The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You have got to love the......

Bodee

humility and character of these guys.

I know we slag many of them off, some of us, who I am not one of, sometimes even dare to accuse them of not trying hard enough.

I listened to the front page interviews and couldn't fail to be impressed by how keen our players always seem to be to assume blame and responsibility and yet never seem to be comfortable in owning their successes.

It is on times like these I can see how easy it is for MG to find it hard to part with players on his staff. Players who we wantonly trade on a daily basis for goons, roulette spins and bags of pucks. I have probably been one of Gillis's harshest critics but I have to admit the calibre of individual on this team doesn't make the dirtier parts of his job any easier.

Similarly with AV. I am a fan but sometimes find his "tinkering" frustrating. But honestly, could anyone fail to marvel on how he has prepared and motivated this depleted and battered group of players to win these 3 games on the road.

I also see why he is not a "ranter and raver" type of coach. (although that has not been one of my own criticisms) It is because we support a group of players and he coaches a group of players who have their very own set of high standards.

It is obvious to anyone listening to any one of our players being interviewed that "they know the score." They know when they have let themselves and their fans down and they are always prepared to admit liability and try harder.

I am NOT saying the players or the coach or management are without fault but I am saying we are blessed with a team of strong characters who could never be accused of short changing the fans.

For months on here I and a few others spent a lot longer than was probably healthy defending players like Raymond, Ballard and Luongo. My reason for doing it was I don't believe we have ANY players at this Club who are not worthy of our support or our giving them time to regain their fitness and intensity back.

I didn't care if Ballard was making $4.2M and playing 3rd line. That wasn't his fault and listening to him to-night, all I could think was how lucky we are to have such a classy guy on our team.

I hope this is the beginning of something that will run and run, all the way to the playoffs and finals. I still don't believe we have enough in our team to go all the way but that is not their fault and I know these guys will give it everything to make our dream and their's come true.

Well said, Bodee.

We know these guys are talented...it isn't a bunch of useless plugs. We know these guys have determination...they manage to win games they've been out of and play against the odds a great deal of the time (refs).

One of the reasons I don't slag on the team is because I understand that they're human beings and subject to being tired at times. Sick. Worn out - both physically and mentally. The reason I never lose faith is because of the fact that they are quality individuals and I've seen how, when things are clicking, they are the best in the league.

I actually have more faith this year because I've had a feeling that the peaks and valleys mean that some teams that started out like gangbusters will stumble a bit and that we, as slow starters out of the gate, will start firing on all cylinders at just the right time. And our core has become seasoned veterans who don't get too high or low (like the fans do).

People will jump in here and say we're still not playing good enough and won't beat other teams in the playoffs. I say how is that, if we squeak out wins against them now? New teams don't suit up for the playoffs, so why can't we beat them (again)? The best thing about this year is that they appear to have had enough with the BS after whistle stuff (again). When they're "engaged", they're better. There was a listless feel for awhile but they're back in with both feet now.

Raymond is incredible...I knew he'd find his game (again) and he's matured into a player with unbelievable speed who is a huge asset as the other parts of his game have developed. Burr does amazing work in front of the net and I said he'd find his scoring touch again. Bieska - well look what happens when he's back in the line up. Sedins...people are questioning their play and, obviously, other teams have figured out their game and they have to reinvent things a bit. But they're in there, being physical and just their very prescence on the ice commands attention from other teams...the scoring touch(es) will come in bunches (didn't mean that). Hansen- what's not to love?

The message is don't ever pack it in too early. People get called homers and cheerleaders when they hang in there but some need immediate and constant gratification. We see "OMG we won/lost" and reactions to every game like it's a make or break thing. Again, as an overall sports' fan, I've watched another of my teams, with high expectations placed upon them, lose the first 5/6 games in a season that's only 18 games long. People did nothing but give up and turn on them, but they came back to win the cup that year. So patience is sometimes required.

The long term fan of this team knows that what we're seeing now is some of the best hockey we'll ever see here. So enjoy it while we can.

Great post OP. i cant remember the last time we had a team full of players which put such attention into community service either. Too bad the National media doesn't give them credit, and instead choose to constantly vilify them (case in point the Stanley Cup Finals).

Nothing like a four game winning street against improbable odds to lift folks spirits and see the "good" in this team. I hope it continues, as this is the kind of hockey that wins in the playoffs. Hard, gritty defensive play and capitalizing on their opportunities. The style of hockey that forces other teams to start to take chances. +1 to everyone this morning ... :)

Well said, Bodee.

We know these guys are talented...it isn't a bunch of useless plugs. We know these guys have determination...they manage to win games they've been out of and play against the odds a great deal of the time (refs).

