Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Pope Benedict XVI to resign at the end of the month.

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#181 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Wow - there's a lot of people there!

Posted Image

CBC's Peter Mansbridge estimates one hundred thousand people have filled St. Peter's Square for the announcement of the new pope.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#182 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Posted Image

CBC's Peter Mansbridge estimates one hundred thousand people have filled St. Peter's Square for the announcement of the new pope.

Yeah - I'm watching the "live" feed on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...clave-live.html

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#183 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Vatican always reminds me of assassins creed. Ezio is gonna come kill the new Pope.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#184 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I wonder who they are going to name?

#185 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

lp
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#186 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Probably a Cardinal.

(NOTE - Sarcasm)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#187 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I don't know but I betcha they're Catholic.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#188 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

in unrelated news........ Columbia has declared war on argentina.

Posted Image

#189 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

The guy is 76. damn this might be a short reign.

Posted Image

#190 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

in unrelated news........ Columbia has declared war on argentina.

Kim Jong Un has been assassinated
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#191 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Jorge Mario Bergoglio is the new Pope. He's from Argentina.

Pope Francis I.

#192 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Posted Image The 77-year-old Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio isfrom Argentina was the runner-up to Benedict during the last conclave. He is well-known for his humility and espouses church teachings on homosexuality, abortion and contraception. He has no Vatican experience.

#193 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Makes sense that he's form Argentina.....since most people think that Lio Messi is God....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#194 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

On what issues, and in what way?

Someone who isn't completely against contraception. More tolerance on homosexuality. Someone who will address and tackle the abuse issues instead of completely avoiding them and continuing to cover them up.

Wishful thinking.

#195 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Makes sense that he's form Argentina.....since most people think that Lio Messi is God....

After his sparkling performance against AC Milan I don't think many would disagree with this assessment ;)
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#196 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

"Now let us begin this journey ... It's a journey of brotherhood and trust among us."
- Pope Francis

Posted Image

#197 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

It'll probably be a case of same crap, different pope.

After all, he's going to get to live a life of luxury like a celebrity while millions of his fellow Catholics struggle to put food on the table.

EDIT: Don't misconstrue this post as being anti-Catholic. I was raised one. I just don't agree with many of the church's principles or the way it is run. There are a lot of Catholics that do a lot of good out there, but the church as a whole is a mess.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 13 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#198 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

And a little wave from Pope Francis I

Posted Image

#199 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,663 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

After all, he's going to get to live a life of luxury like a celebrity while millions of his fellow Catholics struggle to put food on the table.

It's not like he's taking over for Hefner....he is 76....not really going to live a "life" of luxury...yes...he will get that now...but at what cost?
He no longer has a private life.
He has to live the rest of his life knowing there could be someone out there trying to assassinate him.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the "riches" of the Vatican should be used to help the poor...

Posted Image

#200 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

well. congratulations hermanos...

now if Argentinians pissed off England about Falklands, now it will be even worse...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#201 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

And the life of luxury is something I really don't understand. I'm a dyed in the wool agnostic...but I'm familiar with a lot of the different religious texts...and it just seems to me...that if the Jesus dude were around right now...the VATICAN would be the last place he'd be shacking up. He'd likely be in a barracks somewhere in the outskirts of Rome, feeding the hungry, cleansing the sick and sheltering the homeless. He wouldn't be living in a 110 acre palace surrounded by Guardsmen. I also seem to remember there being something against the rich man...something like "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom"...so...if the Pope lives in a palace and calls himself a messenger of god, while his son (granting that he existed and granting he was indeed the son of god) lived the most humble of lives...doesn't that seem just a tiny bit hypocritical?
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#202 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Pope Francis I is the first South American pope in the religion's history and the first Jesuit priest to become pope. (CBC News)

So Pope Frankie V. 1.0???

#203 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

don't really know much about the catholic church, but i do find the ceremonial nature of it all to be quite fascinating. the history on display is kind of awe-inspiring to me.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#204 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

the new pope seems like he's not crazy and seems progressive, but the whole pedophile thing that ish needs to stop

#205 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

don't really know much about the catholic church, but i do find the ceremonial nature of it all to be quite fascinating. the history on display is kind of awe-inspiring to me.

Give me the good old days when the Borgias ran things. Much more interesting.

#206 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

VIVA PAPA FRANCISCO UNO!

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#207 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

EDIT: Don't misconstrue this post as being anti-Catholic. I was raised one. I just don't agree with many of the church's principles or the way it is run. There are a lot of Catholics that do a lot of good out there, but the church as a whole is a mess.

Actually it's the complete opposite for this Pope.

He is renowned as having always eschewed any of the luxury and lifestyle. As the Cardinal of Argentina, he's famous for not wanting to get driven around in luxury cars. Rather he's always taken the bus and lived in a very modest apartment. In Buenos Aires it's been common knowledge for years that if you wanted a few minutes of the Cardinal's time, just hop on a city bus.

He's the first Jesuit Pope who's known as an evangelist and who's devoted his life to the poor and social justice. So strong is his conviction in social justice and reform that he's the first pope to ever take the name Francis.

The fact that Pope Francis has chosen a name that has not been used for before may signal that he wants to lead the church into a new chapter, or at least embrace a new tone. In Catholic tradition, St. Francis of Assisi is possibly the greatest patron Saint and who had a mystical vision of Jesus Christ who told him to rebuild his church.

In light of the scandals that have tarnished the Church, from its financial troubles to widespread allegations and cover-up of sex abuse, the name carries special significance and a strong message going forward.

Edited by MJDDawg, 13 March 2013 - 01:36 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#208 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

He is renowned as having always eschewed any of the luxury and lifestyle. As the Cardinal of Argentina, he's famous for not wanting to get driven around in luxury cars. Rather he's always taken the bus and lived in a very modest apartment. In Buenos Aires it's been common knowledge for years that if you wanted a few minutes of the Cardinal's time, just hop on a city bus.

He's the first Jesuit Pope who's known as an evangelist and who's devoted his life to the poor and social justice. So strong is his conviction in social justice and reform that he's the first pope to ever take the name Francis.

The fact that Pope Francis has chosen a name that has not been used for before may signal that he wants to lead the church into a new chapter, or at least embrace a new tone. In Catholic tradition, St. Francis of Assisi is possibly the greatest patron Saint and who had a mystical vision of Jesus Christ who told him to rebuild his church.

In light of the scandals that have tarnished the Church, from its financial troubles to widespread allegations and cover-up of sex abuse, the name carries special significance and a strong message going forward.

Im not a christian but I find theology fascinating. I did catch the significance of using the name Francis.

On the prophecy side Im glad he didnt take the name peter
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#209 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Well..that's a beautiful thought...with a lot of superstition...especially the whole "never been used before" thing...but you see this bolded part here..especially.the BLATANT cover-up and coddling of sex abuse....I'll believe this when I see it. The name is irrelevant...what matters is whether or not this new guy..even after living that kind of life in Argentina, continues to live that life now that he's Pope. My guess is no. He will likely just toe the line like the last one did and nothing will get done.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 13 March 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

#210 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,409 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

He's a Jesuit so he won't be anti-science, will believe in charity and humility, and will probably preach about doing good works.

On the flip side, he'll be strongly anti-abortion, anti-homosexuality, and will generally be regressive in most aspects of social policy. All in all, not the worst they could have done.

The biggest issue will be that he's already 76 and has one lung so it'll be a race to see who gets replaced first, him or Obama.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.