games, and it can be quite entertaining and funny. They even have their own title "Southsiders". Looks like they have their own website and membership program as well. Something like that could be interesting. With CDC members that could be in the thousands...talk about a cash cow.

Agree with this. Canucks should take a page out of the Whitecaps book. One section of true hardcore fans starting the chants would really change the atmosphere around the whole arena.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 22 January 2013 - 02:06 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#88 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Long time season ticket holder (92) and yes there is a difference from the days on Renfrew to today. I sit in the lower bowl and have noticed the following:

The choice of music is poor - a little more rock please

I HATE rock but it at a hockey game it's music to my ears

#89 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

My goodness, I went to the Oilers game on Sunday and it was so dead. The Oilers fans were louder than the Canucks fans, it was so embarrassing... a number of "Let's Go Oilers" chants went up, and there were only perhaps a few hundred Edmonton fans there, but they easily matched if not shouted over the halfhearted "Go Canucks Go" chants. I only get to go to one game per year, and I can't even stand up and cheer that much... if I do, everyone around me's just gonna stare, judging like "what?! standing up at a hockey game?! outrageous!!" I'm not a vocal or outgoing person, but give me a good hockey game and I'd be on my feet with the rest of the crowd. It has nothing to do with the music, its the culture of the upper class in this city, where its embarrassing to care about things...

abl8vt.jpg

#90 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 AM

Much like half the population of Vancouver, half the fans in attendance at any Canucks game are far more interested in what is happening on their iPhone, than what is going down on the ice.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.