Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

POPULAR

humility and character of these guys.

I know we slag many of them off, some of us, who I am not one of, sometimes even dare to accuse them of not trying hard enough.

I listened to the front page interviews and couldn't fail to be impressed by how keen our players always seem to be to assume blame and responsibility and yet never seem to be comfortable in owning their successes.

It is on times like these I can see how easy it is for MG to find it hard to part with players on his staff. Players who we wantonly trade on a daily basis for goons, roulette spins and bags of pucks. I have probably been one of Gillis's harshest critics but I have to admit the calibre of individual on this team doesn't make the dirtier parts of his job any easier.

Similarly with AV. I am a fan but sometimes find his "tinkering" frustrating. But honestly, could anyone fail to marvel on how he has prepared and motivated this depleted and battered group of players to win these 3 games on the road.

I also see why he is not a "ranter and raver" type of coach. (although that has not been one of my own criticisms) It is because we support a group of players and he coaches a group of players who have their very own set of high standards.
It is obvious to anyone listening to any one of our players being interviewed that "they know the score." They know when they have let themselves and their fans down and they are always prepared to admit liability and try harder.

I am NOT saying the players or the coach or management are without fault but I am saying we are blessed with a team of strong characters who could never be accused of short changing the fans.

For months on here I and a few others spent a lot longer than was probably healthy defending players like Raymond, Ballard and Luongo. My reason for doing it was I don't believe we have ANY players at this Club who are not worthy of our support or our giving them time to regain their fitness and intensity back.

I didn't care if Ballard was making $4.2M and playing 3rd line. That wasn't his fault and listening to him to-night, all I could think was how lucky we are to have such a classy guy on our team.

I hope this is the beginning of something that will run and run, all the way to the playoffs and finals. I still don't believe we have enough in our team to go all the way but that is not their fault and I know these guys will give it everything to make our dream and their's come true.
Kevin.jpg

#2 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

The voice of reason

+1
Posted Image

#3 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

POPULAR

Well said, Bodee.

We know these guys are talented...it isn't a bunch of useless plugs. We know these guys have determination...they manage to win games they've been out of and play against the odds a great deal of the time (refs).

One of the reasons I don't slag on the team is because I understand that they're human beings and subject to being tired at times. Sick. Worn out - both physically and mentally. The reason I never lose faith is because of the fact that they are quality individuals and I've seen how, when things are clicking, they are the best in the league.

I actually have more faith this year because I've had a feeling that the peaks and valleys mean that some teams that started out like gangbusters will stumble a bit and that we, as slow starters out of the gate, will start firing on all cylinders at just the right time. And our core has become seasoned veterans who don't get too high or low (like the fans do).

People will jump in here and say we're still not playing good enough and won't beat other teams in the playoffs. I say how is that, if we squeak out wins against them now? New teams don't suit up for the playoffs, so why can't we beat them (again)? The best thing about this year is that they appear to have had enough with the BS after whistle stuff (again). When they're "engaged", they're better. There was a listless feel for awhile but they're back in with both feet now.

Raymond is incredible...I knew he'd find his game (again) and he's matured into a player with unbelievable speed who is a huge asset as the other parts of his game have developed. Burr does amazing work in front of the net and I said he'd find his scoring touch again. Bieska - well look what happens when he's back in the line up. Sedins...people are questioning their play and, obviously, other teams have figured out their game and they have to reinvent things a bit. But they're in there, being physical and just their very prescence on the ice commands attention from other teams...the scoring touch(es) will come in bunches (didn't mean that). Hansen- what's not to love?

The message is don't ever pack it in too early. People get called homers and cheerleaders when they hang in there but some need immediate and constant gratification. We see "OMG we won/lost" and reactions to every game like it's a make or break thing. Again, as an overall sports' fan, I've watched another of my teams, with high expectations placed upon them, lose the first 5/6 games in a season that's only 18 games long. People did nothing but give up and turn on them, but they came back to win the cup that year. So patience is sometimes required.

