#61 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

He's now 2nd in the NHL in both GAA and SV%

Yep, I noticed that when I looked up the numbers.

#62 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

amazing effort put out there tonight by our secondary forwards. raymond, hansen especially looked dynamic. mason is really perfecting that reverse-solo-cycle he does along the blue line, just a thing of beauty!

another solid effort by a canucks goaltender, we make it pretty damn tough for teams to beat us with our play from the net out.

6 in a row, let's keep this ball rolling!

oh yea, screw you konopka!

#63 cupbearer

cupbearer

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

The unfortunate thing is, he won't be in contention for the Vezina unless he has a starter's workload this season, no matter how good his numbers are. Look at Brian Elliott last year. He didn't even get a sniff of the Vezina. You have to be the undisputed starter on your team and Luongo is not that.

The fact is, both Canucks goalies are Vezina calibre. Hopefully the team decides on one soon so whoever it is can compete for some hardware!

I don't really care about the Vezina. I like having 2 Vezina numbers goalies well rested and able to rotate in and out and put up wins. That leads to a better piece of hardware.

Edited by cupbearer, 12 February 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#64 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hopefully the team decides on one soon so whoever it is can compete for some hardware!

The only hardware that counts is the "Stanley Cup". :emot-parrot:

#65 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,880 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

<p>

<br />
amazing effort put out there tonight by our secondary forwards. raymond, hansen especially looked dynamic. mason is really perfecting that reverse-solo-cycle he does along the blue line, just a thing of beauty!<br />
<br />
another solid effort by a canucks goaltender, we make it pretty damn tough for teams to beat us with our play from the net out. <br />
<br />
6 in a row, let&#39;s keep this ball rolling!<br />
<br />
oh yea, screw you konopka!<br />

imagine when sedins are playing well, and kes and booth are back
Posted Image

#66 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

<p>

yeah, the cup isnt important either.

Umm, the Cup is what I was referring to when I said "that other trophy".

Whoosh.

#67 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

<p>

imagine when sedins are playing well, and kes and booth are back

it's an exciting prospect! especially if the secondary scoring contributions and stellar goalie play continues.

the sedins look like they're getting closer and closer to regaining their form. just need to find some finish around the net, but the cycle game and battles along the boards definitely looked improved tonight. i get this strange feeling that danny and hank are slowly gearing up to peak april-june :towel:

#68 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

POPULAR

BTW, how about a hand for Jannik Hansen? Always put out 100% and is rewarded.

#69 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,448 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

The unfortunate thing is, he won't be in contention for the Vezina unless he has a starter's workload this season, no matter how good his numbers are. Look at Brian Elliott last year. He didn't even get a sniff of the Vezina. You have to be the undisputed starter on your team and Luongo is not that.

The fact is, both Canucks goalies are Vezina calibre. Hopefully the team decides on one soon so whoever it is can compete for some hardware!

Nothing wrong with another Jennings!

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#70 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,446 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Good game overall but we should of lit up these guys, not scratched out a 2-1 win (even though it was my GTD prediction going in). Our offensive stars are looking woeful right now, but our depth guys are carrying this team as well as offence from the blueline.

The Sedins were at times good but still ways off. Their passes weren't clicking and couldn't finish any plays. I'm blaming Burrows on the finishing bit - he had some glorious chances set up by the Sedins but couldn't score. Seriously, Kassian belongs on this line. The Sedins got roughed up pretty bad in this one and Burrows, although he tries and has the right heart, just isn't big or imposing enough. The one time Daniel got hit in the back along the boards Kassian was on the ice and he basically started a 1 man scrum, grabbing anything he could. That big body is what the Sedins need, not just to defend them, but to score from in front of the net.

Kassian showed off his serious skill with that sick pass to Bieksa today as well. I'd wager to say he's not just the biggest on this team, but probably one of the most skilled, definately top-5. He has amazing hands and hockey IQ, which is why he belongs on the top line. Some great hits too from this guy, he should NOT be on our 3rd line. Kassian deserves top-6 minutes, he's simply been our best forward all season long.

