The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we really want to be "buyers" at the deadline?

With the trade deadline looming already (seems surreal it's almost here so fast) it's time for us to consider our options for this seasons frenzy. Last trade deadline day, MG made some bold moves acquiring pahlson (bust) & executed one of the most talked about trades in canucks history by trading hodgson for kassian.

Less than a month away and by looking at our teams recent performances & plummeting status in the standings makes me think: is it really worth trading picks/prospects to contend with the team we currently have? Is a quick fix at the cost of our future really the best course of action? And this is all assuming that the player we acquire even pans out here.

What I'm going to suggest here may sound preposterous to some but due give it some thought: if mediocre play continues, why not trade out underperforming players for some future assets? The prices at the deadline sky-rocket with average players like Mike Fisher going for first round picks to teams trying to go for the cup. Maybe this way we can hold open our window of opportunity open for just a little bit longer. If this season turns out looking like a wash, i say trade the underperformers and bring a fresh outlook to the locker room.

For those of you saying we should still be buyers.. what player or trade do you think we should attempt? Im not saying that our only option is to sell this year.. Im saying that it may be our best way forward for this season. Thoughts?

Well, any time someone gets injured, it shows our current lack of depth. If you trade away the "underperformers" for "future assets" we are going to have even less...

This is supposed to be one of those remaining one or two "window years" and Sedin + Sedin+ Burrows + Injured Kesler + lots of plugs probably won't cut it.

That said, I don't know who I'd really go after at the deadline.

Maybe Iginla or Brenden Morrow.

Sell sell SELL!!! We need to start rebuilding this team ASAP with aging Sedins who don't show up when it matters leading the way. Not to mention a highly overrated and now often injured Kesler. Worst move the Canucks

Made was giving Edler the big extension before seeing how at least half of the season played out. He could have been packaged up with a goalie for greater return while other teams may have still thought he was a decent dman.

Sell sell SELL!!! We need to start rebuilding this team ASAP with aging Sedins who don't show up when it matters leading the way. Not to mention a highly overrated and now often injured Kesler. Worst move the Canucks

Made was giving Edler the big extension before seeing how at least half of the season played out. He could have been packaged up with a goalie for greater return while other teams may have still thought he was a decent dman.

I agree about Clarkson, I am a huge fan of his game. So if we are sellers do we start moving some major pieces out or just the fodder?

Major pieces being:

-Sedins

-Kes

-Burrows

-Lou or Schnides

-Edler

Fodder

-Lappy

-Booth

-Raymond

-Alberts

-Edler (not a typo)

Instead of rebuilding, why not just try for more of a retooling? Easier said than done but recognizing that the charade will be over soon and making some reasonable moves to avoid the dreaded rebuild mode is much more appealing to me. Like some moves similar to what Philly did. They traded Richards and Carter and barely missed a beat. Of course this would involve trading guys like Kesler, Edler, etc. I know this is likely too risky for most of the homers but you gotta take some chances to stay at the top. Right now, most fans are waiting for the curtain fall rather than having some optimism about the future. While we do have some nice players coming down the pipe, none of them seem like blue chip, top line scorers like the Sedins were pegged to be.

Instead of rebuilding, why not just try for more of a retooling? Easier said than done but recognizing that the charade will be over soon and making some reasonable moves to avoid the dreaded rebuild mode is much more appealing to me. Like some moves similar to what Philly did. They traded Richards and Carter and barely missed a beat. Of course this would involve trading guys like Kesler, Edler, etc. I know this is likely too risky for most of the homers but you gotta take some chances to stay at the top. Right now, most fans are waiting for the curtain fall rather than having some optimism about the future. While we do have some nice players coming down the pipe, none of them seem like blue chip, top line scorers like the Sedins were pegged to be.

Archived