The long term fan of this team knows that what we're seeing now is some of the best hockey we'll ever see here. So enjoy it while we can.

Posted Image

#4 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:04 AM

POPULAR

Great post OP. i cant remember the last time we had a team full of players which put such attention into community service either. Too bad the National media doesn't give them credit, and instead choose to constantly vilify them (case in point the Stanley Cup Finals).

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

POPULAR

Nothing like a four game winning street against improbable odds to lift folks spirits and see the "good" in this team. I hope it continues, as this is the kind of hockey that wins in the playoffs. Hard, gritty defensive play and capitalizing on their opportunities. The style of hockey that forces other teams to start to take chances. +1 to everyone this morning ... :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yupp, I agree, we need to start appreciating this team a lil' more and the product we get to enjoy...we could be like the Oilers and Flames...be grateful Nuck fans.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#7 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Yupp, I agree, we need to start appreciating this team a lil' more and the product we get to enjoy...we could be like the Oilers and Flames...be grateful Nuck fans.

yup, them dang oilers and flames,

with their cups :(

Posted Image

#8 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Lovin the positivity around here lately! The boys have been grinding these wins out, against all odds. Hope it can continue or CDC may implode once again.
Posted Image

#9 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Well said, Bodee.

We know these guys are talented...it isn't a bunch of useless plugs. We know these guys have determination...they manage to win games they've been out of and play against the odds a great deal of the time (refs).

One of the reasons I don't slag on the team is because I understand that they're human beings and subject to being tired at times. Sick. Worn out - both physically and mentally. The reason I never lose faith is because of the fact that they are quality individuals and I've seen how, when things are clicking, they are the best in the league.

I actually have more faith this year because I've had a feeling that the peaks and valleys mean that some teams that started out like gangbusters will stumble a bit and that we, as slow starters out of the gate, will start firing on all cylinders at just the right time. And our core has become seasoned veterans who don't get too high or low (like the fans do).

People will jump in here and say we're still not playing good enough and won't beat other teams in the playoffs. I say how is that, if we squeak out wins against them now? New teams don't suit up for the playoffs, so why can't we beat them (again)? The best thing about this year is that they appear to have had enough with the BS after whistle stuff (again). When they're "engaged", they're better. There was a listless feel for awhile but they're back in with both feet now.

Raymond is incredible...I knew he'd find his game (again) and he's matured into a player with unbelievable speed who is a huge asset as the other parts of his game have developed. Burr does amazing work in front of the net and I said he'd find his scoring touch again. Bieska - well look what happens when he's back in the line up. Sedins...people are questioning their play and, obviously, other teams have figured out their game and they have to reinvent things a bit. But they're in there, being physical and just their very prescence on the ice commands attention from other teams...the scoring touch(es) will come in bunches (didn't mean that). Hansen- what's not to love?

The message is don't ever pack it in too early. People get called homers and cheerleaders when they hang in there but some need immediate and constant gratification. We see "OMG we won/lost" and reactions to every game like it's a make or break thing. Again, as an overall sports' fan, I've watched another of my teams, with high expectations placed upon them, lose the first 5/6 games in a season that's only 18 games long. People did nothing but give up and turn on them, but they came back to win the cup that year. So patience is sometimes required.

The long term fan of this team knows that what we're seeing now is some of the best hockey we'll ever see here. So enjoy it while we can.

Thanks for the kick in the butt Deb! Sometimes I am guilty of being overly emotional. But I was thinking we always peak in March. Maybe this late start will have us peak in the real season. And just wait and see BOTH goalies will become very valuable in the playoffs!

#10 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well, the 1994 run was a mediocre regular season after two great ones...

That team had learned from its previous playoff difficulties...

