Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Is there a problem between management/coaching and players?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

*THIS IS NOT A LUONGO THREAD* It's more than just that.

Not long ago you can probably recall the AV & Kesler incident.
Ballard & AV another saga.
Mathieu Schneider incident.
Cody Hodgsons troubles with management.
And I'm sure theres many more we can come up with.

But today TSN aired a little Luongo bit. This is 100% word for word, yes including Luongo's "uhhhs"

Farhan
"It has also been reported that Luongo said no when asked go waive his NTC last summer to move to the Leafs, he says it never got to that point. While GM Mike Gillis may disagree.

Mike Gillis
"There have been discussions in the past yes"

Luongo
"I was never approached with a trade to somewhere else and I said no, so uh if that were to happen I would of said yes obviously, but right now uh, you know there was obviously some teams interested, and uh nothing ever materialized to the point where I had to give a decision wheater I was going to waive or not."

I dont think Luongo is lying here, he's said before that he wouldnt mind being in Toronto (or anywhere else) if he got traded there, and it seems like he's been 100% honest throughout this entire process.

Mike Gillis this past year has also said there is a potential deal in place for Luongo, which never turned into anything.

So if Gillis is lying here, what reason would he have? Trying to make himself look like he's been trying and make Luongo look bad or what? Because I certainly cannot understand this. IF Luongo had said he wont waive to go to Toronto, why would Gillis still be offering Toronto Luongo offers? I doubt Luongos changed his mind since the summer, he's always been open minded and willing.

I will be very happy the day this coaching staff and management staff are scraped. Thanks for nothing Gillis, go back to managing players contracts.

Thoughts?
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#2 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

POPULAR

I don't care right now. All this crap can be dealt with in the offseason.

I just want to watch some hockey without Luongo trade speculation surrounding every Canuck-related discussion.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#3 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Don't forget Samuelsson. He called out the management of the team.

There isn't a huge problem, otherwise guys like Clowe wouldn't be saying they'd like to play here. But there have been enough issues to cause concern.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#4 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Players like Hodgson who "have issues" simply because they don't get what they want does not indicate a problem. I suspect every team has the occasional conflict and frequent disagreements between players, management and coaches. I think that's just reality (do you love everyone at your work place?).

#5 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

The 'uh's are probably missing a few 'h's

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...a-bros-game-on/

#6 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Nope. There is not a problem. Players want to come here, and players want to stay.

Another CDC myth in the making. Whooo!

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#7 Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

I think it's what management demands from the players. Every where from the way you represent the team to on ice efforts. Luongo, coho, malhotra, Samuelson, been examples of weird moments. I don't think it's different than anywhere else.
"Victory!"

#8 Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Double post

Edited by Johnny_Drama, 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM.

"Victory!"

#9 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't care right now. All this crap can be dealt with in the offseason.

I just want to watch some hockey without Luongo trade speculation surrounding every Canuck-related discussion.

For you to say something that makes sense.... is very suspicious....

You're not the real Brad Marchand, are you! :mad:

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 03 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#10 Foo202

Foo202

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Gillis was probably lying to try and create a bigger market for Luongo than there actually was.

I dont agree that Gillis should be fired yet, yes a lot that has happened over the past 13 months (since trade deadline 2012) has raised concerns, but before you can really go and fire Gillis, you have to look at what he has done over his tenured as the GM. Most importantly, he has brought in a philosophy which both the Ownership and Players have bought into, shown by the funds ownership is providing for unproven treatments and the most of this core taking pay cuts to stay with this team which has resulted in the best time to be a Canucks fan.

#11 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

POPULAR

Gillis is arrogant, never liked him.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#12 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

POPULAR

Gillis is arrogant, never liked him.

We all miss the humble nature of Brian Burke.

#13 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Players like Hodgson who "have issues" simply because they don't get what they want does not indicate a problem. I suspect every team has the occasional conflict and frequent disagreements between players, management and coaches. I think that's just reality (do you love everyone at your work place?).

I think the Hodgson issue stems further back to the disagreement over his back and then a 3rd party doctor confirming there being issues , AV called Hodgson out and it blew up in his face
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#14 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,951 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I think the Hodgson issue stems further back to the disagreement over his back and then a 3rd party doctor confirming there being issues , AV called Hodgson out and it blew up in his face

AV is not a Dr. so I'm not surprised he confused the symptoms for laziness/embellishing, though I do disagree with him calling Hodgson out through the media that should have stayed behind closed doors. Calling a player out about laziness/injury in public is poor judgment.

Although it's not like Cody handled everything any better, with him and his dad trying to dictate his spot on the roster. I'll chalk that one up as 50/50 blame being given to Cody and AV.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#15 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, maybe I oversimplified, but we as fans don't really hear everything that goes on either. Something was "odd" with the whole injury process for Cody for sure.

