#31 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Elliott Kalan@ElliottKalan 20m
Breaking News: Senate votes to change name of country to USNRA.

#32 bolt

bolt

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Senates should be abolished on both sides of the border. Waste of time and resources.

#33 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

The sad thing is that a majority of NRA MEMBERS support background checks. As already stated, an OVERWEMING majority of AMERICAN's support it. Here's how this gets done. The morons that voted against it, kick their asses out. My guess is the people who voted against it are in hardcore red states, or are up for re-election in swing states.

#34 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

[quote name='DonLever' timestamp='1366235890' post='11309801']
Obama just made speech about the defeat of the Senate gun legislation. He was VERY angry.
[/quote]

You can bet he won't be the only one VERY angry about this.
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#35 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

The sad thing is that a majority of NRA MEMBERS support background checks. As already stated, an OVERWEMING majority of AMERICAN's support it. Here's how this gets done. The morons that voted against it, kick their asses out. My guess is the people who voted against it are in hardcore red states, or are up for re-election in swing states.

To be fair the majority of the voters in the hardcore red states are very very anti-gun control of any kind in the first place. The voters themselves need to become more progressive in those states...what's sad is that the senators from the hardcore Reds are actually doing what their voters want.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 17 April 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#37 whitegreen'nblue

whitegreen'nblue

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

But it WOULD have prevented Aurora. Whatever the hell his name was was a freaking looney tune and if this bill passed the loonies would have a harder time getting the guns. As far as mental health...I agree...why don't we start by arresting these idiot psychotherapists who are prescribing dangerous pharmaceutical drugs like Ritalin and Adderall to children under the age of 12. That'd be a very nice start...or maybe to fix the mental health system they could stop charging people an arm and a leg for the medicines that keep them sane or in some cases keeps them alive.

Not necessarily. Someone who may be deemed sane when buying a firearm may loose it after he has taken posession of a firearm. And the other way around.

#38 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:10 PM

Obama just made speech about the defeat of the Senate gun legislation. He was VERY angry.

I just watched. Shameful is what he termed it and asked how many tragedies is it going to take before there is meaningful change.

He also was upset with the lies and misrepresentations by the gun lobby.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#39 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Some seem happy with the vote:

WASHINGTON—Following the Senate’s rejection of a bipartisan amendment to expand background checks for gun buyers, the young victims of next week’s school shooting emphatically thanked members of Congress today for failing to pass more comprehensive gun control legislation. “Great job, guys,” said 14-year-old Jacob Miller, one of nine junior high school students who will be shot next week by a mentally ill gunman wielding a legally acquired assault rifle that was purchased at a gun show. “My classmates and I are really proud of you for cowering to the NRA and caring more about politics than my friends and I getting shot and killed. It totally makes sense. You’re the best.” The soon-to-be massacred teenager added that his parents, Caroline and Pete Miller, also wanted to extend their heartfelt congratulations to the Senate.

The Onion on the voting today

NOTE - The Onion publishes satire

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#40 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Some seem happy with the vote:

WASHINGTON—Following the Senate’s rejection of a bipartisan amendment to expand background checks for gun buyers, the young victims of next week’s school shooting emphatically thanked members of Congress today for failing to pass more comprehensive gun control legislation. “Great job, guys,” said 14-year-old Jacob Miller, one of nine junior high school students who will be shot next week by a mentally ill gunman wielding a legally acquired assault rifle that was purchased at a gun show. “My classmates and I are really proud of you for cowering to the NRA and caring more about politics than my friends and I getting shot and killed. It totally makes sense. You’re the best.” The soon-to-be massacred teenager added that his parents, Caroline and Pete Miller, also wanted to extend their heartfelt congratulations to the Senate.

The Onion on the voting today

NOTE - The Onion publishes satire

Uh...you do realize that's The Onion, right? And that every bit of that is sarcastic?
Posted Image

#41 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

And President Obama was not happy.

A visibly angry U.S. President Barack Obama lashed out at members of the U.S. Senate on Wednesday, after a minority of senators succesfully blocked a bipartisan effort to expand federal background checks to more firearms buyers.