Who knows...maybe this 2013 Canucks team is wiser...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#11 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

I think it is an experience like this team is living through now that will help them get over the Boston series. I'm sure many of our players, key players even, may have started to doubt the team's ability to overcome the adversity of injury. However this season has put the 2010-11 injury crisis into perspective.

Ok there are no broken backs, but the number of call offs and the amount of disruption combined with the compressed season has meant that normal recovery times have been irrelevant.

I know we are using guys who are maybe not what the team needs just now. Players like Gordon, Ebbett, Ballard (in attack) but these guys have shown strong character and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the cause, even in the knowledge that they may not figure in the playoffs when everyone is fit.

This injury wracked period will also have been an eye opener for many (including myself regarding one or two players) in showing just how well Garrison has stepped up, just how much this team relies on Bieksa to lead and supply energy, even when he does make mistakes and just how much Tanev, a rookie, has exemplified the term "when the going gets tough, the tough get going"

I am not sure we even realise how much of an Elite player Chris Tanev is on course to become. He is never phased (does he even possess a pulse? if he does it sits at about 25:) he is the epitome of "great players always look unhurried"

We have also discovered a line that in my opinion would be a 2nd line anywhere else in a year's time but will hopefully be our 3rd and our game breaker for years to come in Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen. If I was AV I would hone this line every day in practice and have them eat, sleep, and drink with each other off the ice. That way they will become almost like the Twins with Burr only at 3 times the speed.

Anyway I'm not getting carried away as I said above. There will likely be more failures and disappointments along the way before we stagger into the lower end of the playoffs. MG has it in his power to make what happens after that ..............something special, something memorable and something epic...........but will he?
Kevin.jpg

#12 Maniwaki Canuck

Maniwaki Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Great thread: there is indeed a lot of character on this team, and with some small exceptions, we play the game the right way. I particularly agree with the part that appears below. Things are going to look very different when Kesler comes back and we have two legitimate second lines. Speed still kills and contrary to popular belief, can still be effective in the playoffs too (see Chicago 2010, us prior to overwhelming injuries in 2011). Whether or not this group finally manages to climb to the top of the mountain, I'm glad we have stayed true to playing this kind of hockey.

We have also discovered a line that in my opinion would be a 2nd line anywhere else in a year's time but will hopefully be our 3rd and our game breaker for years to come in Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen. If I was AV I would hone this line every day in practice and have them eat, sleep, and drink with each other off the ice. That way they will become almost like the Twins with Burr only at 3 times the speed.

#13 spook007

spook007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

How wonderful to see some positive posts here.
It always seems to be 'the grass is always greener' brigade with eyes green with envy for anything that doesn't wear a canucks jersey, who posts here.
The reality is the canucks nation has been very fortunate over the last few seasons to have a team like this...
The players always conducts them selves with so much class. Always about the team, not individuals. Long may it last.

#14 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Finnally someone is making sense! Well said.
Posted Image

#15 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

humility and character of these guys.

I know we slag many of them off, some of us, who I am not one of, sometimes even dare to accuse them of not trying hard enough.

I listened to the front page interviews and couldn't fail to be impressed by how keen our players always seem to be to assume blame and responsibility and yet never seem to be comfortable in owning their successes.

It is on times like these I can see how easy it is for MG to find it hard to part with players on his staff. Players who we wantonly trade on a daily basis for goons, roulette spins and bags of pucks. I have probably been one of Gillis's harshest critics but I have to admit the calibre of individual on this team doesn't make the dirtier parts of his job any easier.

Similarly with AV. I am a fan but sometimes find his "tinkering" frustrating. But honestly, could anyone fail to marvel on how he has prepared and motivated this depleted and battered group of players to win these 3 games on the road.

I also see why he is not a "ranter and raver" type of coach. (although that has not been one of my own criticisms) It is because we support a group of players and he coaches a group of players who have their very own set of high standards.
It is obvious to anyone listening to any one of our players being interviewed that "they know the score." They know when they have let themselves and their fans down and they are always prepared to admit liability and try harder.

