Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Do we really want to be "buyers" at the deadline?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

With the trade deadline looming already (seems surreal it's almost here so fast) it's time for us to consider our options for this seasons frenzy. Last trade deadline day, MG made some bold moves acquiring pahlson (bust) & executed one of the most talked about trades in canucks history by trading hodgson for kassian.

Less than a month away and by looking at our teams recent performances & plummeting status in the standings makes me think: is it really worth trading picks/prospects to contend with the team we currently have? Is a quick fix at the cost of our future really the best course of action? And this is all assuming that the player we acquire even pans out here.

What I'm going to suggest here may sound preposterous to some but due give it some thought: if mediocre play continues, why not trade out underperforming players for some future assets? The prices at the deadline sky-rocket with average players like Mike Fisher going for first round picks to teams trying to go for the cup. Maybe this way we can hold open our window of opportunity open for just a little bit longer. If this season turns out looking like a wash, i say trade the underperformers and bring a fresh outlook to the locker room.

For those of you saying we should still be buyers.. what player or trade do you think we should attempt? Im not saying that our only option is to sell this year.. Im saying that it may be our best way forward for this season. Thoughts?

Edited by Canuckler87, 11 March 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#2 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Well, any time someone gets injured, it shows our current lack of depth. If you trade away the "underperformers" for "future assets" we are going to have even less...

This is supposed to be one of those remaining one or two "window years" and Sedin + Sedin+ Burrows + Injured Kesler + lots of plugs probably won't cut it.

That said, I don't know who I'd really go after at the deadline.

Maybe Iginla or Brenden Morrow.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#3 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Brendan morrow seems more plausible than iginla. I think he'd be a nice fit. Scoring & grit.. 2 things we lack right now

Edited by Canuckler87, 11 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#4 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Brendan morrow seems more plausible than iginla. I think he'd be a nice fit. Scoring & grit.. 2 things we lack right now

I work with his brother and he says us, Sharks, and Bruins, are where he is willing to go. He wants to win. Only problem is he is a LW. He actually came to my office today and said, "We might be cheering for the same team pretty soon."

But, regarding the OP I would agree. There are too many things wrong to try to fix at the deadline. We'd probably be better off building for next year. One of those things could include moving Ballard, and or Booth add the deadline as we need to shed salary. You never know, perhaps a crazy goalie trade will happen as well. I could see this with Schenieder more so than Lou. And that could be just to retool with a focus on next year as well. I would like to do that and try for Perry in the summer, but MG will never pay the price.

I think MG and AV will wait for Kesler to get back, see how Jensen does, and pick up a third line center at the dealine.

Edited by Dogbyte, 11 March 2013 - 03:42 PM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#5 TummyslideLu

TummyslideLu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Sell sell SELL!!! We need to start rebuilding this team ASAP with aging Sedins who don't show up when it matters leading the way. Not to mention a highly overrated and now often injured Kesler. Worst move the Canucks
Made was giving Edler the big extension before seeing how at least half of the season played out. He could have been packaged up with a goalie for greater return while other teams may have still thought he was a decent dman.

#6 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,254 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I would be fine with moving Louie for some good prospects, but if there were any way to pry Clarkson out of New Jersey, I think it would be worth a shot...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#7 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

We will be buyers for the next 2 to 3 years. If we do not win the Cup by then, we will be sellers and start rebuilding.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#8 ALTtimegreat

ALTtimegreat

Comets Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

No more just minor signings/trades this deadline. This is make or break for Gillis

Either go all in or get rid of the core for mutiple 1st rd picks this upcoming draft. Last chance for sedins at cup.

Nothing in between ie: 2nd rd/conf finals will be a major failure.

Edited by ALTtimegreat, 11 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#9 Ray Canuck

Ray Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Sell sell SELL!!! We need to start rebuilding this team ASAP with aging Sedins who don't show up when it matters leading the way. Not to mention a highly overrated and now often injured Kesler. Worst move the Canucks
Made was giving Edler the big extension before seeing how at least half of the season played out. He could have been packaged up with a goalie for greater return while other teams may have still thought he was a decent dman.

:picard:
Posted Image
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Mark Twain

#10 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

I would be fine with moving Louie for some good prospects, but if there were any way to pry Clarkson out of New Jersey, I think it would be worth a shot...

