The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I watched the news conference yesterday as saw a Brain Burke wannabee. Gillis talks down to the media in a manner that just smells of arrogance (or is that his sweat?) short flippant answers, no taking of respsonsibility for the state of the team's current roster. The thing is there is a HUGE difference between Burke and Gillis....Burke has a proven track record. My point is that you have to EARN the right to carry a level of arrogance. Gillis has EARNED nothing. Gillis needed to come accross as humble and share some responsibility and instead of acting like as a coward does....blame someone else. All he could talk about how he fought to keep AV five years ago and now he could not justify keeping him....what he failed to mention is the terrible drafting, terrible trades and lack of improvement in the team's roster over those same 5 years. Lets face it, its not looking good...the current roster is weak and the cupboard is pretty bare. Nobody in the league want to deal with Gillis because he is a bottom feeder former player agent and frankly nothing more than a snake oil salesman that convinced the Aquilinis he know hockey better that Nonis.

Make no mistake, AV had to go, but now Gillis has to go and a good thing is there is nobody left for Gillis to blame and its only a matter of time until he is shown the door for his lack of ability.

I am a lifelong fan of the Canucks and it kills me to see the situation they are in right now. I just want a leader that I can support and Mike Gillis is no leader.

The media in Vancouver would try anyone's patience. What a bunch of hacks.

We will be facing better teams on a regular basis next season, so the Nucks will have to tighten up their defence. I hope they can still bring a decent offence (with the addition of a scoring 2nd line). Sure would hate to go back to the old defence style of years ago. No Vancouver Predators for me!

Does anyone actually care what gallagher thinks? Not saying tippett is our man but that guys opinion is worth just as much as grapes to me.

I dont care about any of these tools and there opinion columns , Give me info and i can form my own opinion .

These guys are nothing more then a journalist that went to school to get that degree to write and does mean there opinion is any better then any other person and could easily be very jaded when it comes from a journalist that has been in the same market for so long as there are good chances there are underlying history of ups and downs with love and hate in the relationship between players or management or even ownership with the writer that will spew out in there columns

Sounds believable.

The firing of AV has the appearance of an ownership imperative behind it.

As for Tippett, he'd be my choice among the obvious and potentially available options.

The fact that Tony Gallagher thinks otherwise only seals the deal - is he ever simple.

Let's hope this isn't Doan v2.0, because I'm not thrilled with the other options.

Last year there were very few options for replacement coaches, but this year there is that room to find the right fit out of a better selection of options. It's no secret Tippett is very good with a limited roster in a defensive setting, but surrounding him with good assistants may bridge any gaps in his coaching philosophy.

I disagree that this was ownership driven though. Certainly they have input but Gillis is not an unintelligent man and knows a change was needed. He may have even wanted to make it last year but I already noted the lack of replacement options at that time. I don't think anyone faults Vigneault for the things he does do well and he is a strong coach, so change alone for the sake of it would have been worse for Gillis.

The dream is Babcock, of course, who also is very tough on his players around defensive mistakes, but I think he's enjoyed the challenge of coaching a team without Lidstrom and may look to stick around a few more years. I've wondered what someone like Laviolette could do, but I also can't deny Tippett is a very good coach and wouldn't be a detriment to the team that perhaps an AHL coach might be initially.

In any case, there will be a transition period while new systems are implemented. The sooner a change happens, the sooner those can be shared with the main roster players to prepare for the season.

Sounds believable.

The firing of AV has the appearance of an ownership imperative behind it.

As for Tippett, he'd be my choice among the obvious and potentially available options.

The fact that Tony Gallagher thinks otherwise only seals the deal - is he ever simple.

Let's hope this isn't Doan v2.0, because I'm not thrilled with the other options.

Aquillini's apparently wanted A.V gone, when they took over as owners. Mike Gillis advised them to keep him after the 8 hour re interview a little over 5 years ago that convined Gillis to keep him.

dave tippett or dallas eakins.. I personally will go with dave tippett since he has nhl and playoffs experience..If we choose dallas

eakins then coach might need sometime to adjust to nhl just like Washington's coach..but still everyone think dallas is nhl ready

coach so i wouldn't mind him either. however, i don't like idea of owner choosing the next coach..Owner should be open minded

and look at the options Gm gives.

The things that AV did that caused him to be let go.

- He trusted Alberts over Ballard in a playoff series where we needed more offense.

- Kassian kept being bounced over all 4 lines.

- Benches Ballard which is fine if it's based on performance, but would keep Edler who was doing horrible getting top minutes.

- When we got secondary scoring during the season from Hansen Schroeder and Higgins, and that line was going, he broke them up.

- The dreaded drop pass.

- Kept Edler on the point on 1st unit power play, when he could have used Garrison.

Honestly folks, AV looked at the last two games like a frustrated coach, who didn't have any tricks up his sleeve, and didn't seem to be comfortable with the players he had to work with.