I am NOT saying the players or the coach or management are without fault but I am saying we are blessed with a team of strong characters who could never be accused of short changing the fans.

For months on here I and a few others spent a lot longer than was probably healthy defending players like Raymond, Ballard and Luongo. My reason for doing it was I don't believe we have ANY players at this Club who are not worthy of our support or our giving them time to regain their fitness and intensity back.

I didn't care if Ballard was making $4.2M and playing 3rd line. That wasn't his fault and listening to him to-night, all I could think was how lucky we are to have such a classy guy on our team.

I hope this is the beginning of something that will run and run, all the way to the playoffs and finals. I still don't believe we have enough in our team to go all the way but that is not their fault and I know these guys will give it everything to make our dream and their's come true.

All I can say is this; yes it is good that we have such character on the team. Character however does not win hockey games, skill does. This is a results oriented business and if you don't win nothing else much matters.

This is all well and good, we can hold hands around a fire and sing kumbaya and marvel in the Canucks' achievement on assembling a team with the most number of swell guys on the roster.

It's been rather prevalent that since the second half of last season, we have either lacked the skill, or have lacked the wherewithal to get the most out of the skill we do have. That being said there have been glaring holes on this roster for some time that have largely gone unanswered.

No matter how you boil it down, the puck stops at the management group to assemble to correct cast of characters (ie more skill) and at the coaching staff to properly utilize the players acquired, neither of which has happened during Gillis' tenure outside of some role players and veteran UFA signings.

Bottom line is Gillis needs to be better and needs to focus less on "character" and more on adding skill to the roster or this team will go nowhere fast.

#16 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

If you don't have strong character though skill buckles in the face of adversity.

I am not saying we are complete.......look above but we should be thankful for a set of guys who didn't blow up, got their heads down and worked their butts off to make up the shortfall we have been saddled with almost from the get-go.

These lads have "almost" got us there..........they need an influx of the cavalry now to complete the job and take us further. I agree we need some new faces. I have said it for a couple of years but that is up to Gillis.

The only thing AV and the boys can do is keep plugging away meantime.
Kevin.jpg

#17 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

If only the majority of CDC could see things objectively, and with a little positivity. Well said.

I honestly find that a lot of members take the whole "fanaticism" part of "fan" a bit too far, haha. Being able to cheer for a team doesn't necessarily need to go hand-in-hand with blind faith, and I'm glad that there are at least a few members on this board who can support this team while still being able to take a look at it all with an objective lens.

RIP LB RR PD

#18 canucktican

canucktican

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well said, Bodee.

Couldn't have said it better! This team is making mistakes now as opposed to in the playoffs. I have faith that they will adjust their mistakes and be ready as ever for the playoffs.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 26 March 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#19 spook007

spook007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

All I can say is this; yes it is good that we have such character on the team. Character however does not win hockey games, skill does. This is a results oriented business and if you don't win nothing else much matters.

This is all well and good, we can hold hands around a fire and sing kumbaya and marvel in the Canucks' achievement on assembling a team with the most number of swell guys on the roster.

It's been rather prevalent that since the second half of last season, we have either lacked the skill, or have lacked the wherewithal to get the most out of the skill we do have. That being said there have been glaring holes on this roster for some time that have largely gone unanswered.

No matter how you boil it down, the puck stops at the management group to assemble to correct cast of characters (ie more skill) and at the coaching staff to properly utilize the players acquired, neither of which has happened during Gillis' tenure outside of some role players and veteran UFA signings.

Bottom line is Gillis needs to be better and needs to focus less on "character" and more on adding skill to the roster or this team will go nowhere fast.

