Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

What makes people so confident in Schneider, as our number 1?

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#151 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

You want us to get younger and then u compare to penguins who are sitting the younger goalie over the more experienced?

Cory will never be better than Luongo. His absolute choke job on the playoffs proved it.

Talk to me when he has more playoff wins than playoff panic attacks.

Nah I was referring to dont put too much into goaltending only, in playoffs if whole team is doing good it can be any goalie that steps up. For example, Pittsburgs backup not their franchise goalie.

I think you are over stepping your experience thing buddy penguins number one goalie has alot experience playoff experience. Lol your're hilarious, he has a cup? No? Hahahhahahah what a joke hahahhahahah less palyoff experience theory has lol

I really don't care who's in net but i agree with all the media, canucks management that the team needs get younger. You're obviously in your own world with this constant goalie goalie goalie when the team has more issues.

Edited by Gonz, 30 May 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#152 mecomaker54

mecomaker54

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

yes he is very talented and can steal us games and can be absolutly lights out but I don't trust him. If you look back to the 2011 Playoffs, in game 6 i think it was? Schnieder "cramped" up but after he admitted that he had a panic attack, relatively no big deal since it hasnt occured again but what if that were to happen in the playoffs again and we would have to throw in our backup goalie against the likes of the Blackhawks,Ducks, or some other team with alot of firepower.

My point is I believe we should trade schnieder, I KNOW were not going to but it would make the most sense. There is an interest for Schnieder, Mike Gillis got 11 dif offers from teams at last years draft for schnieder. Luongo's contract is basically untradable considering where he wants to go (Florida), Luongo is already signed long term, he has consistent numbers,and is a veteran goalie that knows how to get the job done. I love Schnieder, he's a great guy with a great attitude but I just dont want him to be broken down by fans such as myself whenever he's having an off day.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#153 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:29 PM

Man I hope Lu stays an Eddie lack gets better. Think Apollo is going to go crazy if Lu gets traded. He already thinks Marc Andre theory doesn't have much playoff experience.

#154 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

This all or nothing approach is getting absurd. Why does a goalie have to be 100% perfect to be considered a success? Both Luongo and Schneider are better then average with hints of greatness, but there is no such thing as a perfect goalie. This city needs to get over its obcession with goalies and just let them be what they are - humans strapped with giant pads. We should be so lucky to have a young promising goalie who wants to appease the fans.

This is sports, there are ZERO guarentees for anything.

Shut up and enjoy the fact that its impossible to predict the future.

I'm not complaining about imperfection, I just think trading Schneider makes more sense. 100% support either way, just make it happen before our entire team gets osteoperosis!

#155 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

Does it matter who gets traded on this team. Either were going to eat some of the salary or get some prospects back. I just can't see us getting any blue chippers That will make a major impact on this team right away . Is there a guarantee that Loungo is going to be as good in 5 years? Will it matter!!. You want to win now, Sorry IMO our window of opportunity has closed already. They're too many holes that need to be address after watching what I've seen this past season and one trade isn't going to do it. A new coach will have a say in what type of players and style he wants and a Salary Cap that needs to get down that management have to deal with.

You could be right, maybe the window IS closed. Dammit, stupid denial!

#156 MrCanuck94

MrCanuck94

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

One of the best elite goaltenders in NHL history?

lol :) lol :)

Tell me why we can't even trade him for pick again? If he was that good his contract wouldn't be that bad, the reason his contract is that bad is because he can't play as well as its value.... And that's 5 mil a year. Seem like a bargain for one of the best elite goaltenders in NHL history, well unless your willing to admit that his game is on the decline???? Every GM in the the NHL knows what you don't wake up and smell the coffee.

Trying to convince yourself or what? It's just the length of the contract everyone knows that and the lower cap and us trying to cut down on cap hits making trades harder.

#157 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

The best season of Luongo's career he put up .931 sv% and 2.43 GAA. Schneider has already beaten that mark with .937 sv% and 1.96 GAA. Luongo's best playoff performance ever he got .941 sv% and 1.77 GAA. Schneider has beaten that mark again with .960 sv% and 1.31 GAA. Luongo's best performances of his entire career (in the distant past) have already fallen in Schneid's first 3 years.