Raymond obviously had a great game, defences are starting to be weary of his speed and show him some respect. He's got a similar effect to the Sedins - dragging opponents in and freeing up his linemates. This guy is really starting to flourish, and that was one sick play passing it to Ballard on the Hansen goal. As for Hansen, one of his best games. A forechecking force all game long and great goal, he was our best PKer too. Schroeder didn't have a great game but had some chances and helped start the Hansen goal by winning a puck battle along the boards.

I thought Higgins and Lapierre had great games, very involved and plenty of hits. Ebbett wasn't great, had 1 good shift all game but that was it really.

Our defence was great today, limited great scoring opportunities but really let go in the last half of the game. Great goal by Bieksa, he's really catching on now, and Edler was making solid passes all night long. Ballard had some nice plays too and Tanev was usual and solid. Now Garrison, another brutal game. His poor play along the boards on the PK lead to the Wild goal, he had time to rim it around the boards but instead held it, lost it and it ended up right in front. This guy missed a few passes too, missed a couple of shots and wasn't very physical, I fear he was a one-hit-wonder or worse, never was that great defensively. Garrison deserves to be this team's new whipping boy but I'll give him until the half-way mark before completely crucifying him.

Luongo was great. Kept this team in the game, when it really didn't deserve to win. 2 goals for and that man shots against in the last half of the game, this one could have gone either way but Luongo won a goalie duel. He was great when it counted most, big clutch saves late in the game to keep this team the lead, something it's been blowing a lot lately. Finally the Canucks learn to hold onto a lead as opposed to scoring and running away with one, or blowing it and winning past regulation. Solid win, he deserves the next start.
Posted Image

#71 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,875 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Luongo and Schneider continue to pass the net back and forth like a hot potato.

It's so nice to know that we have a great chance to win every night, even when the team isn't 100% on their game.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#72 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Next game against the Stars, the Canucks should go right back to Schneider. I have a feeling they only interrupted Schneider's 2 game streak of good play and put Luongo in tonight because of his amazing numbers against the Wild at home. They should have the same mindset with Schneider, who happens to have a career 4-1-0 record, 1.41 GAA and .960 Save% against the Dallas Stars.

#73 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,204 posts

I love the 18 man defence, everyone were in great position all night and the 3rd when the Wild made their push we didnt crumble.

We now have the fewest GGA in the leauge despite being blown out by Anaheim and Sharks. :)

#74 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Volpatti got just over 4 minutes all game?

#75 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Chippy, gritty win. On to the next one!
Posted Image

#76 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

6 in a row woot!!
Posted Image

#77 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,871 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Games against Minny are so boring that even Makaveli's highlight packages are under 4 minutes long ;)
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#78 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Any detail as to why Manny wasn't playing?

I only watched the 2nd period.

#79 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

We're 6-0-1 aginast the NW Div teams.
Keeping all those points.

That's why we don't get any respect for winning back to back President trophies, coz everyone says we win the regular season by collecting points from these weak divisional opponenets.....

#80 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

One other thing I wanted to talk about:

One player who is criminally underrated and under appreciated, not just in Vancouver but league wide, is Kevin Bieksa. Sure, every now and then we see Casual Kev and his lazy, sloppy play but nobody ever talks about how much he contributes to the offense. He's a legitimate 40 point defenseman, scoring wise, but he's also a fantastic skater who constantly skates effortlessly into the zone with the puck and creates chances. Look at how he scored his goal tonight: right in front of the net. Add in the toughness element and he's a very special kind of defenseman, which is why he's getting paid the money he is.

I feel like his bad games every so often only get talked about, yet nobody talks about the good side of Kevin Bieksa, which is actually the side we see most of the time. Nobody talks about the unique skillset he brings to the table. Is it only me that sees this rare kind of player who has some snarl, skates well, and creates offensive chances consistently?

#81 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,875 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

That's why we don't get any respect for winning back to back President trophies, coz everyone says we win the regular season by collecting points from these weak divisional opponenets.....

Except our record has been good against pretty much all the divisions in the West over the past couple seasons.

Look at pretty much any presidents trophy team and you'll see a weak division. I don't by that argument.

Just people trying to discredit how good this team has been.

Edited by DeNiro, 13 February 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#82 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Any detail as to why Manny wasn't playing?

