The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

trading Cory Schneider

Your post again picks out one item with tweezers and ignores the other 99% of the information.

I understand your frustration as you are now using personal insults. Its a sure sign you are losing the argument.

If you are willing to calm down a bit, and just look at all the facts, then I am sure you will see it.

Luongo would have no problem staying here if Schneider was traded.

You know this for a fact. That guys been treated like crap by this team management and city. He's done nothing but give his best. He has been under the spot light since coming here, you don't think he see's a chance and may actually want out.

On top of that anytime someone disputes your so called "assumptions cough...cough" facts, you respond with "telling the person they are nit picking there answer.

So what do we have here:

Cory will demanding 7 million in two years or walk out as a UFA

Sedins are getting older or window in closings

The return for cory will be much higher than Luongos

canucks retain Luongos cap hit when he retires in 5 years

Lack will take over number 1 when Luo retires

That it? I got all the "facts". Am i missing anything?

Cory will demanding 7 million in two years or walk out as a UFA

No way of knowing how much he will be asking for, IF he demands 7 million and canucks pay him that, then its safe to say he deserves and has earned it. Cory has easily been this teams MVP this year, Should he not be getting paid like it?

Sedins are getting older our window in closings

Again would this win now mentality not insinuate that we keep the goalie that gives us the best chance at winning now? Which has clearly been cory.

The return for cory will be much higher than Luongos

Possibly, but again three things,

1)if we want the impact player to help us win now, he will cost up cap, Cap that we can't afford to give up with the cap max at 64 next year.

2)If we want a future impact player to replace the sedins when they slow down. Wouldn't it be smart to start building a team from the net out with a goalie who's already NHL proven? Unlike any potential realistic prospect we could obtain.

3)If Gillis was offered a trade he couldn't refuse, wouldn't Cory already have been moved. Teams don't need to come up in public and tell the world that they are shopping a player in order for other GMs to put in an offer on him. I don't doubt that other GM's were inquiring about Schneider before deadline. Obviously nothing happened

Canucks retain Luongos cap hit when he retires in 5 years

You have merit on this topic but who realistically knows when luongo will retire. His cap hit becomes beneficial to teams looking to spend little and hit the cap floor. If you were to ask luongo if he could play until he is past his 40's i'm sure he'd say yes, especially if he was in a non hockey driven market (aka Florida) where he isn't being scrutinized ever goal he lets in.

Lack will take over number 1 when Luo retires

Again Lack isn't 20, he is 25. In 5 years IF Luongo decides to hang them up, Lack will be 30. If Lack is the next "Cory" why on earth would he remain a back up until he's 30?

I would be ok with trading Schneider, if it was certain a couple of key things would happen:

1) Luongo would still WANT to stay here. Truly, heart and soul.

2) Everyone involved was at least ok with the idea of this happening. If Schneider was told he'd be the #1 and then we trade him, one would assume there might be ill feelings. If it becomes a free-for-all in the media and fans get all upset then that is going to put a huge burden on management and in the dressing room.

But if Scheider would get us a far better return (and it truly looks like he would) then I actually wouldn't mind keeping Luongo:

While I think while Schneider is pretty much proven by this point, I think there is still a small amount of doubt that he will consistently play at an elite level.

I personally don't know why (and never have) known what the huge fuss was about Luongo's contract. Yes, it's long. But it also secures an elite goalie (and likely will be for at least another 2-3 years) at a VERY good price for an elite goalie. Sure there are questions about his playoff performance. But you can say that about the rest of our team with the exception of a year or two as well.

I love both guys but know one has to go. Whatever is best for the team in the end is fine with me.

I would be ok with trading Schneider, if it was certain a couple of key things would happen:

1) Luongo would still WANT to stay here. Truly, heart and soul.

2) Everyone involved was at least ok with the idea of this happening. If Schneider was told he'd be the #1 and then we trade him, one would assume there might be ill feelings. If it becomes a free-for-all in the media and fans get all upset then that is going to put a huge burden on management and in the dressing room.

But if Scheider would get us a far better return (and it truly looks like he would) then I actually wouldn't mind keeping Luongo:

While I think while Schneider is pretty much proven by this point, I think there is still a small amount of doubt that he will consistently play at an elite level.

I personally don't know why (and never have) known what the huge fuss was about Luongo's contract. Yes, it's long. But it also secures an elite goalie (and likely will be for at least another 2-3 years) at a VERY good price for an elite goalie. Sure there are questions about his playoff performance. But you can say that about the rest of our team with the exception of a year or two as well.

I love both guys but know one has to go. Whatever is best for the team in the end is fine with me.