"Succes" on a short period of time mean nothing at all, I really hope Cory won't be a bust(specially because he's on our team) like Jonathan Cheechoo but we never know until a player career his over.

Jonathan Cheechoo(played at least 65 games in each season)
2002-03 9 goals(rookie season)
2003-04 28 goals
lockout
2005-06 56 goals Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy winner
2006-07 37 goals
2007-08 23 goals
2008-09 12 goals
2009-10 5 goals
and now playing in the AHL

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#158 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Trying to convince yourself or what? It's just the length of the contract everyone knows that and the lower cap and us trying to cut down on cap hits making trades harder.

If he was one of the best goalies in NHL history then having a long contract with a low cap hit would be a plus and there would be a line of teams wanting him. He is not and never will be.

I'm not trying to convince my self of anything I know Lou is at times a great goalie but when you say he is one of the best in NHL history your being sarcastic or are nuts, he's almost not even one of the top ten of current goalies. If you were to say he is one of the top 50 goalies in NHL history I'd buy that.

#159 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

"Succes" on a short period of time mean nothing at all, I really hope Cory won't be a bust(specially because he's on our team) like Jonathan Cheechoo but we never know until a player career his over.

2003-04 28 goals
lockout
2006-07 37 goals
2007-08 23 goals
2008-09 12 goals
2009-10 5 goals

Because Cory has never been a flash in the pan out of nowhere fluke guy. He's excelled in every level and it's no surprise to anyone that he emerged as a guy that can be any teams number 1.

You make it like he's a risky guy we never heard of and playing above his level that cannot be sustained.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#160 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

2003-04 28 goals
lockout
2006-07 37 goals
2007-08 23 goals
2008-09 12 goals
2009-10 5 goals

We should pick up cheechoo, he may be worth a shot in a new system. You can always send him back to the AHL if it doesn't work.

#161 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

We should pick up cheechoo, he may be worth a shot in a new system. You can always send him back to the AHL if it doesn't work.

Dear lord no.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#162 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Because Cory has never been a flash in the pan out of nowhere fluke guy. He's excelled in every level and it's no surprise to anyone that he emerged as a guy that can be any teams number 1.

You make it like he's a risky guy we never heard of and playing above his level that cannot be sustained.

Cheechoo wasn't coming from nowhere(2nd round pick, 29 overall so he would have been a 1st round pick today) he scored 101 goals in his 3 years in the OHL, Taylor Hall 1st pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers scored 123 goals in 3 years, so when you score 22 more goals split on 3 seasons, from beeing a nobody you became a 1st pick overall?

In his 1st AHL season he scored 32 goals and the season after he scored 21 goals in 53 games, if you take 10 seasons(1997-98 to 2007-08 excluding the lockout season) of Cheechoo from the OHL to the NHL he scored at least 30 goals in 6 of those(3 time in the OHL, 1 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL) like i said in his 2nd season in the NHL he scored 21 goals in 53 games, do you math that's over 30 goals on a full season, before the lockout, like I showed in a previous post he scored 28 goals and in 2007-08 he scored 23 goals in 69 games so he would have been close to 30 playing the 13 games left. So here we talk about a 30 goals scorer for 9 out of 10 of those season.

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#163 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think you're reading too much into my post. All I was pointing out was that the very best performances of Luongo's long career have already been beaten in just a few short seasons by Schneider. It shows that Luongo isn't really the legend of goaltending that he's frequently made out to be and that Schneider does have the capacity to be better than Luongo ever was.

Then you missed the point of my post entirely. You're comparing seasons that aren't comparable. When Luo's best playoff year was 4x longer than Cory's, you can't say Cory's a better goalie. You have no way of knowing if he could have kept up those numbers past 3 games. When Cory's best season is half the length of Luo's best, you can't say Cory's better when, again, you don't know if he could have maintained those numbers. You're comparing non-comparables and then completely ignoring the few examples which are more comparable because you don't want to see what they show, that Cory may have the potential for bigger breakdowns than Luo. What you don't get is that if it's too early to know if Cory will have bigger breakdowns (which it is), it's just as too early to know if he can be better. If you want to pretend you can actually compare them, you need to look at both ends of the spectrum, not just the one that bolsters your opinion that Cory must be better based on playing a couple of half seasons and 6 playoff starts.

