Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Three-year-old passes Mensa test
Posted Image
Mikhail Ali is in the top 2% of the population for his age A three-year-old has become the youngest member of the high IQ group Mensa after taking a series of tests run by psychologists.
Mikhail Ali, from Bramley, Leeds was put through his paces by experts at the University of York.
Mensa spokeswoman Caroline Garbett said: "We have 25,500 members and fewer than 30 are under the age of 10."
Mikhail's mother Shamsun, 26, told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "We knew he was a gifted child."

Ms Garbett said the testing had been carried out independently by psychologists at the university as Mensa do not normally deal with youngsters below the age of 10.
Posted Image

Posted ImageEvery day he amazes us, but underneath it all he's still our little boy tooPosted Image

Proud mother Shamsun, quoted by paper. Mikhail undertook a series of tests involving maths, picture and logic puzzles and number sequences.
Mrs Ali added: "Every day he amazes us, but underneath it all he's still our little boy too.
"He still plays with his toys and demands food."
A spokeswoman for the university said they were trying to contact the member of staff who carried out the tests to verify claims that Mikhail has an IQ of 137, putting him in the top two per cent of the population.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#2 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

On the flip side, we have Honey Boo Boo.

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,125 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

And the Mensa puzzle books I used to do occasionally had incorrect answers in the answer keys. Go figure.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Its all about reading to your kids.

Posted Image

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

An IQ of 137 gets you into Mensa?
I always thought it was only for the exceptionally smart.
Posted Image

#6 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

An IQ of 137 gets you into Mensa?
I always thought it was only for the exceptionally smart.

Stanford-Binet Scale of Human Intelligence IQ Score Original Term Current Term 145 and over Genius 120–144 Exceptional 110–119 High Average 90–109 Average or Normal 80–89 Dull Dull Normal 70–79 Borderline Deficiency Mild disability 50–69 Moron Moderate disability 20–49 Imbecile Severe disability Below 20 Idiot
Profound disability

The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children uses the following category labels,[3] the scores are scaled with a standard deviation of 15.
Wechsler's classification IQ Range ("Deviation IQ") Intelligence Classification 130 and over Exceptional 120–129 Superior 110–119 High Average 90–109 Average 80–89 Low Average 70–79 Borderline Below 69 Extremely Low

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#7 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

he probably googled all the answers :bigblush:

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#8 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

And Sophia Grace and Rosie :picard:

Pretty impressive kid. At the same time though, I don't want my kids to be geniuses or super whiz kids. I want them to have a normal, fun childhood that isn't spent indoors doing homework all day. They should be outside playing and traveling and trying new things and learning street smarts. And if they choose careers in sports or the arts or something non-academic, I'd hope to be supportive of that. I don't want to be the parent that says "no you can only be a doctor or a lawyer".
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#9 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

LOL! With an IQ of 13.7!

:lol:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#10 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

Pretty impressive kid. At the same time though, I don't want my kids to be geniuses or super whiz kids. I want them to have a normal, fun childhood that isn't spent indoors doing homework all day. They should be outside playing and traveling and trying new things and learning street smarts. And if they choose careers in sports or the arts or something non-academic, I'd hope to be supportive of that. I don't want to be the parent that says "no you can only be a doctor or a lawyer".

According to
Jean Piaget 9 August 1896 – 16 September 1980) was a Swiss developmental psychologist and philosopher known for his epistemological studies with children. His theory of cognitive development and epistemological view are together called "genetic epistemology".
Piaget placed great importance on the education of children. As the Director of the International Bureau of Education, he declared in 1934 that "only education is capable of saving our societies from possible collapse, whether violent, or gradual."
Piaget created the International Center for Genetic Epistemology in Geneva in 1955 and directed it until his death in 1980.
According to Ernst von Glasersfeld, Jean Piaget is "the great pioneer of the constructivist theory of knowing."

we are building the "size" of our mind up until we are seven , and then those walls are set and we are only filling up what we have built.

The sociological model of development
Piaget first developed as a psychologist in the 1920s. He investigated the hidden side of children’s minds. Piaget proposed that children moved from a position of egocentrism to sociocentrism. For this explanation he combined the use of psychological and clinical methods to create what he called a semiclinical interview. He began the interview by asking children standardized questions and depending on how they answered, he would ask them a series of nonstandard questions. Piaget was looking for what he called "spontaneous conviction" so he often asked questions the children neither expected nor anticipated. In his studies, he noticed there was a gradual progression from intuitive to scientific and socially acceptable responses. Piaget theorized children did this because of the social interaction and the challenge to younger children’s ideas by the ideas of those children who were more advanced.
This work was used by Elton Mayo as the basis for the famous Hawthorne Experiments For Piaget, it also led to an honorary doctorate from Harvard in 1936.

