Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Gillis is a "man of his word"

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Gillis is a "man of his word" (148 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the best GM that the Canucks have ever had

1. Voted Mike Gillis (71 votes [48.30%])

Percentage of vote: 48.30%

2. Dave Nonis (1 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

3. Brian Burke (34 votes [23.13%])

Percentage of vote: 23.13%

4. Pat Quinn (35 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

5. Jack Gordon (1 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

6. Harry Neal (2 votes [1.36%])

Percentage of vote: 1.36%

7. Jake Milford (3 votes [2.04%])

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

8. Phil Maloney (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Hal Laycoe (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Norman "Bud" Poile (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

POPULAR

Who is the best GM the Canucks have ever had??
-add your answer to the poll
-add your reasons why below

Gillis is a man of his word. The best GM Vancouver has ever had. I remember listening to his first interviews, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=235503

"I don't think this team is close at this particular point," he said. "I think there is a good foundation here.
-has kept the foundation and core together, not an easy task in a salary cap world. Sedins, Kesler, Bieska, Edler, Burrows, Hansen, Schneider are all canuck prospects that might just retire as canucks

"I'm hoping to bring a different perspective in terms of player relations," he said.
-one of the best locker-room/player facilities in all of North America
-annual team family road trips, team family private box, team Chefs and nutritionalist

"I'm hoping to bring different ideas to the draft table and to player development
-spent more money on scouting then any other team in the NHL
-found players like Tanev, Higgins and Lapierre

"I don't plan on targeting ex-clients," said Gillis. "I plan on targeting the best players available."
Went after Backes, Doan, Webber, Schultz, almost had them, atleast hes shown that he tried hard to get them, he's made the Canucks a world class organizational that players are interested and willing to come too, i.e. Sundin, Demitra,

"At the end of the day I am going to be evaluated on results," he said. "I feel acute pressure already to try and get this team to a point where it is competing for the Stanley Cup."
"If these get addressed well, this team won't be far off. A couple of very good decisions, or a couple of really bold decisions, might put this team in a position to win almost immediately."
- he has lived up to his word the Canucks are Stanley Cup favorites every year since Gillis came around

Dont get me wrong, Gillis hasn't been perfect. Hes made 2 detrimental mistakes, looking back in retrospect, the Ballard trade and releasing Willi Mitchell

#2 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,165 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

POPULAR

Brian Burke

He turned this team from bottom feeders to actual contenders. He made hockey exciting in Vancouver and increased attendance to respectable levels.

Gillis had a long way to go before he will be considered the best

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 01 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#3 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Brian Burke

He turned this team from bottom feeders to actual contenders. He made hockey exciting in Vancouver and increased attendance huge.

I agree, burke drafted most of the talent we see wearing the orca

Posted Image

#4 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Brian Burke

He turned this team from bottom feeders to actual contenders. He made hockey exciting in Vancouver and increased attendance huge.

actually Pat Quinn and the Bure, Linden era made the canucks 'exciting in Vancouver and increased attendance huge.' but Quinn couldn't maintain and ended up destroying what he created. Then Burke had the westcoast express but that imploded.

Neither one of these guys ever really made the canucks Stanley Cup favorites year in year out

#5 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,165 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

exactly. Gillis hasn't put his stamp on this franchise... yet. It is an inherited team for the most part.

#6 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I don't think MG has made any great moves. Burke got the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Nonis got us Luongo. These were big moves that changed this team for the better.

MG signed a few guys and re-signed. Going after and signing Hamhuis was nothing special because it was a no brainer and was the best d-man available at the time and had offers from many teams.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#7 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I agree but I think your forgetting how hard it is to resign players. Some would say its even harder because there not his picks and he wasn't part of their first contract
especially making players sign for less then market value. Sedins Kesler Burrows

#8 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Burke hands down, he made this franchise what it is today.

Hockey-Canada-Logo__2__large.png

#9 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

POPULAR

Quinn - he got us Bure, Linden...Kirk McLean...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#10 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

GM MG because he has consistently got our core players, and then some, to buy into our team and sign for much less than their market value--a rarity in this league. That alone IMO speaks volumes for how good he is.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#11 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't think MG has made any great moves. Burke got the Sedins, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Nonis got us Luongo. These were big moves that changed this team for the better.

