The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

I think they'll go hard after Boyd Gordon. His faceoff and defensive ability will be a huge draw for Gillis who obviously valued Manny enough to give him 2.5 with a NTC. He'd be huge for our center depth and 4th line. I think he would allow Schroeder his place on the team as well. Something like:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($0.851m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.525m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Joacim Eriksson ($0.925m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,418,611; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $806,389

I am betting Jensen makes the team. I think he's ready and he would look excellent next to Kesler/Burrows as he plays a 2-way game while adding offensive skills that compliment those two. Kassian and Hansen are interchangeable for any time Kassian's play falls off.

Burrows can always be moved but I think he would instantly make Kesler more accountable to playing team based offense instead of feeling he has to do everything on his own.

Booth doesn't have the brain for the second line. He has the size and speed to be a weapon on the third playing with a playmaking C. Schroeder needs size and a net crasher on his line. This seems like a good fit for both players. I think Horvat's offense would benefit greatly from another year in junior. Gaunce, I think is a possibility if they are ready to move on from Schroeder, but I wouldn't give up on Schroeder quite yet. That decision should wait until we see him this year.

We may have to replace Alberts, but I didn't have any Dman in mind so I left 1.5 as a placeholder. Lack could be up instead of Eriksson as well, but who knows really.

I think they'll go hard after Boyd Gordon. His faceoff and defensive ability will be a huge draw for Gillis who obviously valued Manny enough to give him 2.5 with a NTC. He'd be huge for our center depth and 4th line. I think he would allow Schroeder his place on the team as well. Something like:

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($0.851m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.525m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Joacim Eriksson ($0.925m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,418,611; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $806,389

I am betting Jensen makes the team. I think he's ready and he would look excellent next to Kesler/Burrows as he plays a 2-way game while adding offensive skills that compliment those two. Kassian and Hansen are interchangeable for any time Kassian's play falls off.

Burrows can always be moved but I think he would instantly make Kesler more accountable to playing team based offense instead of feeling he has to do everything on his own.

Booth doesn't have the brain for the second line. He has the size and speed to be a weapon on the third playing with a playmaking C. Schroeder needs size and a net crasher on his line. This seems like a good fit for both players. I think Horvat's offense would benefit greatly from another year in junior. Gaunce, I think is a possibility if they are ready to move on from Schroeder, but I wouldn't give up on Schroeder quite yet. That decision should wait until we see him this year.

We may have to replace Alberts, but I didn't have any Dman in mind so I left 1.5 as a placeholder. Lack could be up instead of Eriksson as well, but who knows really.

If any of us made as many mistakes at our jobs as mr gillis has made in his , we would be fired .. not only should mike be punted , but the aquilinis should sell to a vancouver group that cares as much about winning a cup as they do about making a profit . this ownership group is classless ..

I don't get how we sign Weiss and Tostito and get rid of Lappy. Don't sign those two idiots and keep lappy and put him on the wing with Lain then. Ridiculous.

Our leader in hits and we let hime walk when we don't play physical enough - sound familiar? Torres...2.0

I am really tired of MG 'hoping' these retreads do their job. Guess what MG, Tostito is too slow, can't fight, can't hit. Weiss skates real fast and doesn't hit anything but the boards, thinks he's a scorer and you keep them?

MG is ret arded.

Lappy is a good guy, but he's only valuable in short stints as a guy who comes in to a team to add another dimension of annoying. He's not an every day player and his antics are old news for teams playing the Canucks. Raymond is another guy who has been a good Canuck but he's not going to be the 20-30 goal guy he was hoped to be, and eventhough he became a well rounded player, we have guys in the system that should be able to do more in that role with that kind of ice time wether that's an AHL'er ready to take that step, or Higgins/Hansen. Even a mythical healthy Booth is an improvement there.

I'm OK with letting Yappy Lappy go, but Gillis is still on the hotseat here. If he can trade Booth to a team that needs to get to the cap floor, like Boston did last year with Thomas, and then sign Iggy, or another top six UFA, then there's hope, but I doubt this will happen.

What teams need to get to the cap floor and what is the cap floor this year?

Archived