Don't agree entirely with you statement. Yes you need skill, of course, but if they don't have the right character, don't want them on this team. You don't win PT two years on the trot without skill?? And a lot of the skilled players, I guess you referring, have shown to be destroying the teams they are supposed to lead. I wouldn't mind an extra centre for second/third line as well as a winger for kessler when he gets back, but if we don't get that I won't burn my jersey for it. Its 100% correct its managements job to better the canucks. And Gilles has being trying to do so. Didn't see a lot of complaints when Ballard was brought to the club, or booth or Garrison etc. That it hasn't brought us the holy grail yet is just tough. Mean time I for one am happy with the character of the players, and for what they have achieved so far. Still hoping for more

#20 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Great post Bodee. I feel that even though this season has been a rollercoaster so far, it has allowed the team to build some real character.

Losing the lead on the Northwest division is, in my opinion, something the Canucks needed to have happen to them. In years previous, the Canucks would have a huge margin between themselves and the rest of the division. This made the team (AV included) take their foot of the proverbial accelerator and coast for awhile. Then they would have to manufacture intensity to deal with the heightened play from all the teams fighting for a spot in the last month and a half of the regular season.

The Canucks needed to be put back on their heels. They needed to fight for wins. And what they have done is dig deep to get these wins. They have shown an amazing depth of character that can only help them going forward. I can only hope that all of those who are injured can take something from this and when they do return to the line-up, complement it.

That really falls on AV's lap. I have been a vocal dissenter against AV for a while now, but do realize that he is taking something significant from this recent surge as well. I highly doubt anyone on this team is taking any game for granted now.

This to me is the most unified Canucks roster I have seen in a long time. Add Kesler at his best back into the mix, along with Kassian and Pinnizotto and I feel good about our chances.

That being said, I truly hope that Edler has taken something from his suspension. I hope he has had the chance to reflect and see what type of defense he needs to play from here on in. He needs to be the bull in a china shop. He needs to not be a defensive liabilty, especially considering how the team has really shored up much of their gaffes on the blueline. If Edler can do this, and bring back his physical side, we are only going to get stronger.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 26 March 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Posted Image

#21 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Don't agree entirely with you statement. Yes you need skill, of course, but if they don't have the right character, don't want them on this team. You don't win PT two years on the trot without skill?? And a lot of the skilled players, I guess you referring, have shown to be destroying the teams they are supposed to lead. I wouldn't mind an extra centre for second/third line as well as a winger for kessler when he gets back, but if we don't get that I won't burn my jersey for it. Its 100% correct its managements job to better the canucks. And Gilles has being trying to do so. Didn't see a lot of complaints when Ballard was brought to the club, or booth or Garrison etc. That it hasn't brought us the holy grail yet is just tough. Mean time I for one am happy with the character of the players, and for what they have achieved so far. Still hoping for more

What I'm alluding to in my post is that Gillis shouldn't sacrifice skill for the sake of character. It's obvious you need a balance, but with the character we do have in the core, I think that compromising character for skill might not be a bad thing; ie if a player wants to win badly enough they will get with the picture, that's the benefit of having a veteran team, it's their job to keep players in check.

And don't think that "lack of character" equates to belligerence, or cancer or anything else like that; what I'm referring to is there are plenty of skill players who lack the character to face adversity head on and deal with it and need the support of their teammates; that is exactly how this team has been built.

I think that a player like Gaborik fits that mold perfectly; tons of skill but not quite the character to be able to battle through adversity by himself. This year in New York seems to be a testament to that, that roster seems more like a grouping of individuals rather than a team.

I would say that between amnesty buyouts, cap dumps, and a goalie trade, we would be able to easily fit Gaborik under the salary cap next year and perhaps convince him to re-sign for a reasonable amount.

Even if Gaborik were not to pan out in terms of being a lights out offensive dynamo like he's capable of, he's a significant threat that balances the tables when it comes to how opposing teams dictate their defensive coverage; which is something that makes the rest of the team better including the Sedins.

New York has just shy of $54M committed to just 16 players next season and have 4 pending RFA's that are going to be expecting raises, not to mention they will likely want to bolster their defensive core and forward ranks, Gaborik by virtue of just a single year remaining @ 7.5M is their most expendable asset.

