The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Your PP fix

Vicky

Another game, same result. They did try and switch it up at least once, sending Kass to the front and shooting from the point, but mostly same-old same-old. They were quicker getting it into the zone and seemed to have a greater sense of urgency tonight. Also carried the puck in more than I have seen in a long time. Some positives but still 0 for, what, 5? Again...

If you watch old 'tape' from a few years ago, they entered the zone and controlled the puck for lengthy periods - they would pass it around with speed and a sense of urgency towards actually putting it in the net.

Today, they are much too slow and predictable on their entry into the zone. Then they move the puck so slowly and predictably, the opposing team is pressuring and clearing it almost immediately.

Fix the lack of speed and urgency (which is a mental / effort level issue), and I think the PP issues largely take care of themselves.

The problem as I see it is the same as last year. They seem to play a read and react system. They are holding the puck too long and by the time they react the opposition has adjusted. Faster plays with better timing to the net is the obvious solution. Also, with one player always on the opposite side of the play, we never out-man anyone. They need to find better ways to use all 5 guys.

probably already mentioned a few times but...

sedin-sedin-kass

tanev-garrison

kassian in front of the net

tanev feeding garrison (since tanev never shoots)

strategy: down low play back to the points and then hammer them home. if not...just trade garrison

I think someone less bound to the trend of how this team works their powerplay would be best for the point. Most likely someone from off the team. Edler has become predictable and has done what he has always done and got the puck to the Sedins. Gary Valk is right about needing that lateral pass on the powerplay. Maybe try Ballard there? I personally think team needs some unpredictable play from someone new back on the blueline. I wonder if Dale Tallon would trade Campbell for Edler. Or maybe Mike Green from Washington. I don't care who, but some freelancing on the back end would be great! I am pretty sure Brian Campbell would have a field day on the back end, opening up room down low for the Sedins!!!!

Well it's very drastic and complicated but this is what ya have to do : Plant a huge @ssed man like Kassian or Sestito in front of the goalie, keep the puck in over the blue line and get blistering shots past the first defender and ON NET !.

Now i know it seems impossible and may take a few months to analyze and explain to the players, but i really think it will pay off ? :picard:

Archived