One of the reasons I don't slag on the team is because I understand that they're human beings and subject to being tired at times. Sick. Worn out - both physically and mentally. The reason I never lose faith is because of the fact that they are quality individuals and I've seen how, when things are clicking, they are the best in the league.

I actually have more faith this year because I've had a feeling that the peaks and valleys mean that some teams that started out like gangbusters will stumble a bit and that we, as slow starters out of the gate, will start firing on all cylinders at just the right time. And our core has become seasoned veterans who don't get too high or low (like the fans do).

People will jump in here and say we're still not playing good enough and won't beat other teams in the playoffs. I say how is that, if we squeak out wins against them now? New teams don't suit up for the playoffs, so why can't we beat them (again)? The best thing about this year is that they appear to have had enough with the BS after whistle stuff (again). When they're "engaged", they're better. There was a listless feel for awhile but they're back in with both feet now.

Raymond is incredible...I knew he'd find his game (again) and he's matured into a player with unbelievable speed who is a huge asset as the other parts of his game have developed. Burr does amazing work in front of the net and I said he'd find his scoring touch again. Bieska - well look what happens when he's back in the line up. Sedins...people are questioning their play and, obviously, other teams have figured out their game and they have to reinvent things a bit. But they're in there, being physical and just their very prescence on the ice commands attention from other teams...the scoring touch(es) will come in bunches (didn't mean that). Hansen- what's not to love?

The message is don't ever pack it in too early. People get called homers and cheerleaders when they hang in there but some need immediate and constant gratification. We see "OMG we won/lost" and reactions to every game like it's a make or break thing. Again, as an overall sports' fan, I've watched another of my teams, with high expectations placed upon them, lose the first 5/6 games in a season that's only 18 games long. People did nothing but give up and turn on them, but they came back to win the cup that year. So patience is sometimes required.

The long term fan of this team knows that what we're seeing now is some of the best hockey we'll ever see here. So enjoy it while we can.

I think it is an experience like this team is living through now that will help them get over the Boston series. I'm sure many of our players, key players even, may have started to doubt the team's ability to overcome the adversity of injury. However this season has put the 2010-11 injury crisis into perspective.

Ok there are no broken backs, but the number of call offs and the amount of disruption combined with the compressed season has meant that normal recovery times have been irrelevant.

I know we are using guys who are maybe not what the team needs just now. Players like Gordon, Ebbett, Ballard (in attack) but these guys have shown strong character and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the cause, even in the knowledge that they may not figure in the playoffs when everyone is fit.

This injury wracked period will also have been an eye opener for many (including myself regarding one or two players) in showing just how well Garrison has stepped up, just how much this team relies on Bieksa to lead and supply energy, even when he does make mistakes and just how much Tanev, a rookie, has exemplified the term "when the going gets tough, the tough get going"

I am not sure we even realise how much of an Elite player Chris Tanev is on course to become. He is never phased (does he even possess a pulse? if he does it sits at about 25:) he is the epitome of "great players always look unhurried"

We have also discovered a line that in my opinion would be a 2nd line anywhere else in a year's time but will hopefully be our 3rd and our game breaker for years to come in Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen. If I was AV I would hone this line every day in practice and have them eat, sleep, and drink with each other off the ice. That way they will become almost like the Twins with Burr only at 3 times the speed.

Anyway I'm not getting carried away as I said above. There will likely be more failures and disappointments along the way before we stagger into the lower end of the playoffs. MG has it in his power to make what happens after that ..............something special, something memorable and something epic...........but will he?

Great thread: there is indeed a lot of character on this team, and with some small exceptions, we play the game the right way. I particularly agree with the part that appears below. Things are going to look very different when Kesler comes back and we have two legitimate second lines. Speed still kills and contrary to popular belief, can still be effective in the playoffs too (see Chicago 2010, us prior to overwhelming injuries in 2011). Whether or not this group finally manages to climb to the top of the mountain, I'm glad we have stayed true to playing this kind of hockey.

We have also discovered a line that in my opinion would be a 2nd line anywhere else in a year's time but will hopefully be our 3rd and our game breaker for years to come in Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen. If I was AV I would hone this line every day in practice and have them eat, sleep, and drink with each other off the ice. That way they will become almost like the Twins with Burr only at 3 times the speed.

How wonderful to see some positive posts here.

It always seems to be 'the grass is always greener' brigade with eyes green with envy for anything that doesn't wear a canucks jersey, who posts here.

The reality is the canucks nation has been very fortunate over the last few seasons to have a team like this...

The players always conducts them selves with so much class. Always about the team, not individuals. Long may it last.

humility and character of these guys.

I know we slag many of them off, some of us, who I am not one of, sometimes even dare to accuse them of not trying hard enough.

