The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks hold first closed doors players only meeting, all agree something missing

CanucksLegacy

Not worried yet, this is the point of the season where the Nucks usually start separating from the rest of the pack. If they continue this uninspired play over the next 5-8 games though I will definitely start to worry.

I think the team is smart enough to realize they need to be better though. Remember 3 weeks ago when they had won 6 in a row? We just need to string together some wins and everything will be back on track again.

the sedin line is scoring regularly....burrows is taking a pounding as he screens the goalie.....

raymond has been a surprise as a center ice fill in...he has been driving to the net...

higgins and hansen are adequate third liners trying to be 2nd liners....

booth has been driving to the net but seems to have forgotten how to score....skating well.

schroeder and kassian have been inconsistent.

our goalies seem to be a bit snake bit at times....lots to do with team turn overs

our defense has suffered since the tandums have been split up.....hamhuis has struggled greatly as has edler, ballard and garrison...bieksa and hamhuis; tanev and ballard were both playing well....the problem came with edler and garrison together.

edler is not effective on the right side...nor is ballard and garrison.....bieksa and tanev have given us stable D on the right side...

tanev seems to make, ballard and garrison better but can't play with both.....

this team needs mostly a 3rd line center that can move up to 2nd line and not miss a beat....and another tanev or bieksa for defense. mostly they need to get the power play working....is newell brown the problem or is it personel?

i know enough about hockey to believe this team has good enough players to win their division...to win the cup, i'm not as sure..

gillis has said, he's trying to upgrade the team....i hope he can....until then, i'm going to stand behind this group and cheer them on. i'll leave the wanna be GM's, coaches and players to tear the team down.

lets see how we do tonight against a division rival, and then on tuesday against the worst team in the league, a team we lost to and only scored a goal

If we lose these next 2 games, I would think something should happen. I think we should win both of those games. We are a way better team than either of them we just need to somehow learn how to play like that again....

Still think a coaching change is the best solution. AV has been here a long time, its time for a change, where did i read that the last coach to win a cup while being his teams coach for more than 3 years was back to scotty bowman. Thus meaning change is good, to me atleast

After re-signing the core and a couple of home grown free agents who wanted to be here, this is essentially what MG has done...except that instead of big bodied players built for playoff hockey, he decided his money-ball stats would translate into finding 3rd and 4th liners who had scoring upside and skill. While this is never a bad idea, those lines have become a revolving door of players not quite good enough to provide offense on a consistent basis and not quite physical enough to inflict a physical price on the other team.

I greatly respect you and your opinion joe but honestly criticizing the team or expecting changes does not mean someone is less of a fan.

Of course they can win the weakest division in the NHL....and that false sense of security is the reason why bigger changes have not been made yet. I appreciate that making changes is not easy but other GM's seem to be able to make trades that include big contracts or underachieving players. Perhaps Gillis should lower his asking prices so that we get good help right now rather than wait to see if perfect help at the perfect prices becomes available.

The opportunity cost of this approach is missing out on good players, coaches, etc. that could help right now because you are waiting for something better or are expecting the same thing to suddenly work when it has not before. That is always a longshot.

I greatly respect you and your opinion joe but honestly criticizing the team or expecting changes does not mean someone is less of a fan.

Of course they can win the weakest division in the NHL....and that false sense of security is the reason why bigger changes have not been made yet. I appreciate that making changes is not easy but other GM's seem to be able to make trades that include big contracts or underachieving players. Perhaps Gillis should lower his asking prices so that we get good help right now rather than wait to see if perfect help at the perfect prices becomes available.

The opportunity cost of this approach is missing out on good players, coaches, etc. that could help right now because you are waiting for something better or are expecting the same thing to suddenly work when it has not before. That is always a longshot.

This is where people are guessing. How do you know what deals/ideas have been tossed around/put out there or missed out on? You/we don't. Remember, we're on the outside looking in and have no real idea of what goes down.

As well, people here have the luxury of "hindsight", which teams don't have when making deals.

This is where people are guessing. How do you know what deals/ideas have been tossed around/put out there or missed out on? You/we don't. Remember, we're on the outside looking in and have no real idea of what goes down.

As well, people here have the luxury of "hindsight", which teams don't have when making deals.

when i coached, if my team was struggling, and all teams do, i would have them concentrate on out hitting their opponents, this led to more drive, which led to more success....games where the canucks out hit the other team usually has them playing a more focussed game.....count the hits next game...

TAke Ehrhoff and Salo away from the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and you have a totally different hockey team.

Thats what the team is looking like right now in 2013. You took away the player that made the Sedins back to back Art Ross winners, followed by a lethal power play, and not really replace him with anyone.

I have never professed to know anything that goes on behind the scenes but there is also such a thing as observing and listening. When the GM constantly says this team is good the way it is and sort of proves that by not making any moves, and the players and coach keep saying they are playing well, there is obviously a bit of a false sense of security when most fans can see there are big issues with consistency and execution.

I get that you are the feel good person who believes everything is perfect with the Canucks - and I respect that is your right. Scolding me for not agreeing with you doesn't fly with me, mod or not. None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. I go by what I see in front of me though not by pretending to know anything I don't know.

1. So you're saying that "most fans" know more about the team than the people actually running it? That doesn't fly with me.

2. I am not a "feel good person who believes everything is perfect" - how can you also know all there is to know about me?

3. Where have I "scolded" you? I am a poster when I offer my opinion - which is just that. I certainly don't pretend to know everything...far from it. But my comments are directed to the fact that I trust those who do get paid to know. I tend to trust that they'll be best equipped to identify and address issues...moreso than the average person here.

Your last line just made my entire point...in that, we don't get to "see" (or know) everything. And the media driven and fan base stuff isn't always the right solution.

Anyhow, I respect a differing opinion than mine as there is no right/wrong...it is all just a matter of opinion. With that, leave the "mod" stuff out of this as it's completely irrelevant. :)

TAke Ehrhoff and Salo away from the 2011 Vancouver Canucks and you have a totally different hockey team.

Thats what the team is looking like right now in 2013. You took away the player that made the Sedins back to back Art Ross winners, followed by a lethal power play, and not really replace him with anyone.

Archived