If I were Gillis, I would offer a package of Raymond, the Canucks 2014 1st round pick and this years 2nd round pick and a defensive prospect (Connauton/Corrado) for Gaborik + Boyle

Leverage Schneider, Ballard and this years 2nd for Boyes, Niederreiter, de Hann and their 2013 1st (drops to a 2nd if Boyes re-signs).

Injured Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik
Burrows - Schroeder - Boyes
Kassian - Boyle - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Alberts - Tanev

Luongo
Backup

Healthy Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik
Burrows - Kesler - Boyes
Kassian - Boyle - Schroeder
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

#22 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

What I'm alluding to in my post is that Gillis shouldn't sacrifice skill for the sake of character. It's obvious you need a balance, but with the character we do have in the core, I think that compromising character for skill might not be a bad thing; ie if a player wants to win badly enough they will get with the picture, that's the benefit of having a veteran team, it's their job to keep players in check.

And don't think that "lack of character" equates to belligerence, or cancer or anything else like that; what I'm referring to is there are plenty of skill players who lack the character to face adversity head on and deal with it and need the support of their teammates; that is exactly how this team has been built.

I think that a player like Gaborik fits that mold perfectly; tons of skill but not quite the character to be able to battle through adversity by himself. This year in New York seems to be a testament to that, that roster seems more like a grouping of individuals rather than a team.

I would say that between amnesty buyouts, cap dumps, and a goalie trade, we would be able to easily fit Gaborik under the salary cap next year and perhaps convince him to re-sign for a reasonable amount.

Even if Gaborik were not to pan out in terms of being a lights out offensive dynamo like he's capable of, he's a significant threat that balances the tables when it comes to how opposing teams dictate their defensive coverage; which is something that makes the rest of the team better including the Sedins.

New York has just shy of $54M committed to just 16 players next season and have 4 pending RFA's that are going to be expecting raises, not to mention they will likely want to bolster their defensive core and forward ranks, Gaborik by virtue of just a single year remaining @ 7.5M is their most expendable asset.

If I were Gillis, I would offer a package of Raymond, the Canucks 2014 1st round pick and this years 2nd round pick and a defensive prospect (Connauton/Corrado) for Gaborik + Boyle

Leverage Schneider, Ballard and this years 2nd for Boyes, Niederreiter, de Hann and their 2013 1st (drops to a 2nd if Boyes re-signs).

Injured Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik
Burrows - Schroeder - Boyes
Kassian - Boyle - Hansen
Higgins - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Alberts - Tanev

Luongo
Backup

Healthy Kesler:

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik
Burrows - Kesler - Boyes
Kassian - Boyle - Schroeder
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

With respect I think we want keep this thread positive.

It's a salutation to the guys who have been left to carry us in adversity, not yet another thread to discuss who should be traded, who isn't good/tough/skillful enough (in your opinion) to remain in the team.

There are plenty of threads like that and damn few about appreciating what we have. We can discuss all day and goodness knows I've spent enough time discussing how to try and improve the team.............but in the end Gillis will do what he wants. So in the meantime let's just appreciate the run we're on, the lads who have stepped up, and the ever increasing chance that we WILL make it to the playoffs thanks to their endeavours.
Kevin.jpg

#23 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

My other point of contention about having won the presidents trophy two years in a row is that in 2011-2012 we probably had the most ridiculous lineup of all time and we had the leagues best power play (or very very close, stats escape me at the moment).

Last years PT win was not so much having been better than all other teams but by virtue of ridiculously good goaltending the Canucks were able to coast through the second half of the season and were fortunate enough that other teams close to them in the standings did not have enough time to catch up to and over take the Canucks.

Our goaltending has been so good the past few years that it has masked the true holes of this team; that outside of the Sedins we have very little in the way of game breaking talent and skill able to generate significant offense in the face of opposing momentum.