I give you credit for looking at the bigger picture. I give you a plus 1

Now, the actual details do start to become my opinion. I am using an educated guess but you are right. I cant prove it. But neither can you. You cant 'prove' any of your conjecture either.

But what we can agree on is this:

Luongo's trade value is virtually nil because of the new CBA.

Luongo signed a 12 year deal to stay in the city with out clauses long after Schneider would be developed and thus traded. His out clauses start in year 5 or 7 or whatever.

Luongo was outplayed by Schneider in game 345 of the Kings series and thus Gillis informed him now Schneider was their guy or that they werent trading Schneider or they didnt know who would be the starter. Nobody knows for sure except Luongo and Gillis

Luongo demands a trade and wants to move on. This is a damning piece of evidence that Luongo should be traded. True enough

But the situation has changed. The CBA has changed and its become (in my opinion) wiser to trade Schneider due to asset management

Luongo and Schneider have had playful videos about who is number 1. Luongo wouldnt bother with it if he just wanted out of Vancouver Its about who is #1. They are making light of it.

Do you really believe that Luongo wants to leave vancouver? Or he just wants a starting job somewhere? I believe the latter . He signed a 12 year contract to stay here. If we trade Schneider which was our original intent, Luongo would be more than happy.

Cheers.

Your post again picks out one item with tweezers and ignores the other 99% of the information.

I understand your frustration as you are now using personal insults. Its a sure sign you are losing the argument.

If you are willing to calm down a bit, and just look at all the facts, then I am sure you will see it.

Luongo would have no problem staying here if Schneider was traded.

It's far more realistic to try dealing Schneider than Luongo. Imagine this one:

To Edmonton: Schneider, Higgins

To Vancouver: Hemsky, Whitney, and Denis

Vancouver gets a good backup goalie and two potent performers who can revive their power play and secondary offense. Edmonton gets another good goalie and a checking-line centre. Might allow Edmonton to get back to the playoffs, but Vancouver will be a step ahead on this one.

Vancouver gets a good backup goalie and two potent performers who can revive their power play and secondary offense. Edmonton gets another good goalie and a checking-line centre. Might allow Edmonton to get back to the playoffs, but Vancouver will be a step ahead on this one.

If we traded Schnieds to the Oilers it would be for one of there big 4. Both Hall and Eberle just re-signed for 6 mil each and it wont be long before RNH and Yak are in the same boat. The oilers would be shooting themselves if they tried keeping all 4 as that would be 40% of the cap hit ( assuming it stays where its at)

Since Hall/Eberle/RNH are playing on a line together I could see Nail being the odd man out and the most likely to be had. Gillis would have to really do the pro vs con with that type of deal. Handing an offensive threatening team like Edmonton a goalie like Schnieder could be a division suicide as he would instantly make them a playoff team however we would be given a possible future franchise player in Yakupov and great start to giving us both a goal scorer now and a player for our future once the twins have left. ( Will take some of the sting off of losing players like Grabner and Hodgeson )

As others have said, our return for Luongo will not be great which is sad because Luongo is a very good goalie. Schnieder is the better goalie but the return for him would be outstanding. So what would make this team better ?

Keep Schnieder and add a couple of draft picks or mid range prospects

Keep Luongo and add a top player in return for Schnieder

The intent was to trade Schneider . thus the 12 year luongo extension. I dont think you will find many to deny this.

The 7 mil dollar 'guess' on my part is just an educated guess. Both are what I believe. Its not one or another. Try stating your own opinion instead of using flimsy attack logic to try to invalidate others.

We have a good thread going here. Lets keep it classy.

Speaking of Schneider threads, there is also on up on HF boards about buying Luongo out or trading Schneider. I guess they are even going a step further than we are.

how's Schneider a sure-thing when this is really his first season playing majority of the game?? was Mason or Raycroft a sure thing when they won the calder? they both definitely have the skill.. but it never fully developed. Schneider have all the tools and potential.. but he's far from being a sure thing until he plays multiple 82 game seasons.

Ok, suppose the Canucks do pay Schneider 7 million. I'd rather pay an elite puck stopping goaltender than an elite forward or d'man that kind of money. Trading Lou or dumping his 5.3 Million salary gets us an elite player and keeps the better goalie. Schneider is better over the last 3 seasons, is better technically and management sees that. They have opted to trade Lou in favour of Schneider and better hockey minds than ours have made that choice. Fans on here argue it ad nauseum, but thems the facts. People here would rather argue than agree. They are the ones without an ounce of goaltending experience or knowledge, but opinionated like all get out,lLaughable on one hand and painful on the other. Their only answer to the Lou threat is to find a way to trade Schneider.

Archived