The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Iginla to Pittsburgh

Tanev

Can see some comparisons with the Lu situation here. MG playing the waiting game on an asset that is only getting older. Gotta wonder how much longer he can afford to wait before he gets even less than what Feaster got for Iggy.

I like this trade better for CGY.

The Russian from Beantown may have skill, but he lacks size and TSN projected him to be a second liner -- for whatever that's worth. Bartkowski will be 25 in the summer, and has amassed a total of 11 games in the NHL. One will probably a depth NHL'er and the other may never be an NHL'er - certainly not a regular. On top of that, they may or may not have even received that first round pick since it there were conditions attached to it.

The trade with Pitts guarantees that first rounder. The Flames get two college players with about a point per game, or better. They're only 20 and 21 years old. Neither of them lack size. The only difference is they probably can't jump into the NHL right away.

But from a potential point of view, the deal with Pitts looks a lot better right now.

Iginla is being dissed for changing his mind after Feaster had accepted the Bruins offer .. Jarome said he would move to 4 teams then changes his mind after a deal-in-pronciple is in place, and makes Feaster look like the goof he is ..

Jarome does not have the class most folks here give him credit for .. cheer for Pitt all you want .. if Fleury plays like a D-bag again they will lose .. and I will be chortling my wee arse off ..

You Jarome fans should cheer for Doan to join him .. :towel:

Could argue the other way as well that teams would be more reluctant to take on Luongo's large contract that doesn't end anything in the near future. Also factor in Lu's NTC and his small list of teams he would be willing to move to.

Having stability in net for a long time is a good thing. Lu will most likely play until he's 40 at least. For a big market team like Toronto the amount of salary he has left is a non factor.

Lu's list is not a small one from the sounds of it. The more he sits as a backup, the more it sounds like he's willing to go almost anywhere.

That's the thing I don't get about this forum, people like BuretoMogilny and Understand preach about how much we need size and how important it is over and over again. Then they preach about how important it is for players to play big and gritty. Big and gritty is great in the bottom six, but when in the top six I'd personally rather have players who are good on the puck.

Size does help players be strong on the puck, but Sestito is 6'5" and couldn't take a regular role in the top six even if he wanted to. Guys like Burrows who are 6'1" are stronger on the puck than Sestito even though there's a 4 inch height difference.

I'd rather have a bunch of players in the 6'0"-6'2" range who are strong on the puck than a bunch of 6'5" 230 players who skate through sand and struggle to take a regular shift on the 4th line. Players who are 6'3"-6'5" and have skill don't just grow on trees, they're rare and pricy to come across. That's why a player like Kassian is able to catch a return like Hodgson through trade, they're hard to find.

I like this trade better for CGY. The Russian from Beantown may have skill, but he lacks size and TSN projected him to be a second liner -- for whatever that's worth. Bartkowski will be 25 in the summer, and has amassed a total of 11 games in the NHL. One will probably a depth NHL'er and the other may never be an NHL'er - certainly not a regular. On top of that, they may or may not have even received that first round pick since it there were conditions attached to it. The trade with Pitts guarantees that first rounder. The Flames get two college players with about a point per game, or better. They're only 20 and 21 years old. Neither of them lack size. The only difference is they probably can't jump into the NHL right away. But from a potential point of view, the deal with Pitts looks a lot better right now.

Well luckily I think the people who are looking to acquire Lu do, and that's all that matter.

Right now they're just trying to get him for as little as possible, because they think we're in a position of weakness. But I think there's at least one team that will finally cave and give us a good price to make sure they get him.

Archived