I listened to the front page interviews and couldn't fail to be impressed by how keen our players always seem to be to assume blame and responsibility and yet never seem to be comfortable in owning their successes.

It is on times like these I can see how easy it is for MG to find it hard to part with players on his staff. Players who we wantonly trade on a daily basis for goons, roulette spins and bags of pucks. I have probably been one of Gillis's harshest critics but I have to admit the calibre of individual on this team doesn't make the dirtier parts of his job any easier.

Similarly with AV. I am a fan but sometimes find his "tinkering" frustrating. But honestly, could anyone fail to marvel on how he has prepared and motivated this depleted and battered group of players to win these 3 games on the road.

I also see why he is not a "ranter and raver" type of coach. (although that has not been one of my own criticisms) It is because we support a group of players and he coaches a group of players who have their very own set of high standards.

It is obvious to anyone listening to any one of our players being interviewed that "they know the score." They know when they have let themselves and their fans down and they are always prepared to admit liability and try harder.

I am NOT saying the players or the coach or management are without fault but I am saying we are blessed with a team of strong characters who could never be accused of short changing the fans.

For months on here I and a few others spent a lot longer than was probably healthy defending players like Raymond, Ballard and Luongo. My reason for doing it was I don't believe we have ANY players at this Club who are not worthy of our support or our giving them time to regain their fitness and intensity back.

I didn't care if Ballard was making $4.2M and playing 3rd line. That wasn't his fault and listening to him to-night, all I could think was how lucky we are to have such a classy guy on our team.

I hope this is the beginning of something that will run and run, all the way to the playoffs and finals. I still don't believe we have enough in our team to go all the way but that is not their fault and I know these guys will give it everything to make our dream and their's come true.

If you don't have strong character though skill buckles in the face of adversity.

I am not saying we are complete.......look above but we should be thankful for a set of guys who didn't blow up, got their heads down and worked their butts off to make up the shortfall we have been saddled with almost from the get-go.

These lads have "almost" got us there..........they need an influx of the cavalry now to complete the job and take us further. I agree we need some new faces. I have said it for a couple of years but that is up to Gillis.

The only thing AV and the boys can do is keep plugging away meantime.

If only the majority of CDC could see things objectively, and with a little positivity. Well said.

I honestly find that a lot of members take the whole "fanaticism" part of "fan" a bit too far, haha. Being able to cheer for a team doesn't necessarily need to go hand-in-hand with blind faith, and I'm glad that there are at least a few members on this board who can support this team while still being able to take a look at it all with an objective lens.

Well said, Bodee.

All I can say is this; yes it is good that we have such character on the team. Character however does not win hockey games, skill does. This is a results oriented business and if you don't win nothing else much matters.

This is all well and good, we can hold hands around a fire and sing kumbaya and marvel in the Canucks' achievement on assembling a team with the most number of swell guys on the roster.

It's been rather prevalent that since the second half of last season, we have either lacked the skill, or have lacked the wherewithal to get the most out of the skill we do have. That being said there have been glaring holes on this roster for some time that have largely gone unanswered.

No matter how you boil it down, the puck stops at the management group to assemble to correct cast of characters (ie more skill) and at the coaching staff to properly utilize the players acquired, neither of which has happened during Gillis' tenure outside of some role players and veteran UFA signings.

Bottom line is Gillis needs to be better and needs to focus less on "character" and more on adding skill to the roster or this team will go nowhere fast.

Great post Bodee. I feel that even though this season has been a rollercoaster so far, it has allowed the team to build some real character.

Losing the lead on the Northwest division is, in my opinion, something the Canucks needed to have happen to them. In years previous, the Canucks would have a huge margin between themselves and the rest of the division. This made the team (AV included) take their foot of the proverbial accelerator and coast for awhile. Then they would have to manufacture intensity to deal with the heightened play from all the teams fighting for a spot in the last month and a half of the regular season.

The Canucks needed to be put back on their heels. They needed to fight for wins. And what they have done is dig deep to get these wins. They have shown an amazing depth of character that can only help them going forward. I can only hope that all of those who are injured can take something from this and when they do return to the line-up, complement it.

That really falls on AV's lap. I have been a vocal dissenter against AV for a while now, but do realize that he is taking something significant from this recent surge as well. I highly doubt anyone on this team is taking any game for granted now.

This to me is the most unified Canucks roster I have seen in a long time. Add Kesler at his best back into the mix, along with Kassian and Pinnizotto and I feel good about our chances.

That being said, I truly hope that Edler has taken something from his suspension. I hope he has had the chance to reflect and see what type of defense he needs to play from here on in. He needs to be the bull in a china shop. He needs to not be a defensive liabilty, especially considering how the team has really shored up much of their gaffes on the blueline. If Edler can do this, and bring back his physical side, we are only going to get stronger.

Archived