The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

I don't had any doubt about his skills, I had doubt about if he could do the job as a #1 and start most of the games on a long run. He proved me he can be the #1 in this league, to be honest even if Luongo always have been my favorite wearing the Canucks colors, I would have been fine seeing him traded and Schneider becoming our uncontested #1.

That was my opinion before the playoffs, by now I want to see Schneider move away and Luongo stay as our starter and it have NOTHING to do about Schneider lost in playoffs. He would have start the playoffs, lost all 4 games beeing bad most of the game I would still have been okay to trade Luongo, but I want him out because he isn't a team guy as much as a lot of people pretend to. He wasn't healty enough to be on the bench by game #2, he wasn't healty enough to be sure he was going to travel with the team to San Jose. You can be medically clear by the doctor, that mean you can play without worsen your injury, but that doesn't mean you can play at 100% you still have to deal with pain. So Schneider decide he will be in net for game 3(in the NHL you never lose your roster spot due to an injury), he think about himself first before the team, he saw himself bigger than the team, we didn't had Sanford, Raycroft, Labarbera or Sabourin in net, we had Luongo who was doing great the 1st two games, we didn't had to play Schneider until he could play at 100%.

You can say whatever you want, in those two playoffs game I haven't saw a Schneider who could play through pain and compete at his best, because he said he was ready even if he wasn't, I want him out.

Schnieder will be fine, he is aware that this year is his team. And if he struggles he won't have to worry about losing starts to Luongo. This situation is very simliar to Rask and Thomas in Boston. Rask was one of the best goalie 4? years ago and then choked in the playoffs losing to philly while being up 3-0. But Boston was aware that Rask was a better option because he is younger and cost less. Schnieder will be good for the Canucks not a lot of goalies are good the first few times in the playoffs, just look How Quick, Rask were there first times in the playoffs.

Schneider may not have a full season as a starter under his belt but he has shown a consistently high level of play over the course of several years, he's definitely earned his shot.

Not to mention that Luongo even says Schneider is faster and more technically proficient than him.

shieds should have been traded before he resigned. AV caused this disaster when after winning another presidents trophy and losing 2 games in the post season louie was replaced and he named shieds as the #1 who went on to win 1 game. could be the stupidest moving in coaching history.

i would keep louie over shieds he didn't even play a full season as the starter and he was injured prior to the playoffs durability has value and louie has proven to be very durable.

Roberto will stay. If he doesn't I'm going with him.

He proves he's still elite and by far better than Cory in the playoffs when it counts.

I was really praying that I would be wrong and Cory would have a great playoff which would cement him as our number one and Lui could move on to a different team and dominate again... but that obviously didnt happen with two choke jobs from cory in games 3 n 4

I see your point now on AV. But don't rule out the possibility that MG had a say in it. Though AV should have started Luongo regardless, since he was still one of the better players in games 1 and 2.

And even though you like Cory's game more than Lu's, Cory hasn't done anything to show that he could get the job done, especially more than Lu. Hopefully Cory is able to do what we'll need him to.

And Lu did put the team on his back, half the time. The other half is just a result of him not putting the team on his back, and it shows he was the only player in the finals that did anything for us.

Not even close?

Overall,

Cory: .922 SP, 2.59 GA

Roberto: .916 SP, 2.54 GA

And this is with two years in a row where Cory has been thrown in cold after Lu losing the first two home games. This last year coming off injury, (which he may not even have been fully recovered).

Face it, you and BenDrinkin are in the minority. Both goalies went head to head and Cory came out the winner. The Canucks ownership and management think Cory has proven himself as the better goalie and won the #1 job.

As usual CanuckLuck would have it, Schneider was injured right before the playoffs. I have a lot of confidence in him when he is healthy. Schneider should have had a clean slate going into the season as the bonafide #1 instead of playing always looking over his shoulder. I can't wait to see what he does once he can focus on just doing his job as #1 without the background drama.

He proves he's still elite and by far better than Cory in the playoffs when it counts.

I was really praying that I would be wrong and Cory would have a great playoff which would cement him as our number one and Lui could move on to a different team and dominate again... but that obviously didnt happen with two choke jobs from cory in games 3 n 4

I can't help but wonder what all the Cult of Lou would say if their hero was thrust into two straight playoff series where his team was already down 2-0 and he was rushed back into service for the second one while recuperating from a groin injury. After all there were countless people here cutting Lou all kinds of slack YEARS after his groin injury...

How do you figure that? Cory's only played in playoff games in 3 seasons.

2010/11 - 5 games, 0 wins, .915 SV%, 2.58 GAA

2011/12 - 3 games, 1 win, .960 SV%, 1.31 GAA

2012/13 - 2 games, 0 wins, .880 SV%, 4.62 GAA

Where's the consistency in that?

In fact, if you actually look over their stats, regular season or playoffs, Luo has been more consistent from year to year than Cory has. But, of course, it's still early into Cory's career to read too much into that, especially when he was a backup for almost all of it.

Last year Cory was basically the starter light and this year he was crowned, deservedly or not, as the sole starter. So, those 2 seasons may be the most fair for comparison. Last season, Cory started 28 games, won 20, had a .937 SV%, and a 1.96 GAA. This season, he started 30 games, won 17, had a .927 SV% and a 2.11 GAA.

Face it. Cory is still an unknown entity, especially in the playoffs, because his sampling size of games is too small and too spread out to tell us anything. He could turn out to be the best playoff goalie we've ever had, or a good regular season goalie who turns into Fluery and flakes out once the playoffs start. There's no way to say, we just have to wait and see.

Neither goalie is the problem and both give the team a nearly equal chance to win as the starter. (I did the breakdown of stats on that in another thread.) Luo is known to be good and we have every reason to have faith Cory will be good too but neither will win us a Cup without a full team effort in front of them!

No way, Schneider has a terrible attitude. Go back and watch some of his post or pre game interviews. You can find him touting himself as the better goalie at least 5 times this season. It is pretty ridiculous judging he still hasn't played an entire season as starter yet he is touted as an elite goaltender in the NHL by 50% of the Canucks fans and lets not forget that although bandwagon canucks fans love to claim that Schneider was our saving grace against LA two years ago....We lost that series in five games and Schneider was no better than the rest of his team. His play off record is despicable (1-4).

MG really destroyed this team and a great coach and one the NHL's best goalies ever to play the game are paying the price because he is too scared to take the blame,.

Archived