The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

correct me if im wrong but didnt sean burke briefly play for the canucks?

Traded Kirk MacLean and Martin Gelinas for Burke and Geoff Sanderson..... I think

Then we traded Burke to Philly for Garth Snow.

Back to Tippet and developing younger players.... Wonder how he would feel about having Kyle Turris on his team now?

The only requirement I have in a coach is one who doesn't line juggle 500 times per game. Let guys have some time to develop chemistry. Let the young guys makes mistakes but keep them with the same linemates for an extended period of time and then decide if a change is needed. Not after one failed shift. This has always been my biggest AV gripe.

You're going to be disappointed.

It's a common misconception on CDC that AV juggled the lines more than any other coach. The truth is, line juggling is common all around the league and I can guarantee you that the new guy, whomever he is, will be doing plenty of it...

AV isn't working here because he is using offensive minded players in a defensive role. We can't get a coach to tell the players how to play, we have to find a Coach that fits the way our players want to play. That will bring about success

That's not why AV is no longer here, nor is the rest of your post even remotely close to being accurate.

The AV - Mitchell "feud" was one of those things that was blown way out of proportion by the media and fans.

Anyone who's ever been in a dressing room knows that coaches and players have their moments. Virtually all of them.

Tippett will bring a tighter system than AV did! He would be a HORRIBLE choice to work with this team. If you bring in Tippett might as well ship out any offensive player & prospect.

Not what this team needs at all.

Tippett is actually a very good offensive minded coach contrary to popular belief. He only became a defense first coach in Phoenix because that's what it took to win games.

In LA when he was brought in as an assistant coach, he turned a 25th ranked powerplay into a number 1 ranked powerplay in 3 years. And he took a 24th ranked offense and transformed it into a top 10 ranked offense.

Then when he was hired by Dallas he coached the team to a 21 point improvement in his first season. And also turned their 15th ranked offense into a 6th ranked offense and a number 8 ranked powerplay into a 5th ranked powerplay.

He also has had good success coaching younger players as he coached the Houston Aeros to a Calder Cup (Turner Cup) in 1999 and was named coach of the year.

The only time he's reverted to defensive trap styles is when he was given poor rosters due to the teams financial positions. Don't be fooled though, the guy knows how to utilize skilled players, and definitely knows how to run a powerplay.

Tippett is actually a very good offensive minded coach contrary to popular belief. He only became a defense first coach in Phoenix because that's what it took to win games.

In LA when he was brought in as an assistant coach, he turned a 25th ranked powerplay into a number 1 ranked powerplay in 3 years. And he took a 24th ranked offense and transformed it into a top 10 ranked offense.

Then when he was hired by Dallas he coached the team to a 21 point improvement in his first season. And also turned their 15th ranked offense into a 6th ranked offense and a number 8 ranked powerplay into a 5th ranked powerplay.

He also has had good success coaching younger players as he coached the Houston Aeros to a Calder Cup (Turner Cup) in 1999 and was named coach of the year.

The only time he's reverted to defensive trap styles is when he was given poor rosters due to the teams financial positions. Don't be fooled though, the guy knows how to utilize skilled players, and definitely knows how to run a powerplay.

I think this whole idea that any NHL coach can't coach offense is ridiculous. Hockey players and coaches grow up with the goal of putting the puck in the net. It's how they're built.

It's the defensive side that's the difficult thing. It's why you see talented rookies spending time in the minors. It's not because they need to learn how to play in the offensive zone, it's because they need to learn how to play in their own end.

Coaches have similar challenges. To implement an all-around defensive structure and have all 20 guys buy in is the tough thing. Allowing your offensively gifted players to do what comes naturally is not.

Give any NHL caliber coach a talented offensive team and he'll be able to adapt to a more offensive style.

And in his first year with Phx, the team, always out of the playoffs, improved by 28 points.

I remember AV giving Willie the Cody treatment and doubting his back injury one time so I'm sure that didn't go over too well with Mitchell.

Coaches do a lot of things that don't go over well with players. It happens all the time.

However, to believe that anyone who's ever been called out by their coach carries some sort of grudge years after the fact, is naive.

Some interesting tweets from Willie regarding AV getting fired

Willie Mitchell@Willie_Mitch3323h

"Listen SON" you will land back on your feet in no time @kbieksa3 @Ryan_Kesler @strombone1 #canucks #avfired #nhl

Willie Mitchell@Willie_Mitch33

22h

In all seriousness, good luck to #AV & #Bones -one of the nicest men in hockey. #canucks #nhl #avfired #howAVdoes"son"

Mitchell pouring it on AV. On the the team1040 they were saying Willie and AV never got along...never knew that

I think he's just making fun of the fact that AV acts much older than he is. He seems to call all his players young men. I dunno I think it's just an inside joke between the players. I doubt it's a jab at AV.

He goes on to compliment him, so it's all good.

Except Henrik doesn't shoot/can't score, Roy is a passer who doesn't score much, Kesler has been a bandaid and our wingers suck. What on earth makes you think those three guys should make us score a bunch of goals?

You nee good passers to score goals. I don't think it takes a genius to know that...

Good centers can make average wingers much better. And we had three elite centers.

Archived