Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 8 votes

Pull Luongo for the shootouts...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#91 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Pull Luongo with 1:30 to go in every period, he's going to let one in, and we have a better chance of scoring with the extra skater on the ice.

#92 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

You really want to put a cold goalie in net for the shootout, are you serious? I'm sure Schneider want to go in the shootout beeing cold risking a groin injury.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#93 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

As usual I'm not sure what's worse - the OP is trolling, or legitimately this stupid.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#94 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,406 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

You guys ALL seem to be forgetting that Luongo is a career LOSER in shootouts. And, not even close to 500. He's terrible. So, it doesn't matter if he stopped 2 of 3 tonight (the other goalie stopped 3 of 3). And, it doesn't matter if our shooters are sub-par (AV is picking guys like Edler to shoot in the top-3, not forwards who can score on breakaways). We are a top team, we are a top-scoring team, but we lose in shootouts - badly. And, it's (for the most part) because of the guy in net...

I like how you use the phrase "we". what do you mean "we"? I have yet to post anything positive about the Vancouver canucks.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck The Sig lord

ezgif-714024022.gif

#95 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Well this pretty thread topic pretty much sums up how it doesn't matter how well a goalie plays, people will find a way to make it his fault and find a reason to drive our goalies out of town.

Good luck Cory...I feel bad for what is eventually going to happen to you.

#96 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

So you have a goalie that had a great game last night, good job Lou, now you played great, but we are pulling you out for the shootout, cool?

You can't swtich goalies for shootout.

#97 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

You can't swtich goalies for shootout.

Do you mean you shouldn't?

Because you can. It has been done.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#98 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Do you mean you shouldn't?

Because you can. It has been done.

OK. You shouldn't. How would that effect a goaltenders confidence?

#99 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

OK. You shouldn't. How would that effect a goaltenders confidence?

I remember Edm doing it a couple of years ago or so. Worked the first time but not the next.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#100 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

... not a good idea to put in a cold goalie in net for a so since these breakaways can be costly on the body if not warmed up properly...

This game should have not gone to a SO as we did have a two goal lead which we blew once again... this is a coaching mistake along with a weak third period, again due to the coaching style... this dump and chase strategy just doesn't work not to mention we had our share of PP with no result...

Cant blame Lu for the so loss, sorry...
Posted Image

#101 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

He absolutely robbed kopitar n brown... Carter just pulled an amazing move.
2cz94w5.jpg<
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books.
THE CANUCKS ARE THE SINGLE, GREATEST SPORTS FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. GO CANUCKS GO

#102 cabinessence

cabinessence

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

The bottom line is he is paid that extra bit of money to make teh big save when the team can't keep up.
How many last minute goals has he given up?

Last season Luong was 46th in save percentage in the NHL in shootouts at .595. Unacceptable!!! This year so far he in in 13th out of 14 listed goalies with .400.

The stats don't lie.
Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#103 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

The bottom line is he is paid that extra bit of money to make teh big save when the team can't keep up.
How many last minute goals has he given up?

Last season Luong was 46th in save percentage in the NHL in shootouts at .595. Unacceptable!!! This year so far he in in 13th out of 14 listed goalies with .400.

The stats don't lie.

How was the Kings second goal remotely Luongos fault?

He couldn't see a goddamn thing. Some Canuck "fans" really piss me off, about 95% haven't played goalie so you don't have a ???? clue what you are talking about. You just think "well other people are bashing Luongo so it must be the cool thing to do".

Futhermore, Luongo had no goddamn chance on Carters shootout goal, we've seen it work for Burrows the last 5 years, and it doesn't really help when our shooters can't score a goal.

Edited by I R Baboon, 29 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#104 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

It wasn't Luo's fault for the loss...the team in front of him dont quite understand the concept of defense and the offensive players dont quite understand the theory of killer instinct when given the opportunity.

Luongo played a great and the game would've been a higher scoring game for the Kings if Luongo wasn't playing.

25gxmpw.png

#105 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

So it's Lu's fault that none of the Canucks can score a shootout goal?

