The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TSN] Evander Kane says criticism racially motivated

Noheart

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415919

Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane says in a soon-to-be published interview that part of the criticism he receives is racially motivated.

In a story set to be released in the Mar. 4 issue of The Hockey News, the 21-year-old said, "I think a good portion of (criticism) is because I'm black and I'm not afraid to say that."

Kane was criticized most famously for a Twitter photo of him in Las Vegas holding stacks of money to his ear like a telephone.

He acknowledged that not all of the criticism has racial tones.

"I don't feel like a victim and I don't want to be perceived as one," he said.

When contacted by CTV in Winnipeg, a Jets spokesperson only said that they are aware of the comments Kane made to The Hockey News.

Kane broke out last season with 30 goals for the Jets in his third NHL campaign. This year he has three goals and six assists in 12 games.

The more I hear of this guy, the less respect I have for him.

Just shut up and play hockey.

Unless your a black man playing hockey in Canada u should probably zip it.

This game is still extremely racist, as is our country at times, idlenomore haters exposed more of that.

Joel Ward and Wayne Simmonds both recently attacked.

i came across thousands of racist hockey fans on twitter during the Joel ward garbage.

it was a pleasure exposing some of them.

Kane might be an idiot though, i mean cmon son, your union is being attacked as being overpaid, you're locked out and you're posing w/ stacks of cash in Vegas ? Kane might just be a really stupid man.

yeah sorry it isnt racially motivated when you sit on a balcony with stacks of money and shave YMCMB into your head. (young money cash money billionaires). Also when its been said he is a total tool in winnipeg by multiple random sources(of course unconfirmed could be BS). A tool is a tool doesnt matter what colour you are sorry evander.

This is just strange... the kid grew up in North Vancouver, hardly the ghetto. If I remember correctly, from his draft year they showed his father as an accomplished businessman, yet his son has this bigger than life gangster attitude. I'm pretty sure there are black people in Winnipeg.

Bottom line is, act like a hockey player and people will treat you as such. Act like a gangster, using stacks of bills as a telephone, and you will be criticized.

It can't be because he's acting like a complete idiot. Noooo. It has to be racially motivated. LOL. Give me a break.

So I guess that because he's black, no one is allowed to criticize his actions at all? Getting YMCMB shaved into your head and getting pictures with stacks of money is apparently now something that you won't get criticized for unless you're black. You're a friggen role model for young children Kane. Of course your actions are going to be criticized.

On another note: This thread has the potential to start World War III.

That's not racism, I work with guys from Mississippi and Texas, those guys live racism

Canadians are the most ethnically tolerant people in the world.

He hates Evander Kane and if the only thing that defines Kane is his color then shame on him

This is just strange... the kid grew up in North Vancouver, hardly the ghetto. If I remember correctly, from his draft year they showed his father as an accomplished businessman, yet his son has this bigger than life gangster attitude. I'm pretty sure there are black people in Winnipeg.

Bottom line is, act like a hockey player and people will treat you as such. Act like a gangster, using stacks of bills as a telephone, and you will be criticized.

Archived