The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sick and tired of all that "bad/biased officiating" excuses

Guest Gorby

Everyone needs a scapegoat. Inconsistent officiating has been a problem for decades. Rise above it and win. Other teams do.

One ref: less calls will be made. This means calls that should be made aren't. Call that shouldn't be made aren't. This changes nothing.

Two refs with one official at center: The ref at center will not be able to see things with accuracy from such a distance. If the players have their backs to him it will be hard to see what happens in front of them.

Every single time Canucks lose a game, the most common "explanation" one can read on CDC is whining about how wrong (or biased) the officiating was or how bad calls occurred. Crap. We don't lose because of referees. If we lost, it was because the opponents outplayed us and scored more goals than we did. Referees are people, they do make mistakes. Bad calls are part of the game and they need to be handled and overcomed in the same way as opponent's forwards, defensemen and goalies. The players know it, the coaching staff knows it...only, who apparently doesn't, are crybabies from CDC.

Please, stop with that BS and act like men. No one likes a whiner.

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe.

The following Canucks TAKE significantly more penalties than they DRAW over 60 mins

(Taken/Drawn)

- Kevin Bieksa - 1.5/.9

- Max Lapierre - 1.4/.3

- Alex Burrows - 1.3/.7

- Jason Garrison - 1.1/0 (the 0 is really just an outlier over a short sample)

Players who draw significantly more penalties

David Booth - 3.3/0 (another outlier due to sample size)

Dale Weise - 1/2.1

Ryan Kesler - .6/1.9 (again, outlier, last year was 1/.6)

Daniel Sedin - .4/1.4

Alex Edler - .4/.9

Last year, Kesler and Alberts were the only regulars who took significantly more penalties than they drew.

A few opinions / points:

1 - Poor refs! Gotta be the hardest sport to ref, although football has more players involved at the same time, they have more refs to make the call.

2 - I think that its the NHL's policy to have close games, look back at all the make up calls, and for the most part when a team gets ahead by a goal, generally the team that trails gets a powerplay. I think the NHL does this to make the game more exciting for the fans.

3 - I think we need an eye in the sky to clean up the game or have the refs call absolutely everything, and not let certain calls go for the flow of the game. If everything gets called, players will clean up their game in time. (I know that was sort of tried by the league - but they stopped for some reason.)

One of the smartest thread creators on CDC. I wholeheartedly agree with him. You guys are a bunch of whiners. And reffing isn't easy, I would like to see some of you try it. A play can happen in one second. But you can't see everywhere in the game. Can you turn your head within the second? If you don't see the play, how can you call it?

Obviously, poor or biased officiating could influence the outcome of a game. But, before anyone convinces themselves that the refs are against Vancouver, just imagine, you are a ref, and you consistently give out biased and poor calls. How long are you going to last?

What could be a problem is players expecting a call to be made, and not following through with their play. A bit like a sprinter who think's they won their race and gets beaten because they committed the cardinal sin of letting up before the finish line.

I've seen that a lot with the Vancouver play over the years. A lot of their inconsistency comes from letting the other team off the hook. Thinking of it another way, in long distance running, if you are 10 seconds better than the next best person in the race, then make darn sure you win by 10, 11, 12 seconds, not 1. Give it everything. Vancouver has a wealth of talent. They just need to play with that killer instinct, maintain focus, and keep playing at full tilt until the refs make their calls.

I've watched a few non-Canuck games and noticed inconsistencies in what gets called a penalty and what doesn't so I agree with others that see this problem league wide. I am hoping that as the players get back into regular season form the refs will as well.

Archived