How 'bout AV stop putting Edler in the shootout?

#106 guesswhere

guesswhere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Alright, so 2 cents then...

If ever there was a case for ad hominem, this may just be it. Setting aside for a moment the trollishness of the original assertion, there is the absolute obstinence shown by a constant refusal to acknowledge any of the numerous and substantial responses that well and truly obliterate the basic premise of the OP. Appealing to the authority of supposed past accomplishments as arm-chair GM just looks pathetic. The question in this case may be, are you smarter than a 5th grade debater? But really, attacking the OP seems to serve little or no further purpose here as the overwhelming general concensus in this case is quite clearly on the side of reality.

Just might add that even if OP showed a shred of humility and/or balance in this preposterous position, there is the inane timing of this thread that is pretty hard to miss.

Conclusion: Don't feed the troll.

Edited by guesswhere, 29 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#107 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

its so easy to blame the goalies in the shootouts, how about getting some better shooters instead of the crap we are using.Luongo went 5-8 last year in the shootout.Shooters scored 3 goals in 20 attempts last year.Get some better skaters instead of Burrows and Edler now this year we have Kassian....AV needs to put some other options out there.

Edited by Mclean1, 29 January 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#108 cabinessence

cabinessence

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

How was the Kings second goal remotely Luongos fault?

He couldn't see a goddamn thing. Some Canuck "fans" really piss me off, about 95% haven't played goalie so you don't have a ???? clue what you are talking about. You just think "well other people are bashing Luongo so it must be the cool thing to do".

Futhermore, Luongo had no goddamn chance on Carters shootout goal, we've seen it work for Burrows the last 5 years, and it doesn't really help when our
shooters can't score a goal.

Forgive me, but I fail to see how any of your response relates to my comments. I am glad you know me already and that I have never played goal (erroneous staement on your part). Could you please comment on his SO stats? There are plenty of excellent goalies who had excuses and won nothing.

Edited by cabinessence, 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#109 I R Baboon

I R Baboon

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Forgive me, but I fail to see how any of your response relates to my comments. I am glad you know me already and that I have never played goal (erroneous staement on your part). Could you please comment on his SO stats? There are plenty of excellent goalies who had excuses and won nothing.

Thats my bad, didnt mean to quote you, my statement was aimed at the OP.

#110 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

This thread is everything I hate about our fanbase, downright embarrassing. The Calgary flames haven't made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons, and I have yet to encounter any Kiprusoff bashing, why is that?? Take notes on how to be fans, and I absolutely HATE anything to do with Calgary.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#111 cabinessence

cabinessence

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thats my bad, didnt mean to quote you, my statement was aimed at the OP.

No problem, if it was a generalization, I quite agree with you.

#112 winter

winter

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

what were you thinking when you made this thread? wow

#113 Vertikal

Vertikal

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Lui played a fantastic game last night, looked focused battled hard and was positionally sound throughout the game. the shootout effort was one of his best and that carter move would have had Cory beat as well. Our shooters were terrible and the skaters D and forwards are to blame for the loss.
We'll always remember you Bobby Lu!

QUOTE (Spinnaker @ Sep 11 2008, 07:08 AM)
"Watching Burrows play is like watching Gladiator for the first time. It's kinda badass."

#114 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Luongo stopped the first two shots our team can't score anything for him maybe av should put in someone else for a change

Actually..he stopped one...the other shot missed !

#115 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

It not Luongos fault when AV tries to throw the game by picking the same lame shooters every ???? time for the past who knows how long.

Even after the shootout when Kassian won it for us, he was asked what took him so long to put Kassian in when he was having such a good game, and he just laughed and said he had to make it entertaining.

I hope the canucks miss the playoffs by a point or 2 and we see how much he laughs then.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#116 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

He played well in the shootout last night. The only goal on him was amazing...
Posted Image

#117 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

can a team even do that? and another thing, Luongo was probably the best Canuck on the ice last night, by no means does he deserve to take the blame for the loss

tumblr_lxk4f2YfMc1qaosmto1_400.gif

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.