My point is that Luo is a good goaltender. He's not perfect but no goalie is. The biggest failure is on the part of the fans who expected perfection from him. Likewise, people like you are already touting Cory as being "better than Luongo ever was" with no real way of knowing if that's true at this point. Maybe he will be. Maybe he'll be worse. Likely he'll be around the same, only younger and we should be over the moon if that turns out to be the truth. Instead, the people saying he must be better than Luongo based on nothing more than wishful thinking and only half considered facts are setting him up for failure for only managing to be as good as the best goalie this franchise has ever had. Basically you're saying, "Hey, Cory. Be better than the best or you are a complete failure." Do you really not see the flaw in that so called logic?

Edited by poetica, 31 May 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#164 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cheechoo wasn't coming from nowhere(2nd round pick, 29 overall so he would have been a 1st round pick today) he scored 101 goals in his 3 years in the OHL, Taylor Hall 1st pick overall by the Edmonton Oilers scored 123 goals in 3 years, so when you score 22 more goals split on 3 seasons, from beeing a nobody you became a 1st pick overall?

In his 1st AHL season he scored 32 goals and the season after he scored 21 goals in 53 games, if you take 10 seasons(1997-98 to 2007-08 excluding the lockout season) of Cheechoo from the OHL to the NHL he scored at least 30 goals in 6 of those(3 time in the OHL, 1 in the AHL, 2 in the NHL) like i said in his 2nd season in the NHL he scored 21 goals in 53 games, do you math that's over 30 goals on a full season, before the lockout, like I showed in a previous post he scored 28 goals and in 2007-08 he scored 23 goals in 69 games so he would have been close to 30 playing the 13 games left. So here we talk about a 30 goals scorer for 9 out of 10 of those season.

So because Cheechoo tailed off every player that played good in the AHL and then had a few strong seasons in the NHL coming up are doomed for failure? Or is Cheechoo an uncommon anomaly that is completely unfair to apply to any player in this league

It's just as ridiculous as those that claim that Cory will be amazing beyond doubt because Roy won the cup as a rookie or that Lu will be good at 41 because Brouduer. these are rare happenings from some special players and a failure that shouldn't be applied as the standard.

In the end either goalie would be the least of our worries next season. Now our D and scoring on the other hand...

Edited by TimberWolf, 31 May 2013 - 10:31 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#165 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Man I hope Lu stays an Eddie lack gets better. Think Apollo is going to go crazy if Lu gets traded. He already thinks Marc Andre theory doesn't have much playoff experience.

MAF sucks. He has his cup because of the team infront of him. Alex auld would be good if he played infront of the pens.

Ok he doesn't suck but imo he's not even top 20 in the league.
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my book. Go Canucks Go!
Florida Panthers GM -  2014-15 Shapheat FHL

#166 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

MAF sucks. He has his cup because of the team infront of him. Alex auld would be good if he played infront of the pens.

At least he has something in common with Lu, being benched in the playoffs lol

#167 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

Was Luongo a top 20 in the league this year? Stats sure don't say he was.

#168 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

At least he has something in common with Lu, being benched in the playoffs lol

How'd that work out? Refresh my memory I didn't watch tthe playoffs this year....

I just heard lui started two games and then was benched in favor of Cory.

I'm assuming by what you're saying ... that Cory played better than lui and canucks are in the conference finals?

.... sigh.
The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my book. Go Canucks Go!

#169 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

If he was one of the best goalies in NHL history then having a long contract with a low cap hit would be a plus and there would be a line of teams wanting him. He is not and never will be.

I'm not trying to convince my self of anything I know Lou is at times a great goalie but when you say he is one of the best in NHL history your being sarcastic or are nuts, he's almost not even one of the top ten of current goalies. If you were to say he is one of the top 50 goalies in NHL history I'd buy that.