The model of intellectual development
In this stage, Piaget believed that the process of thinking and the intellectual development could be regarded as an extension of the biological process of the evolutionary adaptation of the species, which has also two on-going processes: assimilation and accommodation. Assimilation is when a child responds to a new event in a way that is consistent with an existing schema Accommodation is when a child either modifies an existing schema or forms an entirely new schema to deal with a new object or event.
He argued infants were engaging in an act of assimilation when they sucked on everything in their reach. He claimed infants transform all objects into an object to be sucked. The children were assimilating the objects to conform to their own mental structures. Piaget then made the assumption that whenever one transforms the world to meet individual needs or conceptions, one is, in a way, assimilating it. Piaget also observed his children not only assimilating objects to fit their needs, but also modifying some of their mental structures to meet the demands of the environment. This is the second division of adaptation known as accommodation. To start out, the infants only engaged in primarily reflex actions such as sucking, but not long after, they would pick up actual objects and put them in their mouths. When they do this, they modify their reflex response to accommodate the external objects into reflex actions. Because the two are often in conflict, they provide the impetus for intellectual development. The constant need to balance the two triggers intellectual growth.
To test his theory, Piaget observed the habits in his own children

The elaboration of the logical model of intellectual development
In the model Piaget developed in stage three, he argued the idea that intelligence develops in a series of stages that are related to age and are progressive because one stage must be accomplished before the next can occur. For each stage of development the child forms a view of reality for that age period. At the next stage, the child must keep up with earlier level of mental abilities to reconstruct concepts. Piaget concluded intellectual development as an upward expanding spiral in which children must constantly reconstruct the ideas formed at earlier levels with new, higher order concepts acquired at the next level.

As with everything there should be a balance between the intellectual and the physical ,the social and teaching the child/person to be content with their own company ,opening every door we can , without pushing them through , and providing every experience we can give them.

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 05 February 2013 - 06:27 AM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#11 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

As hockeyville88 unknowingly chants down the early parts of my life...namely the antithesis of a "normal, fun childhood that isn't spent indoors doing homework all day. They should be outside playing and traveling and trying new things and learning street smarts" I learned how to read at the age of 18 months. My first novel was The Hobbit at age 4. I breezed through elementary, middle and the first three years of high school. Unforeseen events led to a nightmare senior year and I just became cynical, jaded, angry at school and the incompetence of the teachers I had in 12th grade. I begin to wonder if the time I spent enriching myself when I was younger, based solely on the notion I'm not exactly thrilled with where I am in my life right now, was nothing more than wasted potential. I did attend college for two years, but I was never able to adapt to a classroom setting. I finished my college online, but the potential was so much greater. I now suffer from PTSD because of past traumatic experiences and have to live on a disability check. My IQ at last test was 179, but I'm socially awkward and inept and cannot drive. I cannot help but wonder how different my life would be if I'd grown up with a "normal" childhood and schooling.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#12 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Good as place as any to post this.

Screw labels eh?
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#13 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

he probably googled all the answers :bigblush:

Haha but even if he had that would have been impressive. If Google had existed when I was 3 I doubt I would have been able to find the answers to all those questions.

#14 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

As hockeyville88 unknowingly chants down the early parts of my life...namely the antithesis of a "normal, fun childhood that isn't spent indoors doing homework all day. They should be outside playing and traveling and trying new things and learning street smarts" I learned how to read at the age of 18 months. My first novel was The Hobbit at age 4. I breezed through elementary, middle and the first three years of high school. Unforeseen events led to a nightmare senior year and I just became cynical, jaded, angry at school and the incompetence of the teachers I had in 12th grade. I begin to wonder if the time I spent enriching myself when I was younger, based solely on the notion I'm not exactly thrilled with where I am in my life right now, was nothing more than wasted potential. I did attend college for two years, but I was never able to adapt to a classroom setting. I finished my college online, but the potential was so much greater. I now suffer from PTSD because of past traumatic experiences and have to live on a disability check. My IQ at last test was 179, but I'm socially awkward and inept and cannot drive. I cannot help but wonder how different my life would be if I'd grown up with a "normal" childhood and schooling.

uh huh
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#15 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

uh huh

Well, I for one can corroborate that it is so as can several others here. Can you prove that it isn't?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#16 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Well, I for one can corroborate that it is so as can several others here. Can you prove that it isn't?

guys, just because you all went to geocities.com/bigplaya69/iqtest.html, doesn't mean that's actually your IQ

and BB, your word means just as much to me as his does

of course i can't prove anything, what a dumb, rhetorical question. but yeah, i'm skeptical enough to question how our humble hippie not only beats, but totally eclipses most of the greatest minds on the planet today
Posted Image

#17 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

"i'm smarter than stephen hawking, but i don't know how to use a comma"
Posted Image

#18 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Amen! :)

Balance, one needs balance in one's life and children even moreso! Kids need to be allowed to just be kids.

