The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chevrolet SS Banned In Israel Because The "SS" Reminds Them Of The Nazis

Except SuperSport (SS) is not a model, it's an options package (much like the Honda EX/LX/DX/Si options packages) that's been offered by Chevy for over 50 years now, there are no "KKK" model cars nor KKK model packages around for blacks to avoid, so your analogy is applicable in the same sense of reality (or lack thereof) as SuperSport (SS) is relative to Schutzstaffel.

They're over 50 years late in their SS package outrage.

The stupidity of political correctness and embellished outrage related to it knows no limits.

Except SuperSport (SS) is not a model, it's an options package (much like the Honda EX/LX/DX/Si options packages) that's been offered by Chevy for over 50 years now, there are no "KKK" model cars nor KKK model packages around for blacks to avoid, so your analogy is applicable in the same sense of reality (or lack thereof) as SuperSport (SS) is relative to Schutzstaffel.

They're over 50 years late in their SS package outrage.

The stupidity of political correctness and embellished outrage related to it knows no limits.

This is certain Jewish lobby attempts to make white people (especially Germans) still feel guilty about the Holocaust and perpetually identify Jewish people (well over 90% of them who were not involved in/related to the Holocaust) as victims so as to give them special treatment indefinitely. No thanks. Grow a pair.

Well, for the most part, my post was made with tongue in cheek, but the underlying point was to show that there might be a certain symbolism to the letter that certain people find offensive.

I have not ever had to deal with anti-semetism personally, not am I black, so I can only imagine the sort of angst that abbreviations like "SS" and "KKK" might cause.

I definitely would not presume to judge or criticize...

Second thought here...I think I may be able to kind of understand a semblance of what they are saying. I spent about 8 months on the Big Island in Hawaii...where the WHITES are the ones discriminated against and have epithets hurled at them. I guess it could possibly be the same as like maybe a company creates a beach woody wagon and named it the "Haole" which is a dergatory term for whites in Hawaiian culture...I could understand the KKK thing when it comes to the African Americans...but SS is such a common abbreviation that I just can't see that Israel has a leg to stand on in this situation.

One of my sisters is half black so I've had to personally deal with actual racism against blacks, especially in her earlier years when her skin tone was at it's darkest.

Rest assured the "black" part of the family doesn't care about ambiguous acronyms especially when identifying their actual meaning is a simple google search away.

Obviously the simplicity of this is not enough for Jewish lobby groups but then again they don't get attention and thus don't get paid if they aren't finding something to be outraged about.

There is nothing silly about it from the perspective of Jewish people given the central role played in the Holocaust by the SS.

To be clear, it does not bother me personally but I can understand and appreciate the visceral reaction in Israel to those initials when used to market a vehicle.

This all reminds me of the reaction I had in elementary school when I drew a swaztika in art class on a buddha. I got yelled at by the teacher and sent to the principals' office.

But to me, the swaztika was a common symbol from my chinese heritage and was common on budhhist statues and imagery. I did not know at the time of the symbolic link to Nazi's, WW2, etc.

Needless to say, I wasn't going to push the envelope and keep using it. It is obvious to me that the reaction it invokes is very real.

Banning the sale is way over the top. They're being overly sensitive about this. They definitely have a right to be sensitive about the holocaust but this is taking it too far. I agree it's a stupid name for that market. They would figure it out soon enough when sales are zero.

Not the first time a car company has been foolish when naming a vehicle.

Marketers do a great job of convincing us to buy stuff (often stuff we don't need) - but through the annals of history they have occasionally gotten things wrong. This is a list of the most unfortunately funny car names.

Mazda LaPuta (in spanish: "the whore")

The car's name actually derivates from the book Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, but go explain this to spanish speakers. For them, it means "the whore".

Mitsubishi Pajero (in spanish: "wanker")

The Spanish version ended up as "Montero", but still many spanish-speaking customer do have a wanker. Talk about funny car names!

Nissan Moco (in spanish: "booger")

It was only marketed in Japan as such; otherwise it would have been a bad (nose) pick for spanish speakers.

Chevrolet Nova (in spanish: "It Doesn't Go")

General Motors had a very famous fiasco in trying to market the Nova car in Central and South America. "No va" in Spanish means, "It Doesn't Go".

Archived