Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

Has Edler Given Up?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Edler Given Up? (163 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Edler given up?

1. Yes (27 votes [16.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.56%

2. Voted No (93 votes [57.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.06%

3. This is all he can bring to the team (43 votes [26.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

Either his confidence is shot to hell or he's injured. Hope it doesn't cost the Canucks more games.

#32 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Could it be the 'first year after signing a huge contract' syndrome?

#33 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Biggest factor gotta be coaching.
Not one of their top Dmen have shined.

#34 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

He just signed a 30 million dollar contract. Took his foot off the gas, doesn't have/need the hungry type of play.

#35 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

The way I see it most of our defense has not played up to snuff, so to call out Edler alone seems kinda unfair.

Having said that, yeah, he is having (aside from his points) one hell of a stinker year so far.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#36 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

So just because Edler has a few bad games we all start hating on him again. I think we need to calm down.

#37 CaptainKool

CaptainKool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's not about give up, it is about to wake up and focus.

#38 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

So just because Edler has a few bad games we all start hating on him again. I think we need to calm down.

Edler will be getting paid as an Elite defenseman next year. He's played sub par in 75% of our games this year. Last year it was every other game and all five playoff games he failed to show up. You don't see guys like Duncan Keith, pietrangelo, Yandle, Chara, Karlsson, or Dan Girardi take multiple nights off. It hasn't been just a few bad games. It's been about 15 games in this short season where Edler has looked lost.
jersey collection.jpg

#39 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

No he hasn't given up, but I DO feel he needs to have his a** sat for a few games as either a wake up call, or to heal up a bit if there is a nagging injury.

I would rather sit him for the above mentioned, as well give the other guys a chance to play. Once they get into stride it is a better evaluation of what we do have for depth, and may also make the forwards step it up a bit.
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#40 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

If he's nursing injury, then he needs to be pulled. He can't keep playing like this, does nothing but hurt the team.

#41 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

To answer the OP, NO.

Edler is struggling right now which is something we have seen throughout his career. He needs to play through it and gain back some confidence.

The reality is that some people thought he was going to be a Norris trophy defenseman. I for one, did not. I'm not surprised at his struggles or his inconsistency. He is still a pretty solid d-man when he is on his game. Hopefully he starts playing with some more confidence and picks up his physical game.
258bdr6.jpg

#42 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,969 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

He played his best when he was with Ehrhoff and Salo. Hasn't been the same. Mike gillis needs to reconize that some times, some players will play that much better with certain players. Such as Samuelson with Kesler and Edler with Ehrhoff. Can't believe we lost Ehrhoff.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#43 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Another overrated player. Not saying he's bad or anything.

He's only looked good beside Ehrhoff and Salo......kind of sad for our highest paid d-man, but that's Gillis's specialty, overpaying or getting overpaid players.

Not sure what's taking him so long to get a puck moving defenceman to play with him since that's the only way he plays well.

Gillis should go back to being an agent.

Edited by TheGame., 06 March 2013 - 11:58 AM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#44 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Another overrated player. Not saying he's bad or anything.

He's only looked good beside Ehrhoff and Salo......kind of sad for our highest paid d-man, but that's Gillis's specialty, overpaying or getting overpaid players.

Not sure what's taking him so long to get a puck moving defenceman to play with him since that's the only way he plays well.

Gillis should go back to being an agent.

I agree that Edler is overrated. He's not a bad player. Edler would have gotten more money on the open market, so Gillis had to overpay to keep him.
Posted Image

#45 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Rough patch, he seems to elevate his game in the playoffs. It's a messed up season and may be giving him problems if he stays healthy I'm happy

especially last year against the kings.......

#46 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

I agree that Edler is overrated. He's not a bad player. Edler would have gotten more money on the open market, so Gillis had to overpay to keep him.

Yeah, I think we should trade him and a goalie and try and get a real #1 d-man.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#47 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,973 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Edler has worked his A off to get to this level. A man like that doesn't just give up.
He deserves and has earned some patience from the coaching staff.
He sacrificed his back for god sake.
That could still be an issue, who knows.
You are all the same people that bashed Raymond too I bet.

Yes - and he came into this season just recovering, no camp, has had revolving partners all season, and shuffled back and forth from left to right side..
I think Tanev may just stick as his partner - very good pairing imo that complements Edler and allows him to play on the L side where he's comfortable.
Edler will be fine - if he remains healthy, he'll re-emerge as the legitimate top pairing guy he's become.

#48 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Edler was never meant to be an offensive-defenseman.