#16 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:20 PM

POPULAR

Nope. There is not a problem. Players want to come here, and players want to stay.

Ladies and gentlemen, the authority on all things "mythical" on CDC, BB2.0
If you have any questions as to the credibility of any Canucks related theory, just hit up BB. He's got the straight dope.
-Is coaching a problem? Nope!
-Does MG ever say anything misleading? Nope!
-How about Lou? I've heard he's inconsistent in the playoffs. Hokum!
-What about the poor play? Another myth. Everything is fine. No problem here. These are not the droids you're looking for.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#17 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

It's more that every rumour or little story gets reported, blown up and made into an issue round here.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#18 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Gillis' words are very vague (possibly on purpose). He said "there were discussions" he didn't say that there was ever a trade in place and he specifically asked Luongo to waive his NTC, which is what Roberto seems to be talking about.

#19 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

There isn't a huge problem, otherwise guys like Clowe wouldn't be saying they'd like to play here. But there have been enough issues to cause concern.

Oh right Samuelsson. In the end, when given the chance, Clowe said no to Vancouver and went to NY. Ofcourse NY is a great city and all... but?

It's more that every rumour or little story gets reported, blown up and made into an issue round here.

Hardly a little thing, it seems to be a reoccuring issue with out management.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#20 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Luongo said he was never approached with a trade and he said no, Gillis` quote just said there have been discussions. Who said Luongo was approached with a trade to Toronto that he rejected? Because that is what he is denying. Maybe there were discussions and Luongo said he would like to go to Florida if possible. I dunno, I just dont find these statements that contradictory.

No videos in sig please. 

#21 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Many players are considered to have signed BELOW their market value. It suggests a tight team that wouldn't have issues. Now if most of these guys play up to their ability, we'll get rolling.

#22 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Clowe had his choice of Van and NY, he CHOSE New York
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#23 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Oh right Samuelsson. In the end, when given the chance, Clowe said no to Vancouver and went to NY. Ofcourse NY is a great city and all... but?

Was it actually Clowe choosing which team to go to? Or was it VAN and NY were the 2 teams he wanted to go to with SJ deciding NY since they're in the east?

Edit: Nevermind, cmpunk answered that for me.

Edited by BUREV, 03 April 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#24 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Clowe had his choice of Van and NY, he CHOSE New York

Ok thanks for clearing that up. Unless he thinks he has a better chance re-signing with them, then maybe there is something up with our team...

#25 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

we lost erhoff and he was huge for us going to the finals... again management ... i believe gillis will be fired and owners will see that all he is doing is playing it safe under the radar.... so agreed there is a management problem here... hiring bad gms and coach
Posted Image

#26 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Yeah just throw some crap at the wall and see what sticks, watch the meltdowns.

#27 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,682 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Gillis' words are very vague (possibly on purpose). He said "there were discussions" he didn't say that there was ever a trade in place and he specifically asked Luongo to waive his NTC, which is what Roberto seems to be talking about.

^ This.

People will read into the statements and try and make them mean something to fit their purpose, but this is most likely for all we know. Nothing scandalous, or speculative, just that Luongo and Gillis have discussed things and it never lead to him being asked to waive his NTC.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#28 Zuongo

Zuongo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

I think there has been some suspect moments.... Samuelsson was pretty unhappy with management.. maybe... hope not. dont wanna be the team no one likes to play for...

#29 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

And that's why we've missed out on Nash, Gaborik, Richards, Pominville, Torres, and recently Clowe, right?
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#30 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, maybe I oversimplified, but we as fans don't really hear everything that goes on either. Something was "odd" with the whole injury process for Cody for sure.

No, I definitely remembered that press conference when AV arrogantly stated that there were no more problems with Cody. He cited Cody as making an excuse for poor play.

Then Cody went to a third doctor and it revealed that his diagnosed injury with the Canucks was wrong. He got the treatment he needed but that was that.

Cody was humiliated in public by AV. Boneheaded move by a coach that doesn't know how to handle most rookies.

Grabner
Hodgson
Kassian (debatable)

Two players that upon exiting the Canucks team went on to have career years. Kassian was on pace to have a career year with the Sedins and then when he was inexplicably thrown into the third or fourth line, he hasn't succeeded. He was also never placed back with the Sedins too.

It's not a Cam Neely situation at all. It's more of the fact that AV has rarely allowed the showcasing of young talents in the NHL, though it is assumed that he helped developed the careers of Kesler, Edler, Burrows etc.

These players worked hard to get where they needed to be. I don't think AV had much to do with it.

IMHO, AV is done if the Canucks fail to make the first or second round of the playoffs.

If Lindy Ruff got fired after years of "successful" years of Buffalo, AV is definitely not immune.

Edited by Dazzle, 03 April 2013 - 09:36 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.