MG signed a few guys and re-signed. Going after and signing Hamhuis was nothing special because it was a no brainer and was the best d-man available at the time and had offers from many teams.

exactly. Gillis hasn't put his stamp on this franchise... yet. It is an inherited team for the most part.

good ol Burke did alot of damage too
January 1999: Vancouver traded Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference and Canucks' 3rd round pick in 1999 or 2000 (2000, Robert Fried) to Florida for Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's 1st round pick in the 1999 or 2000 Draft (2000, Nathan Smith). in retrospect bure and hedican for Jovo

October 1999: (Detroit claimed Manny Legace off waivers from Vancouver.)

December 1999: Islanders traded Felix Potvin and 2nd and 3rd round (Thatcher Bell)picks in 2000 to Vancouver for Bill Muckalt, Kevin Weekes and Dave Scatchard.

February 2001: Tampa Bay traded Dan Cloutier to Vancouver for Adrian Aucoin and Vancouver's 2nd round pick in 2001.

May 2001: Florida traded Alex Auld to Vancouver for a 2001 draft pick and a 2002 3rd round pick

August 2003: Pittsburgh Penguins traded Johan Hedberg to the Vancouver Canucks for a 2nd round selection in 2004 (Alex Goligoski)

#12 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Burke "inherited" Naslund and Bertuzzi. Naslund was acquired by Quinn and Bertuzzi was acquired by Keenan.

Edited by Baggins, 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#13 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's easy to say GMMG did this and that whilst spending Aqulini's money.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#14 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Brian Burke/Nonis.

Got the Sedins, got burrows, got Kesler, got Edler, got Bieksa, got Hansen, Practically the core that led us to the Stanley Cup finals.
Posted Image

#15 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Brian Burke/Nonis.

Got the Sedins, got burrows, got Kesler, got Edler, got Bieksa, got Hansen, Practically the core that led us to the Stanley Cup finals.

MG locked them up for less than market value. If Burke were still here the culture of our franchise would be drastically different and those players would most likely not be signing for less, thus, we would have lost at least one, possibly more.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#16 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

Brian Burke/Nonis.

Gillis-Gilman

resigned under free agent value and kept together an "inherited" core of players resigned, the Sedins, resigned burrows, resigned Kesler, resigned Edler, resigned Bieksa, resigned Hansen, Practically the core that led us to the Stanley Cup finals.

#17 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

It's easy to say GMMG did this and that whilst spending Aqulini's money.

lol
the Aqulini's hired and resigned Gillis because they know he spends their money wisely.
I think people forget that this is his first time ever being a general manager of a sports team, he has zero experience as GM, and yet he won the GM of the year award and has maintained and built a Stanley cup contender

#18 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

And saying Gillis signed our guys below market value, I think that says more about our players than it does Gillis.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#19 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Gillis got us Hamhuis, Erhoff, lappy, Manny, higgins. signed Torres

Without those guys we do not go to the cup. Erhoff had a special season, was phenomenal against Chicago and Nashville until his shoulder got wrecked. Lappy was the quintessential 3rd line center. Torres took out seabrook and dislocated Thornton's shoulder.
Gillis resigned the sedins to bargain basement contracts

#20 CANUCK-EXPRESS

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Burke drafted the Sedins nuff said

#21 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

The Burke/Nonis era may have discovered some of our core players, they never had the ability to put the right pieces around them to become contenders. Consider such acquisitions like Smolinski, Isbister, Ritchie, Weinrich, Carney, etc to Gillis pickups like Higgins, Lapierre, Torres, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, that were all essential to the 2010-11 run.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#22 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I agree but I think your forgetting how hard it is to resign players. Some would say its even harder because there not his picks and he wasn't part of their first contract
especially making players sign for less then market value. Sedins Kesler Burrows

Very good point, the Sedins were on the verge of leaving Vancouver. Don't forget the latest signing, Edler!!!

Posted Image

#23 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I think it's hard to gage considering how different the era of each GM was.

Burke made the biggest trade in Canucks history when he moved in the draft to land both Sedins.

Gillis has done more for the culture and environment then any other GM.
This made it easy to resign the core.

They both deserve a lot of credit.

Edited by Noheart, 01 February 2013 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#24 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Burke gave away RJ umberger- for martin rucinsky, drafted nathan smith and thatcher bell in the first round. Nonis drafted patrick white.
Gillis traded white and rahimi for erhoff, huge steal, underrated trade.
1st round picks- hodgson, schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce all will make the NHL, not bad compared to some of the first round picks of Nonis and Burke.