I get you don't want to see how the changing landscape of the lowered cap hit and punishing CBA clauses relating to back diving contracts might be the biggest factor in trading Luongo, but that doesn't change the fact of where he stands in the history books.

If you check out HockeyReference.com (which uses a 250 game requirement for career stats) you can see that Luongo is 2nd among active goalies in total wins, saves and shutouts. He's also 3rd among active goalies (with 250 games) and 5th among all goalies in career SV%.

Want to go with another source? According to QuaintHockey (which uses a lower 200 game requirement for career stats), Luo is 19th in number of games played but 5th in career SV%, 15th in career shutouts, and 17th in career wins.

Luo also holds multiple individual season records. For example, Luo holds the first AND second position on the list of most saves made in a single season. (And he's on the list 6 more times.) Perhaps not surprisingly, he also holds the all time record for most shots faced in a single season for 2005/06 (in Florida.)

He holds the 13th spot for all time best single season (with at least 25 games played) SV%. (Fun Fact: Cory actually holds the 4th spot for 2011/12, which is still impressive even though his 33 game season was at least 5 fewer games than anyone else in the top 15. Luo's record season was 72 games long, which was matched by only one other player in the top 15 while all others played at least 5 fewer games. Both Cory and Luo hold multiple other spots on the list as well.)

Throughout his 13-year career (thus far), Luo has been in the top 10 league wide for SV% 8 times, in 2000/01 (7th, tie), 2001/02 (10th), 2002/03 (9th), 2003/04 (3rd), 2005/06 (9th), 2006/07 (4th), 2008/09 (5th), 2010/11 (3rd).

Luo has also been in the top 10 for playoff SV% 3 times, in 2007 (2nd), 2009 (8th) and 2011 (9th).

And let's not forget that little Jennings Trophy on his mantel, which he shared with Cory. And yes, he shared it. It was widely reported that Luo asked AV to put Cory in so he would meet the 25 games played in minimum so the young goalie could get his name on it as well. (Cory actually only started 22 games that year.) That kind of class alone is worth an entry into the Hall of Fame.

You argue we need to get younger, that Cory's cheaper (for now, remember his contract ends in just 2 years when he'll be making $4.5M and likely looking for a raise), or even that Luo might be at the point in his career where his numbers will decline while Cory is young enough that he could continue to improve, but you have no argument that Luo is not an elite goalie who has earned a spot in the record books!

Edited by poetica, 31 May 2013 - 12:48 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#170 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

Was Luongo a top 20 in the league this year? Stats sure don't say he was.

That's true. This year, when he was supposed to be traded but wasn't and was constantly harassed about it by the media, was treated like crap by his team (think last home game for just one example!) and left in for games he shouldn't have been, allowing his stats to take a hit, he ended up just 31st on the list this year. That was barely ahead of other known bums like Price, Quick, Brodeur, and Halak.

But Luo was in the top 20 last year (12th).

And the year before that (4th).

And the year before that (18th).

And the year before that (5th).

And the year before that (14th).

And the year before that (9th).

And the year before that (3rd).

And the year before that (10th).

And the year before that (8th).

Edited by poetica, 31 May 2013 - 01:09 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#171 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

That's true. This year, when he was supposed to be traded but wasn't and was constantly harassed about it by the media, was treated like crap by his team (think last home game for just one example!) and left in for games he shouldn't have been, allowing his stats to take a hit, he ended up just 31st on the list this year. That was barely ahead of other known bums like Price, Quick, Brodeur, and Halak.

And the year before that (3rd).

So in the last 12 years his average is not top 10 but he is one of the best all time goalies ever?

If his average is not in the top 10 then he's a middle of the pack goalie plain and simple. Sure he is capable of playing lights out but common. He was lucky to be playing on a PT Canucks team that played him most games, that helps out his overall wins and shutouts but he should not be on the list of top all time goalies.

Can you please remove Cory from you sig it offends me, you have never once defended him only repeatedly let us know how much better Lou is and then come back with but I have Cory name on my sig "I support both goalies BS (being silly)"
Just remove it and admit you a Lou homer.