"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said at a Washington, D.C., news conference after the vote, which was a jarring blow to the drive to curb firearms.

Obama said he considered the loss "just Round 1."

Obama was flanked by gun violence victims, including former U.S. representative Gabrielle Giffords. He slammed critics who said it was unseemly for the victims to be lobbying for the new law.

"Are they serious? Do we really think that thousands of families whose lives have been shattered by gun violence don't have a right to weigh in on this issue?"

The legislation was sparked by December's massacre of children and staff at an elementary school in Connecticut. Obama made broadened background checks the centrepiece of his gun control proposals.

The roll call was also a victory for the National Rifle Association, which opposed the plan as an ineffective infringement on gun rights.

The proposal would have required background checks for all transactions at gun shows and online. Currently they must occur for sales handled by licensed gun dealers.

The system is designed to keep criminals and people with mental problems from getting guns.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...und-checks.html

#42 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I wonder how many corporations that have been in business for 40+ years operate using the same laws/business practices that were in place when they started. Or have they changed?? Yet America HAS to operate based on a piece of paper that is 200+ years old.

#43 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

im not a gun owner so increasing difficulty to get one doesn't bother me. but i think its naive to think this would change anything. what is to stop a mentally ill person from acquiring a gun illegally and producing the same results? when there are regulations, there is always someone willing to be the middle man to make a buck. i think people in the red states see these changes making it harder to defend themselves and their families (calling them rednecks while it makes you feel better, shows you have no idea about their culture or understand the differences between you and them). the gov't and media use tragedies to provoke an emotional response from people. what if one of these sick people walks into a families home that's unprotected?

#44 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I wonder how many corporations that have been in business for 40+ years operate using the same laws/business practices that were in place when they started. Or have they changed?? Yet America HAS to operate based on a piece of paper that is 200+ years old.

That is the problem when your constitutional regime operates under a frozen concepts doctrine as in the US.

Unlike the US and their frozen concepts approach, in Canada we have adopted the Living Tree doctrine in interpreting our Constitution. This doctrine of constitutional interpretation says that a constitution is organic and must be read in a broad and progressive manner so as to adapt it to the changing times.

It was first enunciated during the Persons case - Edwards v. Canada (Attorney General) [1930] A.C. 124, 1929 UKPC 86 - previously titled in the Supreme Court of Canada Reference re Meaning of the Word "Persons" in s. 24 of the BNA Act, [1928] S.C.R. 276. In those days the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council in the UK was our final level of appeal.

The Lord Chancellor, Viscount Sankey, writing for the committee, found that the meaning of "qualified persons" should be read broadly to include women, reversing the decision of the Supreme Court of Canada. He held that "[t]he exclusion of women from all public offices is a relic of days more barbarous than ours," and that "to those who ask why the word ["person"] should include females, the obvious answer is why should it not.":

"[T]heir Lordships have come to the conclusion that the word "persons" in sec. 24 includes members both of the male and female sex and that, therefore, ... women are eligible to be summoned to and become members of the Senate of Canada, and they will humbly advise His Majesty accordingly."

Lord Sankey set out an entirely new approach to constitutional interpretation that has since become one of the core principles of constitutional law in Canada.

The British North America Act planted in Canada a living tree capable of growth and expansion within its natural limits. The object of the Act was to grant a Constitution to Canada. Like all written constitutions it has been subject to development through usage and convention...

Their Lordships do not conceive it to be the duty of this Board—it is certainly not their desire—to cut down the provisions of the Act by a narrow and technical construction, but rather to give it a large and liberal interpretation so that the Dominion to a great extent, but within certain fixed limits, may be mistress in her own house, as the provinces to a great extent, but within certain fixed limits, are mistresses in theirs."

This has guided our courts from that day forward in interpreting our Constitution and must be read within the context of society to ensure that it adapts and reflects changes. If constitutional interpretation adheres to the Fathers of Confederation's and remains rooted in the past, the Constitution would not be reflective of society.