#25 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Who is the best GM the Canucks have ever had??
-add your answer to the poll
-add your reasons why below

Gillis is a man of his word. The best GM Vancouver has ever had. I remember listening to his first interviews, http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=235503

"I don't think this team is close at this particular point," he said. "I think there is a good foundation here.
-has kept the foundation and core together, not an easy task in a salary cap world. Sedins, Kesler, Bieska, Edler, Burrows, Hansen, Schneider are all canuck prospects that might just retire as canucks

"I'm hoping to bring a different perspective in terms of player relations," he said.
-one of the best locker-room/player facilities in all of North America
-annual team family road trips, team family private box, team Chefs and nutritionalist

"I'm hoping to bring different ideas to the draft table and to player development
-spent more money on scouting then any other team in the NHL
-found players like Tanev, Higgins and Lapierre

"I don't plan on targeting ex-clients," said Gillis. "I plan on targeting the best players available."
Went after Backes, Doan, Webber, Schultz, almost had them, atleast hes shown that he tried hard to get them, he's made the Canucks a world class organizational that players are interested and willing to come too, i.e. Sundin, Demitra,

"At the end of the day I am going to be evaluated on results," he said. "I feel acute pressure already to try and get this team to a point where it is competing for the Stanley Cup."
"If these get addressed well, this team won't be far off. A couple of very good decisions, or a couple of really bold decisions, might put this team in a position to win almost immediately."
- he has lived up to his word the Canucks are Stanley Cup favorites every year since Gillis came around

Dont get me wrong, Gillis hasn't been perfect. Hes made 2 detrimental mistakes, looking back in retrospect, the Ballard trade and releasing Willi Mitchell

Well, at the end of the day, I'm going to have to say Pat Quinn.

Quinn emphasized character and work ethic, and under him, the team was widely respected and not just in Vancouver. They were personable guys there, from Linden to Courtnall - probably Bure was the only aloof personality and yet the best player. Quinn knew how to command loyalty and respect throughout the locker room, and providing a player was on good terms with him, he would stand up for them. As a result, the Canucks were a good family to be a part of, they enjoyed each others' company and went out to put everything on the ice.

For all the character he possessed, he failed on minor technical areas that would have put the team over the top. His scouting staff could have been better. One trade he did make that potentially cost them the Cup was dealing Doug Lidster to the Rangers the year before facing off against them. He also blundered with handling Petr Nedved, but at least by trading him, he garnered redemption.

Quinn wasn't the perfect GM. But he was a real family man. He got fired not for a lack of production, but because he couldn't get along with the new owner. His firing was what led to the collapse of a once-thriving home.

#26 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Ok, who's the wiseguy who voted for Neal.
Posted Image

#27 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,670 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'd say Gillis is at #2 for now. Quinn rebuilt the team from bottom up, Gillis already had a good base to work off of.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#28 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well, at the end of the day, I'm going to have to say Pat Quinn.

Quinn emphasized character and work ethic, and under him, the team was widely respected and not just in Vancouver. They were personable guys there, from Linden to Courtnall - probably Bure was the only aloof personality and yet the best player. Quinn knew how to command loyalty and respect throughout the locker room, and providing a player was on good terms with him, he would stand up for them. As a result, the Canucks were a good family to be a part of, they enjoyed each others' company and went out to put everything on the ice.

For all the character he possessed, he failed on minor technical areas that would have put the team over the top. His scouting staff could have been better. One trade he did make that potentially cost them the Cup was dealing Doug Lidster to the Rangers the year before facing off against them. He also blundered with handling Petr Nedved, but at least by trading him, he garnered redemption.

Quinn wasn't the perfect GM. But he was a real family man. He got fired not for a lack of production, but because he couldn't get along with the new owner. His firing was what led to the collapse of a once-thriving home.

He didn't actually trade Nedved, instead the Blues signed him to an offer sheet. As compensation, the Canuvks got Craig Janney. Janney refused to report to us, so we shipped him back to the Blues four days later for Jeff Brown, Nathen Lafeyette, and Brett Hedican. One of the best trades of all time for the Canucks.
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#29 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

gotta give it to Burke just because of the moves he made to get the Sedins, this team would be nothing without them

#30 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Ehrhoff was a major trade where we gave up nothing to acquire him. Ehrhoff was a huge key to us having the two of the best years in franchise history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.