The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

BenDrinkin

Because Cory has never been a flash in the pan out of nowhere fluke guy. He's excelled in every level and it's no surprise to anyone that he emerged as a guy that can be any teams number 1.

You make it like he's a risky guy we never heard of and playing above his level that cannot be sustained.

I think you're reading too much into my post. All I was pointing out was that the very best performances of Luongo's long career have already been beaten in just a few short seasons by Schneider. It shows that Luongo isn't really the legend of goaltending that he's frequently made out to be and that Schneider does have the capacity to be better than Luongo ever was.

Cheechoo wasn't coming from nowhere(2nd round pick, 29 overall so he would have been a 1st round pick today) he scored 101 goals in his 3 years in the OHL, Taylor Hall 1st pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers scored 123 goals in 3 years, so when you score 22 more goals split on 3 seasons, from beeing a nobody you became a 1st pick overall?

In his 1st AHL season he scored 32 goals and the season after he scored 21 goals in 53 games, if you take 10 seasons(1997-98 to 2007-08 excluding the lockout season) of Cheechoo from the OHL to the NHL he scored at least 30 goals in 6 of those(3 time in the OHL, 1 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL) like i said in his 2nd season in the NHL he scored 21 goals in 53 games, do you math that's over 30 goals on a full season, before the lockout, like I showed in a previous post he scored 28 goals and in 2007-08 he scored 23 goals in 69 games so he would have been close to 30 playing the 13 games left. So here we talk about a 30 goals scorer for 9 out of 10 of those season.

If he was one of the best goalies in NHL history then having a long contract with a low cap hit would be a plus and there would be a line of teams wanting him. He is not and never will be.

I'm not trying to convince my self of anything I know Lou is at times a great goalie but when you say he is one of the best in NHL history your being sarcastic or are nuts, he's almost not even one of the top ten of current goalies. If you were to say he is one of the top 50 goalies in NHL history I'd buy that.

That's true. This year, when he was supposed to be traded but wasn't and was constantly harassed about it by the media, was treated like crap by his team (think last home game for just one example!) and left in for games he shouldn't have been, allowing his stats to take a hit, he ended up just 31st on the list this year. That was barely ahead of other known bums like Price, Quick, Brodeur, and Halak.

But Luo was in the top 20 last year (12th).

And the year before that (4th).

And the year before that (18th).

And the year before that (5th).

And the year before that (14th).

And the year before that (9th).

And the year before that (3rd).

And the year before that (10th).

And the year before that (8th).

That's true. This year, when he was supposed to be traded but wasn't and was constantly harassed about it by the media, was treated like crap by his team (think last home game for just one example!) and left in for games he shouldn't have been, allowing his stats to take a hit, he ended up just 31st on the list this year. That was barely ahead of other known bums like Price, Quick, Brodeur, and Halak.

But Luo was in the top 20 last year (12th).

And the year before that (18th).

And the year before that (5th).

And the year before that (14th).

And the year before that (9th).

And the year before that (3rd)."

And the year before that (8th).

I get you don't want to see how the changing landscape of the lowered cap hit and punishing CBA clauses relating to back diving contracts might be the biggest factor in trading Luongo, but that doesn't change the fact of where he stands in the history books.

If you check out HockeyReference.com (which uses a 250 game requirement for career stats) you can see that Luongo is 2nd among active goalies in total wins, saves and shutouts. He's also 3rd among active goalies (with 250 games) and 5th among all goalies in career SV%.

Want to go with another source? According to QuaintHockey (which uses a lower 200 game requirement for career stats), Luo is 19th in number of games played but 5th in career SV%, 15th in career shutouts, and 17th in career wins.

Luo also holds multiple individual season records. For example, Luo holds the first AND second position on the list of most saves made in a single season. (And he's on the list 6 more times.) Perhaps not surprisingly, he also holds the all time record for most shots faced in a single season for 2005/06 (in Florida.)

He holds the 13th spot for all time best single season (with at least 25 games played) SV%. (Fun Fact: Cory actually holds the 4th spot for 2011/12, which is still impressive even though his 33 game season was at least 5 fewer games than anyone else in the top 15. Luo's record season was 72 games long, which was matched by only one other player in the top 15 while all others played at least 5 fewer games. Both Cory and Luo hold multiple other spots on the list as well.)