As a result sexual orientation has become a protected ground of discrimination as an "analogous ground" and same sex marriage was validated in the courts. In fact the SCOC invoked the Living Tree doctrine in the case of Reference re Same Sex Marriage:

The "frozen concepts" reasoning runs contrary to one of the most fundamental principles of Canadian constitutional interpretation: that our Constitution is a living tree which, by way of progressive interpretation, accommodates and addresses the realities of modern life.

We ain't 'Murica, people ... fortunately.

#45 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#46 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Uh...you do realize that's The Onion, right? And that every bit of that is sarcastic?

Yes I do.

Use your mouse and highlight under the link.

#47 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Yes I do.

Use your mouse and highlight under the link.

Indicate hidden text next time to avoid confusion, that's all I'm asking.
Posted Image

#48 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

Wow, how pathetic. Some senates are afraid some gun nuts might come after them? Oh, nevermind the shootings. People are already sending poison envelopes apparently, what makes them think this won't anger even more people?

Such a mess. Glad Obama stood up for what's right. Though he basically admitted to the public that he's a puppet. Though the smart people already knew that, and the others wouldn't have picked up on it.

Pineapple_jumps.gif9rpqmc.jpgPineapple_jumps.gif

Thanks to Blueberries for the awesome sig!

#49 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Indicate hidden text next time to avoid confusion, that's all I'm asking.

Why?

It should not be confusing.

#50 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

I wonder how many corporations that have been in business for 40+ years operate using the same laws/business practices that were in place when they started.  Or have they changed??   Yet America HAS to operate based on a piece of paper that is 200+ years old.

Not only that, but they operate on a deeply flawed interpretation of said document...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#51 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why?

It should not be confusing.

Well because normally when people post things they don't incorporate hidden text. It's not exactly common practice to have to highlight an entire post just on the off chance there's hidden text. Then for you to chastise me and ridicule me for not seeing the hidden text...WTF, man.
Posted Image

#52 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

For those who missed President Obama condemning the 'shameful' Senate gun control loss and that the gun lobby 'willfully lied' in criticisms of gun control bill see:
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...l?autoplay=true

#53 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Constitution is NOT the problem here.
Posted Image

#54 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well because normally when people post things they don't incorporate hidden text. It's not exactly common practice to have to highlight an entire post just on the off chance there's hidden text. Then for you to chastise me and ridicule me for not seeing the hidden text...WTF, man.

I thought the post was obvious satire but on the off chance that some did not recognize it, I placed a hint in the post.

Of course I suppose after you have had your arguments so severely beaten down in the past you thought you might actually score a point. You jumped in and OOPSIE... you got bit on the butt. :lol:

#55 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

The Constitution is NOT the problem here.

Sure looks that way.

No right to bear arms and no problem.

#56 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I thought the post was obvious satire but on the off chance that some did not recognize it, I placed a hint in the post.

Of course I suppose after you have had your arguments so severely beaten down in the past you thought you might actually score a point. You jumped in and OOPSIE... you got bit on the butt. :lol:

You placed an UNSEEN hint in the post. That is the point here. Really...was this attack on me necessary, Counsel? You couldn't beat your way out of a wet paper bag, Perry Mason. Just because I got tired of dealing with your crap or because I was "mysteriously" suspended for giving you the business and I wasn't around doesn't mean you beat my argument down..it means I got tired of you running your mouth. I know when to stop banging my head against a wall. You seem to do it for a living.
Posted Image

#57 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,651 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Score a point? This is a discussion forum, not a sporting event.

#58 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

You placed an UNSEEN hint in the post. That is the point here. Really...was this attack on me necessary, Counsel? You couldn't beat your way out of a wet paper bag, Perry Mason. Just because I got tired of dealing with your crap or because I was "mysteriously" suspended for giving you the business and I wasn't around doesn't mean you beat my argument down..it means I got tired of you running your mouth. I know when to stop banging my head against a wall. You seem to do it for a living.

You should know better than to discuss a moderators actions in a publicly viewable thread. There are consequences for such actions, Ummm you did know that, eh?

#59 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ease up, guys.

Scott: 'Coaster has been around a long time and those of us more familiar with his posting would have realized that it was obvious satire.

A misunderstanding. Nothing worth getting into a flame fest over...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#60 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's just a matter of time before the next mass shooting. I give it two months.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.