The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Coyotes 4-2 Canucks

JE14

Feel bad for both goalies having to play behind this team's defense so far. Loss of Salo is ridiculously showing now with his stalwart defense. Edler looks like a trainwreck without Salo calming him down. This has to be a headache for Gillis. Schneider's first real shot at being a starter and he's just not looked anything like he did when he was a 'backup'. Gotta really wonder if you're rolling the dice or not. Then again, I thought that our cup window already closed even before last year when teams improved after our SCF run. Trade whichever goalie gets the best back then start gearing up for a rebuild potentially. This core just isn't going to get it done. I know it sounds crapty but if people want to win a cup any time soon you'll probably be best off trading off the core while they're still worth a big price. We need a second line bad, and our defense is just a joke. We have a bunch of average 2-4th guys.

Okay, here's my thoughts on this game. I never like losing, but this effort was extremely bogus. If I had the chance of playing in the NHL, I would give 110 percent every single shift. Coasting is inexcusable, you have to play every shift with maximal effort, anything less, and go have a seat at the end of the bench or find something else to do. So with that out of my system, here are my thoughts.

1. Defense has got to improve, immensely. The passing is poor, defensive and zone coverage is extremely poor. We are very spotty with the puck as well in the neutral zone,, so many bush-league giveaways that Bantam players make. I don't know if it's coaching or these players just aren't that good, I think it's the former. If I would give a grade to each defenseman in this game it would be Tanev C+, Edler F, Hamhuis D, Alberts C-, Garrison B-. Tanev is usually very solid, so he gets off the hook. Edler is alarmingly awful right now, I would get ticked at a midget player for making that mistake on that goal. What in the heck was he doing? I would have sat him on the end of the bench so fast his head would spin. Hamhuis has taken a huge step back this year, his play looks very un-Hamhuis like. He is flat out not performing and he's a liability defensively.

2. Ryan Kesler, stop thinking you're the greatest player in the league, play with your teammates, buckle down and get to work! This guy is playing like he thinks he's hall of fame bound at the end of his career. I like Ryan Kesler, but his effort out there was inexcusable tonight. You can't just bring it against the good teams Ryan! You're better than that. David Booth looked lost and ineffective throughout the whole game.

3. Give Chris Higgins more ice time. Every time I see him, he's giving it his all. Making things happen, the other players could learn a thing or two from him.

4. Schneider played okay, but he has to find a way to make that save on Phoenix's third goal. Things like that that makes me think he's not ready to be the number one guy, especially on this team's lack of patience with goalies. In a one goal game late in the third, you have to come up with that stop, no excuses.

5. Besides the Sedins, Burrows and Higgins, every single player needs to take a hard look in the mirror after that effort, that was inexcusable. Lazy, uninspired and completely bogus.

Perhaps a coaching change is in order. If things continue to go this way, fans who have been calling for it may get their wish. Francesco Acquilini has zero patience with underperformance.

With that said, there's lots of season left, but this team needs to wake up and take a look in the mirror, because this play is flat out not good enough, the NHL is too competitive and if they think they can play like this in the playoffs, a four game sweep will be in order. They can still turn this thing around. Go Canucks!

I think our team is one of the most mentally resilient and determined teams in the National Hockey League. Amidst of the trolls who tend to criticize than believe on Vancouver, the team is nevertheless trying to play hard for even a small handful, who believe no matter what happens to the Canucks.

Just think of our goaltenders, who receive even more pressure than do the players. I truly applaud them, and I believe next game, our Canucks will be able to pull off a sweet victory. GO CANUCKS GO! :towel:

Maybe this is the one-too-many beers talking right now but I feel like this is such a loser franchise. The Canucks have been in existance since 1970 with ZERO cups to show for all their time in the league. They just seem like they're in that group of teams with the Sharks and Capitals that will forever be losers.

I think our team is one of the most mentally resilient and determined teams in the National Hockey League. Amidst of the trolls who tend to criticize than believe on Vancouver, the team is nevertheless trying to play hard for even a small handful, who believe no matter what happens to the Canucks.

Just think of our goaltenders, who receive even more pressure than do the players. I truly applaud them, and I believe next game, our Canucks will be able to pull off a sweet victory. GO CANUCKS GO! :towel:

Feel bad for both goalies having to play behind this team's defense so far. Loss of Salo is ridiculously showing now with his stalwart defense. Edler looks like a trainwreck without Salo calming him down. This has to be a headache for Gillis. Schneider's first real shot at being a starter and he's just not looked anything like he did when he was a 'backup'. Gotta really wonder if you're rolling the dice or not. Then again, I thought that our cup window already closed even before last year when teams improved after our SCF run. Trade whichever goalie gets the best back then start gearing up for a rebuild potentially. This core just isn't going to get it done. I know it sounds crapty but if people want to win a cup any time soon you'll probably be best off trading off the core while they're still worth a big price. We need a second line bad, and our defense is just a joke. We have a bunch of average 2-4th guys.

First 2 goals were the result of the 4th line being on the ice at the wrong time. Coaching. They had one good shift. They couldn't win faceoff. Vermette was sensational, out classed the Canucks. Mason Raymond gave up possession of the puck way too much. Edler had trouble pinching and got beat on the outside a lot. Hamuis gave up the puck way too often in our own zone.

Pheonix did a great job of closing passing lanes and getting something in the way of the puck when it went to the net. Phoenix did a great job of pressuring the Canucks in their own zone and Alberts, Tanev and Hamuis had trouble moving the puck to break out.

The sumation is the Canucks got out played at home, just like they do every time they come home from a road trip and play their first game. Solution, tell the wives to hire a nanny for the hockey season, hubby doesn't have time to be soccer mom.

Archived