The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

Brad Zeimer is an idiot from PoCo. We all can read CapGeek.com

We supposedly have 7.49 M with Lack as our backup and Corrado on our roster already (check capgeek).

Here's my analysis:

• Weise gets Sestito money = 750K

• Lain gets 650K

• Tanev gets 1.35M

• Schroeder 1M******Now figure the 3rd line Centre will be filled with one of our prospects, be it Schroeder, Horvat or Gaunce - all under 1M

That leaves us with roughly 3.75M for a 2nd Liner and a Depth Defensemen (Jonathan Blum is a good idea for cheap)

My thinking is that some of the new contracts will be bottom loaded for cap relief and that Canucks will go hard on Weiss for that 2nd line spot. Tanev might make just 1M this year and 1.5 next year etc etc. Right now they just need to scrounge but Gilman is a CBA expert and I wouldn't worry too much now that Ballard is bought out.

It's rough for sure, and won't leave us much room, but it's what will need to be done. Basically if the Canucks can't get a 2nd liner and just tries to fill the 2nd line with a hopeful prospect, they wont get very far. 2nd liners go hot and cold and prospects have the toughest time with consistency.

I have faith that the Canucks will get it done though.

BTW the reason I think Canucks WILL go for a 2nd liner is their already posting articles looking at 2nd liners specifically: http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

Pretty dumb to post stuff like that and come out of Free Agency empty-handed. ie: not many Season Ticket holders will be happy, esp if their raising prices.

When Gillis said we were going to 're-set' the team I had the idea that some of our core players would become expendable, they're not getting any younger and their point production will decline too, but then again it's difficult to trade these players when they all have NTC's honestly I get the feeling Gillis is still acting like an agent and giving the best possible contract for the player, how many times have contract negotiations lasted for a prolonged period of time (I know Kesler's was long but he wanted to finish the season if I remember correctly).

Someone on the team has to move to alleviate the cap pressure we're under but I doubt it will happen with Gillis's track record on the FA day

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again:

We currently have $7,497,222 in cap space. Trade Booth as a cap dump to a team with a good amount of cap space and we'll have $11,747,222, add in Tanev's $2 million and Weise's $750K as suggested and sign Lappy for $1.5 million a year and we're left with the exact same amount we currently have. Plenty of room to sign a guy like Horton, Iginla, or Clowe.

IF Tanev was be had at $1.35M it would be months ago. In one day he will be allowed to sign offer sheets. THe Canucks would be lucky to get him back at a $2M cap hit at this point. $1.35M isn't happening. IF Gilman is such a cap expert why are the Canucks in amongst the worst cap shape in the league?

Everyone talks about the Flyers being in bad cap shape but in reality they aren't that bad. Yes they need to sign a Goalie but otherwise their roster is filled out and they will get $5M in cap space from Pronger's injury.

Unless Lapierre would be willing to take $1.1 million or less I don't see him coming back. But here's a roster I came up with

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Hunter Shinkaruk ($1.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Matt Hendricks ($1.100m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Scott Hannan ($0.800m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,459,444; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,056

Hold on guys, I have a question here.

We traded Cory Schneider, so that's 4 million gone.

We bought out Keith Ballard, so that's 4.2 million gone.

Cap geek had the exact same line up as they have now when Keith Ballard was on there and we had 4 million in cap space then.

WHY DON'T WE HAVE 8.2 MILLION IN CAP SPACE?!

Lappy is the only one of those three I'll miss. I don't see how we can't play Schroeder as one of our centres. He has the most NHL experience of our prospects and is still cheap.

Edit: Just remember Schroeder is an RFA. Well, we can assume he'll still be cheap since he hasn't done much to deserve much of a pay raise and I doubt any other teams have their sights set on him.

Exactly. He probably was suggesting the Canucks trade Ballard for a 2nd round pick recently too. No team will trade for Booth just like no team would trade for Ballard. IF Booth went on waivers tomorrow he would clear.

Booth is an important player for the Canucks if they will have any success this year but right now the Canucks just have to "pray" he will have a better season.

Actually putting Booth on waivers is a move I would do If I was the GM of the Canucks right now. You can always hope someone is dumb enough to pick him up.

Unless Lapierre would be willing to take $1.1 million or less I don't see him coming back. But here's a roster I came up with

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Hunter Shinkaruk ($1.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Matt Hendricks ($1.100m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)

Scott Hannan ($0.800m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,459,444; BONUSES: $162,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,056

Eventually you have to play your young players and let the older guys go.

The cap went down by $10M, so this is the only way

Lappy, Raymond and Alberts have been good players for the team

each in their own way had shortcomings, just as young players will too.

I don't think that it is going to be Oh No!

We are not going to win the Stanley Cup because we don't have Lappy, Raymond and Alberts in the lineup.

These three guys are not impact players.

Lets give our young players a chance and see what they can bring.

They say Torts is a good teacher with the young players

No better time to start getting these guys some ice time

Archived