I agree about Clarkson, I am a huge fan of his game. So if we are sellers do we start moving some major pieces out or just the fodder?
Major pieces being:
-Sedins
-Kes
-Burrows
-Lou or Schnides
-Edler

Fodder
-Lappy
-Booth
-Raymond
-Alberts
-Edler (not a typo)

#11 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

We will be buyers for the next 2 to 3 years.

Yes. At least.

#12 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

I will consider this deadline a success if this team does not acquire any player over 26 and does not give up any draft picks in the first 2 rounds.

#13 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,254 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

I agree about Clarkson, I am a huge fan of his game. So if we are sellers do we start moving some major pieces out or just the fodder?
Major pieces being:
-Sedins
-Kes
-Burrows
-Lou or Schnides
-Edler

Fodder
-Lappy
-Booth
-Raymond
-Alberts
-Edler (not a typo)

I wouldn't move any of the main pieces at this point. If the season ends in disappointment again, then I would look at it, but not now.

It's fairly obvious that something needs to be done. Getting Juice and Kesler back will help, but I don't think the team can afford to count on that making the difference.

I was formerly okay with keeping both goalkeepers for the duration of the year, but if Luongo could land us someone like Clarkson who could help the top six, I think the time has come.

I would be okay with moving Edler only in a limited sense. It would have to return us a top-four caliber defender, preferably a right-handed shot, or a blue-chip prospect of the same description. Eddie is having a poor season so far, but I don't necessarily believe that his play right now is indicative of his ability. I believe that he'll eventually return to the form a=that garnered him his current contract.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#14 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Instead of rebuilding, why not just try for more of a retooling? Easier said than done but recognizing that the charade will be over soon and making some reasonable moves to avoid the dreaded rebuild mode is much more appealing to me. Like some moves similar to what Philly did. They traded Richards and Carter and barely missed a beat. Of course this would involve trading guys like Kesler, Edler, etc. I know this is likely too risky for most of the homers but you gotta take some chances to stay at the top. Right now, most fans are waiting for the curtain fall rather than having some optimism about the future. While we do have some nice players coming down the pipe, none of them seem like blue chip, top line scorers like the Sedins were pegged to be.

#15 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,215 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yes. There's still about a month and a half left before the playoffs, plenty of time to get our **** together. We need a playoff performer, a third line center and a RH defenseman

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#16 Ride the red Pony

Ride the red Pony

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Instead of rebuilding, why not just try for more of a retooling? Easier said than done but recognizing that the charade will be over soon and making some reasonable moves to avoid the dreaded rebuild mode is much more appealing to me. Like some moves similar to what Philly did. They traded Richards and Carter and barely missed a beat. Of course this would involve trading guys like Kesler, Edler, etc. I know this is likely too risky for most of the homers but you gotta take some chances to stay at the top. Right now, most fans are waiting for the curtain fall rather than having some optimism about the future. While we do have some nice players coming down the pipe, none of them seem like blue chip, top line scorers like the Sedins were pegged to be.

I have no problem at all moving either Kes or Edler, If O'reilly were available would you give Kes up for him?

#17 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I have no problem at all moving either Kes or Edler, If O'reilly were available would you give Kes up for him?

At this point maybe, but he can't be traded for a year I believe.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#18 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

We will be buyers for the next 2 to 3 years. If we do not win the Cup by then, we will be sellers and start rebuilding.

Buyers with what, CHIPS? Pun intended :)

Please help me (us) understand. We are nearly "cap-broke" (second lowest cap space in the league this year and next) and plagued with some contracts that nobody wants today, let alone starting next year when the salary cap shrinks.

Best we can hope for is unloading what we don't want for some good picks. For real talent, teams in much better financial shape will easily out-bid us. Be realistic, folks.

Edited by Socrates, 11 March 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#19 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by wendythirteenthrashers, 11 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#20 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

As you can see we'll need to be sellers before we can be buyers....we need to be traders

#21 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

We need to get a 3rd line center.

We don't need to throw away our best futures though. And we shouldn't.

zackass.png

#22 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Once everyone is fit I think we need 2 players, good ones.......a big gritty 2nd line D and a sniping centre OR winger who can chuck the mitts.

We are not in a place where we should trade, other than say Cory or Lu (I prefer to keep Lu) because nearly all our players are under performing. I would like to have got van Reimsdyk but I think that bus has left. Bobby Ryan/Clowe perhaps and Komisarek would see us fine for the journey imo.