#24 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I get what you're saying, but why would I, or anyone want to be thankful for a weak roster that has over achieved? With all of the injuries that we've suffered we should be fighting for a lottery pick, but again by virtue of the goaltending we have, we're able to eek out meager wins.

To be happy with that is to accept mediocrity, I want the best for the Canucks but in a league of skill, no amount of character can surmount the power of other teams ability to outgun us offensively.

#25 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Finally, someone who actually understands its not only about the money he's making, it's about his work ethic.
My dad keeps saying, it's not his fault that he's making 4.2M......IT WAS THE FRIGGIN' GILLIS' CHOICE!!!!!

And ya guys gotta respect that.

Ohh you guys keep saying why is he making so much cash when he hasn't scored yet and all that nonsense crap
But if you look on the bright side, he has adjusted from defense to forward pretty well...................
..............I bet none of our other defense could do that...... look at Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Alberts, and Barker
He has shown great skill and adjustment in the last few games and that is why AV has complimented him
It's not just a joke, he has played exceptionally well for a guys who just switched from D to LW..................
.......... You guys just think of it like back to the doghouse for you Bally
But no, it is not, it's just a new beginning for Ballard's career

Another step closer to becoming a great player.

I hope you guys understand how much Ballard means to this team. Thank you, Lappy40.

Edited by lappy40, 26 March 2013 - 04:08 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSFHL

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#26 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I get what you're saying, but why would I, or anyone want to be thankful for a weak roster that has over achieved? With all of the injuries that we've suffered we should be fighting for a lottery pick, but again by virtue of the goaltending we have, we're able to eek out meager wins.

To be happy with that is to accept mediocrity, I want the best for the Canucks but in a league of skill, no amount of character can surmount the power of other teams ability to outgun us offensively.

So then start your own thread on the topic instead of taking a proverbial dump on this one. Maybe?
Posted Image

#27 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Finally, someone who actually understands its not only about the money he's making, it's about his work ethic.
My dad keeps saying, it's not his fault that he's making 4.2M......IT WAS THE FRIGGIN' GILLIS' CHOICE!!!!!

And ya guys gotta respect that.

Ohh you guys keep saying why is he making so much cash when he hasn't scored yet and all that nonsense crap
But if you look on the bright side, he has adjusted from defense to forward pretty well...................
..............I bet none of our other defense could do that...... look at Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Alberts, and Barker
He has shown great skill and adjustment in the last few games and that is why AV has complimented him
It's not just a joke, he has played exceptionally well for a guys who just switched from D to LW..................
.......... You guys just think of it like back to the doghouse for you Bally
But no, it is not, it's just a new beginning for Ballard's career

Another step closer to becoming a great player.

I hope you guys understand how much Ballard means to this team. Thank you, Lappy40.

And Ballard is as tough as nails.

Just ask Joe Pavelski, Corey Perry, and others he has beaten down
Posted Image

#28 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

So then start your own thread on the topic instead of taking a proverbial dump on this one. Maybe?

That would fly in the face of what a discussion is, what's wrong with playing devil's advocate to a legitimate topic of conversation? If anything it promotes a healthy balance and objective outlook on this team we all love so much.

#29 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

That would fly in the face of what a discussion is, what's wrong with playing devil's advocate to a legitimate topic of conversation? If anything it promotes a healthy balance and objective outlook on this team we all love so much.

Fair enough, Shadowgoon. I have a feeling though that this was more of a positive, feel good thread. I would dare to say that 80% of the stuff on here is chalk full of devil's advocating. Bodee was impressed, as are many of us, by the play as of late.

Considering how this team, being a rag tag group, has taken on the healthy rosters of St. Louis and Los Angeles and won, it's something to be happy about.
Posted Image

#30 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I love this team and everyone on it. Even Edler who I have been pretty hard on this season. I am proud to be a Canuck fan because of what upstanding men they are in addition to the high level of skill on the ice.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.