Even those 'big' ones who insist on eating the paste out of their glue sticks even upon attainment of 'adulthood'.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 02:05 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#19 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

I remember when I was about 7 my parents were told I would be better suited in being a part of "Gifted Programs" and taking special challenge courses. I had some attitude problems at school, and finally after about 2 years of spending every day in the principals office my grade 2 teacher realized that it was because I was finding the work to easy. I ended up taking some comprehensive IQ test and got a score of 156. The guy who gave the results to my parents suggested to them that they don't let me play sports as it would be too dangerous as I could get a head injury and squander my "gift".
Well they let me keep playing lacrosse and hockey, but at the same time kept an open mind to the gifted programs they suggested.
I remember one instance when I had to leave my lacrosse game early to go to some seminar for some program and I was pissed about it. We got there, and within about 15 minutes me and my parents left.
Compounded with the fact I wanted nothing to do with it, my parents were shocked at how practically every parent in there was pushing their kids to become what they wanted them to be, and were practically scoffing at them because they let me play organized sports.
It was along the lines of "Oh, we don't let Timmy play sports, it's a waste of his gift. He needs to be studying so he can get into this special program once he gets to Middle School".
After that my parents just asked me "Do you want to go to this program?" If I said yes (which was rare) I would go, and if I said no, then they didn't force me to go.

I played and loved lacrosse for another 6 years, took up rugby for a few years, and still play hockey.
I'm extremely grateful that my parents were willing to let me do what made me happy.

Edited by Jägermeister, 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Why am I not surprised you stuck your nose where it doesn't belong?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#21 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

First, the post was made early this morning..about 8am EST...and I've been up for four days studying for a Scrabble tournament, and just because you lambaste me for misusing a simple punctuation mark doesn't make what I have said any less true. Second...I really don't care what you think.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 05 February 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Posted Image

#22 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wait until he sees that Jager, with an IQ of 156 at the age of 7, used the wrong "too". (Used to instead of too. " I was finding the work to easy.")
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

uh huh

Play scrabble against him.
Posted Image

#24 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Play scrabble against him.

I'd mop the linoleum with his carcass in Scrabble.
Posted Image

#25 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

I'd mop the linoleum with his carcass in Scrabble.

Is that a marketable skill? :P
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Is that a marketable skill? :P

I've played competitively for four years now and maybe two to three tournaments a year on average...I've won right at $1,500 in tournaments to this point. As far as the "mopping the linoleum with his carcass" aspect, probably not a very marketable skill :P
Posted Image

#27 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

It was more of a sarcastic/rhetorical question... but...

So not exactly something you can make a living at?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

guys, just because you all went to geocities.com/bigplaya69/iqtest.html, doesn't mean that's actually your IQ

and BB, your word means just as much to me as his does

of course i can't prove anything, what a dumb, rhetorical question. but yeah, i'm skeptical enough to question how our humble hippie not only beats, but totally eclipses most of the greatest minds on the planet today

Stanford-Binet and the MENSA home test, which I passed, says otherwise. I will actually agree with you on something, however. The online tests are bunk. Every single one of them. I keep my brain sharp with Lumosity and logic problems, and those online tools are very useful, but I would never be foolish enough to take an online IQ test result with anything more than a grain of salt.
Posted Image

#29 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

It was more of a sarcastic/rhetorical question... but...

So not exactly something you can make a living at?

A passion...an avocation...but not a vocation. Correct.
Posted Image

#30 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

"First, the post was made early this morning..about 8am EST...and I've been up for four days studying for a Scrabble tournament, and just because you lambaste me for misusing a simple punctuation mark doesn't make what I have said any less true. Second...I really don't care what you think. "

The fact that you replied indicates that you do in fact care. Excuse me for commenting but I've had just enough physcology training to mess me up for life, and am unable to let somethings slide. :)

Edited by gurn, 05 February 2013 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.