I keep saying, it is MG's job to identify the players and then set about acquiring them. But we certainly need these two holes filled and quick imo. Many of us have been saying that for over a year now.
Kevin.jpg

#23 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

we need to be buyers, we have a solid team just need improvements in a couple areas, and try to move some bad contracts if possible

#24 TummyslideLu

TummyslideLu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

:picard:

So you have seen the twins perform when it really matters? You think Edler is a top notch Dman? You think our organization should continue rewarding players after one solid season?

#25 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I would be okay with moving Edler only in a limited sense. It would have to return us a top-four caliber defender, preferably a right-handed shot, or a blue-chip prospect of the same description. Eddie is having a poor season so far, but I don't necessarily believe that his play right now is indicative of his ability. I believe that he'll eventually return to the form a=that garnered him his current contract.

What "garnered" him his current contract was MG's decision to jump the gun for reasons I will never be able to understand. When I think that Edler's salary next year ($5M) goes head-to-head with what Hossa, Jeff Carter (both $5.3) and Bobby Ryan ($5.1M) are making, I get a terrible headache.

MG has a tough job, I know. Unfortunately, he has made several errors lately, between procrastinating and pulling the trigger on the wrong deals (e.g. Edler's). But the Canucks owners don't seem to either understand or care.

Edited by Socrates, 11 March 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#26 TummyslideLu

TummyslideLu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

What "garnered" him his current contract was MG's decision to jump the gun for reasons I will never be able to understand. When I think that Edler's salary next year ($5M) goes head-to-head with what Hossa, Jeff Carter (both $5.3) and Bobby Ryan ($5.1M) are making, I get a terrible headache.

MG has a tough job, I know. Unfortunately, he has made several errors lately, between procrastinating and pulling the trigger on the wrong deals (e.g. Edler's). But the Canucks owners don't seem to either understand or care.

Well said.

#27 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,254 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

What "garnered" him his current contract was MG's decision to jump the gun for reasons I will never be able to understand.  When I think that Edler's salary next year ($5M) goes head-to-head with what Hossa, Jeff Carter (both $5.3) and Bobby Ryan ($5.1M) are making, I get a terrible headache.  

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this.

It's easy to sit back and criticize Gillis' decision based on Edler's play so far this season, but unfortunately, he did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

The fact is, Edler finished last season tied for 6th in scoring amongst NHL defensemen. 5 million per is actually less than the going rate for guys in that class. In fact, the only player in the top 8 with a lower Cap hit than Edler is Alex Pietrangelo, but he won't be anywhere near that when his current deal runs out.

#28 papagrizz

papagrizz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

canucks have no cap left this season, and even bigger problems next year, we have to shed some of our pricy guys like booth, ballard, edler, lu

#29 michael_kha

michael_kha

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

IMO I think we should be a little of both. For once I would like to see MG gamble a little bit. For the last 2-3 years all he has been doing is making little tweaks here and there. I'm not counting the Cody H. trade as a gamble. Just like in any game there comes a point when you have a GAMBLE. It takes only one good BOLD move to make a good team GREAT.

I say enough tinkering around. Go after the big fishes and trade the little ones away. That's the only way to win. On a side note for the people who are so concerned about our future players; how about we win a cup first and then worry about that later? I would like to see the Canucks hoist up a cup before I die. I don't want to see President's Trophy winners year after year!

ps- MG needs to start micro managing AV. On some nights like tonight I wonder to myself what AV must be thinking to sub Barker for a presumably healthy Ballard. Wow!

Posted Image
Mike Kha

#30 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this.

It's easy to sit back and criticize Gillis' decision based on Edler's play so far this season, but unfortunately, he did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

The fact is, Edler finished last season tied for 6th in scoring amongst NHL defensemen. 5 million per is actually less than the going rate for guys in that class. In fact, the only player in the top 8 with a lower Cap hit than Edler is Alex Pietrangelo, but he won't be anywhere near that when his current deal runs out.

I respect your opinion. But you're wrong assuming that I am judging Edler based solely on this season - I have never liked him, since I have always observed his numerous frustratingly weak defensive plays. OK, I loved his hit on Doughty in the 2010 Playoffs, gotta' admit that :-)

Yes he sometimes scored quite a bit, but I would personally have settled for a less "cardiac player" than him (less scoring, but more solid defensively), for a smaller salary. Good luck moving him now, IMHO he is becoming less marketable every day.

Hope you're right, 'cause my scenario sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.