He's the perfect shutdown defenseman, but since the departure of Ehrhoff, we have to put him in an offensive role. Yeah, he gets points, but how many points can be actually get by himself without the Sedins? Guys like Campbell, Doughty, Lidstrom could all get points by themselves on the powerplay. They are the reason the powerplay runs, and without them it's terrible. Edler isn't that guy, Henrik's that guy. Edler will also never be able to quarterback a powerplay efficiently.

Said this a million times, letting Ehrhoff walk was the worst decision MG has ever made. Ehrhoff is exactly what this team needs in the backend right now. That guy understood how to get the puck on net, and he knew what he had to do to score and get points. Edler is simply a guy that relies on the Sedins, whereas Ehrhoff had a rocket and could QB his very own PP unit if he wanted to.

Torres walking was also silly.

Posted Image

#49 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Alexander Edler used to be a great defencemen with a lot of upside a few seasons ago but somewhere between then and now he has stopped improving. He's a below average skater, struggles with inconsistency and has poor coverage in the defensive zone. This much is not my opinion. This is obvious if you watch him throughout the game.

As parts of his offensive game improved over the last few years, those did not. How can such glaring weaknesses be ignored by him and the coaching staff? For a 1-2 defencemen on an elite team to have such problems is confusing and frustrating. He seems like he lacks focus and determination, sometimes even to the point of looking lost out there. I expect more from the soon to be highest paid defencemen on the team. If Edler is going to get 5 mill doesn't that mean Hamhuis deserves at least 6 since he is better at the position in almost every way?

Why haven't these parts of Edler's game improved? Does he not care that he is so easily exploited by other teams' forwards? A +/- of 0 when you lead the defence in points is concerning. I sure hope he turns it around. It's getting really hard to wear his jersey in public when there are fewer and fewer positives to say about him.

There's no way Edler would quit. He doesn't even look like he's quit. I think the whole team is in a slump. The timing is still off and their discipline when it comes to basics has been weak at times. That's the whole team with no one but the group as a whole to point any fingers at.

If this was a regular season we'd just be heading into Christmas. I don't think the Canucks are the only team in this boat.
I'm more troubled with how the group is playing rather than Edler. Edler will be fine. Who would you replace him with?

#50 TheInsideScoop

TheInsideScoop

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Edler is not playing that bad. He and Tanev look promising as a pair and will continue to gel. People around here are so knee-jerk.

#51 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

This is the first year off an injury, and surgery. Serious surgery.

It won't be until next year that he starts playing like he can again.

Same pattern with Raymond - first year back, you are a bit nervous about it, even if you try not to be. 2nd year back to normal.

So we play him and hope by the playoffs he is feeling normal, but probably won't happen until next year.

#52 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

To me he looks distracted , you never know what's going on in someones personal life.

#53 sandlakthehouse

sandlakthehouse

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't think Edler has given up. I just think he needs to focus more and cut down on the carelessness in his game. Fundamentals like crisp passing, clearing the zone, quick decision making etc all seem escape him at the worst times. I wonder if there's a lingering injury as well. He was the biggest part of the reason why we lost to LA last year in my opinion. If it is just a mental problem maybe a new coach would help him. Maybe he should sit for a game or two as well.

#54 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Ummm Edler has been playing some amazing hockey of late. He's making the Canucks look better than they are. And is a big reason why they have so many points right now.

#55 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

You go ask him.
I am about to give up on him though.

#56 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

I thought that last year during the first 3 quarters or so of the season he was playing the best hockey of his career. He was moving the puck well, winning puck battles, and was really sound positionally.

#57 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Given up? I've seen a lot of angles taken at trying to figure out what's up with Edler but.....given up?? Wow

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#58 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

5 million just doesn't buy you the stud D-man it used to.

#59 kassian's lost tooth

kassian's lost tooth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Turnovers, bad passes (that often put the recipient at risk of getting pasted), bobbling the puck at the blue line, wild shots and terrible all round hockey sense. I'm sure there must be something else going on.

#60 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hes having a bad season, maybe his back isnt the same as it used to be...he did have surgery on it recently...the only people who really know whats going on is him and the team...we shan't speculate.

I think you're onto something with your specualtion, ahf149...Edler is playing like he's still injured or in a lot of discomfort or pain...he just doesn't seem right. He looks like the weight of the world is on his back...he doesn't look happy.

But has Edler given up? What a ridiculous question to ask of any pro athlete.

Anyways, let's hope he can work through whatever is ailing him or affecting his play/decision making because a healthy and effective Edler is still a solid top four defenceman on any NHL roster. But the way he's performing now, he's a 5-6 depth defenceman with some upside potential.

Edited by disisdayear, 06 March 2013 - 10:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.