#172 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,261 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

And the year before that (3rd)."

That consistency is why he is elite. I doubt too many other goalies have those stats

Brodeur roy hasek lund .... belfour? I surely can't name ten.

#173 MrCanuck94

MrCanuck94

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I get you don't want to see how the changing landscape of the lowered cap hit and punishing CBA clauses relating to back diving contracts might be the biggest factor in trading Luongo, but that doesn't change the fact of where he stands in the history books.

If you check out HockeyReference.com (which uses a 250 game requirement for career stats) you can see that Luongo is 2nd among active goalies in total wins, saves and shutouts. He's also 3rd among active goalies (with 250 games) and 5th among all goalies in career SV%.

Want to go with another source? According to QuaintHockey (which uses a lower 200 game requirement for career stats), Luo is 19th in number of games played but 5th in career SV%, 15th in career shutouts, and 17th in career wins.

Luo also holds multiple individual season records. For example, Luo holds the first AND second position on the list of most saves made in a single season. (And he's on the list 6 more times.) Perhaps not surprisingly, he also holds the all time record for most shots faced in a single season for 2005/06 (in Florida.)

He holds the 13th spot for all time best single season (with at least 25 games played) SV%. (Fun Fact: Cory actually holds the 4th spot for 2011/12, which is still impressive even though his 33 game season was at least 5 fewer games than anyone else in the top 15. Luo's record season was 72 games long, which was matched by only one other player in the top 15 while all others played at least 5 fewer games. Both Cory and Luo hold multiple other spots on the list as well.)

Throughout his 13-year career (thus far), Luo has been in the top 10 league wide for SV% 8 times, in 2000/01 (7th, tie), 2001/02 (10th), 2002/03 (9th), 2003/04 (3rd), 2005/06 (9th), 2006/07 (4th), 2008/09 (5th), 2010/11 (3rd).

Luo has also been in the top 10 for playoff SV% 3 times, in 2007 (2nd), 2009 (8th) and 2011 (9th).

And let's not forget that little Jennings Trophy on his mantel, which he shared with Cory. And yes, he shared it. It was widely reported that Luo asked AV to put Cory in so he would meet the 25 games played in minimum so the young goalie could get his name on it as well. (Cory actually only started 22 games that year.) That kind of class alone is worth an entry into the Hall of Fame.

You argue we need to get younger, that Cory's cheaper (for now, remember his contract ends in just 2 years when he'll be making $4.5M and likely looking for a raise), or even that Luo might be at the point in his career where his numbers will decline while Cory is young enough that he could continue to improve, but you have no argument that Luo is not an elite goalie who has earned a spot in the record books!

Bingo

#174 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

So in the last 12 years his average is not top 10 but he is one of the best all time goalies ever?

If his average is not in the top 10 then he's a middle of the pack goalie plain and simple. Sure he is capable of playing lights out but common. He was lucky to be playing on a PT Canucks team that played him most games, that helps out his overall wins and shutouts but he should not be on the list of top all time goalies.

First, huh? You can't just average his position on the list of top 20 goalies per year to determine where he would actually stand on the list of overall SV% over the last 12 years because not all goalies made the list each year. (And even if you did you'd still be wrong.) You'd have to look at the SV% for every single goalie who did make the list over the last 12 years to see where Luo would stand. Seems kind of pointless, but if you're willing to do the math to figure that out, go for it!

Second, do you really not pay attention? Luo not only made the top 20 in 11 different years, he was top 10 in 8 of them. That means over his 13-year NHL career, Luo's SV% was in the top 10 for the regular season 62% of the time. That sure sounds elite to me. But if you'd like to argue it's not, feel free to compare it to the number of times other goalies have made the list over a similar time period. I'd love to see the results.

Third, check your stats again (or, you know, for the first time.) Luo's stats in Florida were actually very good. He had a season low SV% there of .914. Furthermore, his stats were not padded here by additional starts because he actually started around the same number of games per season here as he did in Florida.