AV will find a job in no time. Gillis on the other hand, if he doesn't clean up his own messes as quickly as he can, he will probably be back as an agent.

If Ballard is bought out as I suspect he will be, I'd say it was MG's call. If he suffered a long term injury he couldn't be bought out. We'll never know for sure but putting him in the press box was the only way to ensure he could be bought out.

Last year there were very few options for replacement coaches, but this year there is that room to find the right fit out of a better selection of options. It's no secret Tippett is very good with a limited roster in a defensive setting, but surrounding him with good assistants may bridge any gaps in his coaching philosophy.

I disagree that this was ownership driven though. Certainly they have input but Gillis is not an unintelligent man and knows a change was needed. He may have even wanted to make it last year but I already noted the lack of replacement options at that time. I don't think anyone faults Vigneault for the things he does do well and he is a strong coach, so change alone for the sake of it would have been worse for Gillis.

My comment really has nothing to do with considering Gillis an unintelligent man.

Last year would have been too premature to be blaming AV for the first round loss - if they fired him last year then, regardless of the options available. I could not possibly have agreed with the move. At this point it's hard to argue with.

Anyhow, it's unfortunate that last year the Habs were looking for a coach - and in all likelihood courting AV - while AV chose to return - and missed out on that opportunity.

Elder should probably be traded for help up front.

Very unlikely. How much credibility will a GM have negotiating with players after getting a player to sign for a discount, give him a NTC, and then turn around and trade him? You can kiss any further player below market discounts good-bye.

Aquillini's apparently wanted A.V gone, when they took over as owners. Mike Gillis advised them to keep him after the 8 hour re interview a little over 5 years ago that convined Gillis to keep him.

I can't see Gillis going into this year's meeting and hoping to convince them again that he'd be returning and bringing back the same coaching staff - even if that were what he'd have preferred. That wasn't going to sell unless that was ownership's own position. I have no doubt that Gillis realized that, consented/wasn't in a position of strength to be defending his coach, and realized he'd have to do something proactive.

I haven't seen a NTC prevent a player movement yet other than when the player was universally not wanted. It all relates back to the dollars involved. ie Gomez. How does Gillis play hardball on NTC's when other GM's hand them out as a matter of course. It is a fine line that team managements have to thread. Half the NHL have losing seasons. Van's management was in the top 10 and still couldn't cut it with expectations. The classic was Gillis's comment that he would hire his new coach from the assembled sports writers. He should perhaps extend his search to the CDC.

Sundin refused to waive his in Toronto as did one of the d-men. Players have declined to waive their ntc's. There's typically a reason a player will waive his ntc as opposed to doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

Yeah he's had some past success playing with Vanek . However during the last two seasons his production has dropped way off, he was on pace for about 14 goals this year. We've seen flashes of his skill here but not on a consistent basis. A 1C should have the ability to carry a line, we all saw his ability to do that in the SJ series when he was matched up against the other team's bottom pairing and produced next to nothing.

You mean when he had Weise as his winger?

If Ballard is bought out as I suspect he will be, I'd say it was MG's call. If he suffered a long term injury he couldn't be bought out. We'll never know for sure but putting him in the press box was the only way to ensure he could be bought out.

Fair enough point, although the buyout is still a last resort. Obviously he'd still look to move him for a draft pick or put him on waivers if that fails, but it's better to have that option and not need it than to need that option and not have it.

One of AVs biggest issues was not holding his "leaders" accountable even when they were ineffective. When a young player struggled, he had no problems demoting or even benching them. When one of the top guys played poorly, they still had their spots guaranteed. I hope the new coach holds everyones feet to the fire.

You keep equating regular season with the playoffs.

You imply the statistics proved we had a SC winning team, well the Boston game implied we didn't and it was near as damn it re-confirmed against LA.

You keep making excuses for Gillis's inability to strengthen the Finals team. You know there is a skill in upgrading. It doesn't mean you keep everyone you have and suddenly bring in someone else. You deal.

Of course we all know "dealing" is Gillis's achilles heel. He can't get himself to the other side of the table. And that won't change.

I'm MAKING A POINT that he came up short with the PLAYERS he was given when he should have had better. The point is we were lucky to have a coach who even reached the playoffs this year after the injuries and the shambles made of getting what we needed.

Of course he not only didn't get what the Canucks needed ..........he downgraded and forced AV to play duds (Sestito, Pinizzotto, Joslin, Ebbett) rehabs (Barker) and youngsters who were not ready. (Schroeder, Sweatt, Jensen, Kassian, Corrado.)

What a fiasco.

The main core of the team was still there. Look at all the injuries Ottawa had and the job their coach was able to do. Look at the Leafs and what a difference a coach makes on certain players. Yeah there were duds in the bottom six, but why couldn't AV motivate them to play better? More importantly, why couldn't AV motivate the top 6 to play like the same studs as 2011?

Archived