Throughout his 13-year career (thus far), Luo has been in the top 10 league wide for SV% 8 times, in 2000/01 (7th, tie), 2001/02 (10th), 2002/03 (9th), 2003/04 (3rd), 2005/06 (9th), 2006/07 (4th), 2008/09 (5th), 2010/11 (3rd).

Luo has also been in the top 10 for playoff SV% 3 times, in 2007 (2nd), 2009 (8th) and 2011 (9th).

And let's not forget that little Jennings Trophy on his mantel, which he shared with Cory. And yes, he shared it. It was widely reported that Luo asked AV to put Cory in so he would meet the 25 games played in minimum so the young goalie could get his name on it as well. (Cory actually only started 22 games that year.) That kind of class alone is worth an entry into the Hall of Fame.

You argue we need to get younger, that Cory's cheaper (for now, remember his contract ends in just 2 years when he'll be making $4.5M and likely looking for a raise), or even that Luo might be at the point in his career where his numbers will decline while Cory is young enough that he could continue to improve, but you have no argument that Luo is not an elite goalie who has earned a spot in the record books!

So in the last 12 years his average is not top 10 but he is one of the best all time goalies ever?

If his average is not in the top 10 then he's a middle of the pack goalie plain and simple. Sure he is capable of playing lights out but common. He was lucky to be playing on a PT Canucks team that played him most games, that helps out his overall wins and shutouts but he should not be on the list of top all time goalies.

So because Cheechoo tailed off every player that played good in the AHL and then had a few strong seasons in the NHL coming up are doomed for failure? Or is Cheechoo an uncommon anomaly that is completely unfair to apply to any player in this league

It's just as ridiculous as those that claim that Cory will be amazing beyond doubt because Roy won the cup as a rookie or that Lu will be good at 41 because Brouduer. these are rare happenings from some special players and a failure that shouldn't be applied as the standard.

In the end either goalie would be the least of our worries next season. Now our D and scoring on the other hand...

How'd that work out? Refresh my memory I didn't watch tthe playoffs this year....

I just heard lui started two games and then was benched in favor of Cory.

I'm assuming by what you're saying ... that Cory played better than lui and canucks are in the conference finals?

.... sigh.

I get you don't want to see how the changing landscape of the lowered cap hit and punishing CBA clauses relating to back diving contracts might be the biggest factor in trading Luongo, but that doesn't change the fact of where he stands in the history books.

If you check out HockeyReference.com (which uses a 250 game requirement for career stats) you can see that Luongo is 2nd among active goalies in total wins, saves and shutouts. He's also 3rd among active goalies (with 250 games) and 5th among all goalies in career SV%.

Want to go with another source? According to QuaintHockey (which uses a lower 200 game requirement for career stats), Luo is 19th in number of games played but 5th in career SV%, 15th in career shutouts, and 17th in career wins.

Luo also holds multiple individual season records. For example, Luo holds the first AND second position on the list of most saves made in a single season. (And he's on the list 6 more times.) Perhaps not surprisingly, he also holds the all time record for most shots faced in a single season for 2005/06 (in Florida.)

He holds the 13th spot for all time best single season (with at least 25 games played) SV%. (Fun Fact: Cory actually holds the 4th spot for 2011/12, which is still impressive even though his 33 game season was at least 5 fewer games than anyone else in the top 15. Luo's record season was 72 games long, which was matched by only one other player in the top 15 while all others played at least 5 fewer games. Both Cory and Luo hold multiple other spots on the list as well.)

Throughout his 13-year career (thus far), Luo has been in the top 10 league wide for SV% 8 times, in 2000/01 (7th, tie), 2001/02 (10th), 2002/03 (9th), 2003/04 (3rd), 2005/06 (9th), 2006/07 (4th), 2008/09 (5th), 2010/11 (3rd).

Luo has also been in the top 10 for playoff SV% 3 times, in 2007 (2nd), 2009 (8th) and 2011 (9th).

And let's not forget that little Jennings Trophy on his mantel, which he shared with Cory. And yes, he shared it. It was widely reported that Luo asked AV to put Cory in so he would meet the 25 games played in minimum so the young goalie could get his name on it as well. (Cory actually only started 22 games that year.) That kind of class alone is worth an entry into the Hall of Fame.

You argue we need to get younger, that Cory's cheaper (for now, remember his contract ends in just 2 years when he'll be making $4.5M and likely looking for a raise), or even that Luo might be at the point in his career where his numbers will decline while Cory is young enough that he could continue to improve, but you have no argument that Luo is not an elite goalie who has earned a spot in the record books!

Archived