Games played by season
Florida - 47, 58, 65, 72, and 75 (season average: 63.4)
Canucks - 76, 73, 54, 68, 60, 55, and 20 (season average: 58, season average not including this year, 64.3)

As you can see, his number of games for both teams were in line with what other goalies were playing and even if you exclude this odd season (because it was a half season and he was backup) his games per season average is not even 1 game above his average from Florida. That's hardly enough to pad his stats. And certainly not enough to gift him freaking shutouts! (And I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't have earned his shutouts, unlike I'm guessing every other goalie. Do you think Cory didn't earn his because he also had the Canucks in front of him? Seriously, what is the logic there?)

Can you please remove Cory from you sig it offends me, you have never once defended him only repeatedly let us know how much better Lou is and then come back with but I have Cory name on my sig "I support both goalies BS (being silly)"
Just remove it and admit you a Lou homer.

Wow, you really don't bother to fact check anything do you? I've actually repeatedly defended Cory in multiple posts in multiple threads. And the biggest part of what I've tried to defend him against is unrealistic expectations based on nothing more than wishful thinking that will be used against him later. You are not supporting him by pretending that we can know how great he will be when we don't. If he turns out to be as good as Luo for as long, we should be ecstatic! You are not supporting him by telling him he has to be better than the best goalie this franchise has ever had or else he's a failure.

It's not my fault that you apparently confuse trashing one player with supporting another, or vice versa. If knowing that defending one of them in no way diminishes the talent or accomplishments of the other makes me a "homer" then I guess I am. And proud of it! We could use a lot more.

So, no, I won't be removing Cory's name and I don't really care what you are offended by, especially when you can't tell the difference between a signature and a freaking avatar!

Edited by poetica, 31 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#175 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

So because Cheechoo tailed off every player that played good in the AHL and then had a few strong seasons in the NHL coming up are doomed for failure? Or is Cheechoo an uncommon anomaly that is completely unfair to apply to any player in this league

It's just as ridiculous as those that claim that Cory will be amazing beyond doubt because Roy won the cup as a rookie or that Lu will be good at 41 because Brouduer. these are rare happenings from some special players and a failure that shouldn't be applied as the standard.

In the end either goalie would be the least of our worries next season. Now our D and scoring on the other hand...

I'm not saying Cory stats will go down and we talk about him refering to the past, I was just saying it isn't because an athlete had great performance on 2 or 3 seasons that guarantee he'll bi that good for the next 5 years.

The stats about Cheechoo are just to tell an other poster who said Cheechoo came out of nowhere had 2 or 3 good seasons in the NHL and that's all

But honestly I hope Cory will be as good as he showed us in the past years, because the management will keep him, even if I want him out because he had a selfish attitude when he decide to play game #3 against the Sharks.

#176 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

He doesn't have a full season under his belt and he's in his late twenties.

He also gas only 1 playoff win.

People like him because they hate luongo.

Perfect comment. If he was supposedly the better goalie over Luongo, why did Luongo play better in both series of the last two years. I still wonder if we could have won game three, with Luongo playing the way he did this year,

Luongo also played incredible considering the lack of playing time he has before playoffs.
Posted Image

#177 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

How'd that work out? Refresh my memory I didn't watch tthe playoffs this year....

I just heard lui started two games and then was benched in favor of Cory.

I'm assuming by what you're saying ... that Cory played better than lui and canucks are in the conference finals?

.... sigh.

Lol both 0 wins and 2 losses though

And one just got off an injury and want 100 percent

Edited by Gonz, 31 May 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#178 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

All of those stats represent the old Lou...now look at his stats over the last 2 years...they don't measure up. Goaltending is about today not 3 or 5 years ago. Get with the times cuz yur all about the past.

#179 MrCanuck94

MrCanuck94

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

All of those stats represent the old Lou...now look at his stats over the last 2 years...they don't measure up. Goaltending is about today not 3 or 5 years ago. Get with the times cuz yur all about the past.

Alright, lets get with the times. Last series I'm pretty sure Lu was the better goalie?

#180 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Damn Apollo you ain't going to be happy about this:

http://www.torontosu...to-canucks-camp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.