I only watched the 2nd period.

The organization is being pretty tight lipped about the situation. On a side not bob mckenzie was speculating it could be an eye issue, but then again it is just his thoughts with no proof

#83 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Next game against the Stars, the Canucks should go right back to Schneider. I have a feeling they only interrupted Schneider's 2 game streak of good play and put Luongo in tonight because of his amazing numbers against the Wild at home. They should have the same mindset with Schneider, who happens to have a career 4-1-0 record, 1.41 GAA and .960 Save% against the Dallas Stars.

Yeah, Schneider seems to be a brick wall against Dallas.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#84 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

One other thing I wanted to talk about:

One player who is criminally underrated and under appreciated, not just in Vancouver but league wide, is Kevin Bieksa. Sure, every now and then we see Casual Kev and his lazy, sloppy play but nobody ever talks about how much he contributes to the offense. He's a legitimate 40 point defenseman, scoring wise, but he's also a fantastic skater who constantly skates effortlessly into the zone with the puck and creates chances. Look at how he scored his goal tonight: right in front of the net. Add in the toughness element and he's a very special kind of defenseman, which is why he's getting paid the money he is.

I feel like his bad games every so often only get talked about, yet nobody talks about the good side of Kevin Bieksa, which is actually the side we see most of the time. Nobody talks about the unique skillset he brings to the table. Is it only me that sees this rare kind of player who has some snarl, skates well, and creates offensive chances consistently?

My initial reflex thought on Bieksa's game tonight was that he was responsible for Setoguchi's PP goal by being so far out of position along the boards and not giving Garrison an outlet, negating the beauty of a goal he scored to give us the 1-0 lead. After reading your post, NuxFan, I would have to agree with you that Juice isn't given enough credit for all the good things he brings to the game. I'm as guilty as anyone for failing to give credit where credit is due.

How about that sweet set up by Kass on Juice's goal and Ballard on Hansen's goal? Not to mention the play Mase made to get the puck to Ballard.

When is Edler going to start playing better in our end of the ice? Other than the bonehead pass up the middle that got picked off, Ballard played another solid game...did you guys notice the flutter shot from Tanev in the third that somehow made it to the end boards? Where was the laser wrist shot that he used to score his first goal?

I caught a period and a half of the Lightning/Habs game...Salo looked his usual calm and smooth self...is it just me, but on TV, does Salo look bigger in a Lightning jersey than he did in a Canucks jersey?

Edited by disisdayear, 13 February 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#85 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

Congrats to Ballard on his first point of the season. That was a beauty pass.
Posted Image

#86 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Lineup when healthy:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Higgins Lapierre/Malhotra Weise/Volpatti

IM LIKING IT!

#87 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

2 points...nuff said

Posted Image

#88 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Good game, boring game.

I hate seeing those turds take cheap shots on the Sedins. Luongo and defense continue to be strong. Kass with a great pass tonight, and the Raymond-Schredder- Hansen line looked strong.

But I have a beef to pick w/ Ebbett on the PK. He's the worst PKer per icetime (forwards) on the Canucks - literally. Check Behind the Net. I don't get why he's used. I'd rather see Hank out there, or Higgins taking the draw - 'anyone' but Ebbett.

Sure hope Manny and his family are OK.

#89 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,135 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

Good game, boring game.

I hate seeing those turds take cheap shots on the Sedins. Luongo and defense continue to be strong. Kass with a great pass tonight, and the Raymond-Schredder- Hansen line looked strong.

But I have a beef to pick w/ Ebbett on the PK. He's the worst PKer per icetime (forwards) on the Canucks - literally. Check Behind the Net. I don't get why he's used. I'd rather see Hank out there, or Higgins taking the draw - 'anyone' but Ebbett.

Sure hope Manny and his family are OK.

Don't worry. Ebbett will be gone once Kesler comes back.
Posted Image

#90 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Anyone who makes that argument should state what team they are a fan of, then show me the Nux's record against them and their division. Nobody wins a President's Trophy purely on the play from 24 games. If that was possible then Edmonton and Toronto with their yearly strong starts/streaky play would win it. You don't win it without dominating the entire league. Just sour grapes from lesser teams and their fans and their media.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.